Complete [Science Fiction] Urania by Camille Flammarion-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

NovellaSerena wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm Are sections 19 (and 18?) still available?
Hi,
I signed you up for Sections 18 and 19.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

We are fully subscribed now so I'll move us to Readers Found.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
sophiatbow

Post by sophiatbow »

Here's section 15 (20:16). So sorry about the background hum, I tried to do as much noise cleaning as I could without distorting my voice, but it still ends up being there. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/urania_15_flammarion_128kb.mp3
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Sophia,
I worked on this file. Compressed>Amplified 2.9>Noise cleaned>selected new Noise and noise cleaned it again. The file also needed 5 seconds of silence at the end.
It passes the checker now.

Phil Chenevert is our resident Audacity guru. He makes videos on how to do most everything in audacity. Here is a video he made on "Using the NOTCH FILTER to remove a 90 Hz hum."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4QvQXkPPI&feature=youtu.be
This may be the solution.
His other videos are in this thread: Video Tutorials for Librivox
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33439&hilit=hum
Also, in the Need Help forum if you ask a question someone is bound to know what to do.

We can use the file I updated or you can work with the notch filter to see if you can work it out. Please add 5 seconds of silence at the end if you do submit a new version.
This recording is fine now but it is worth figuring out what is causing the hum before you work on another.
Thanks for Section 15,
-Amy
slimzim

Post by slimzim »

alg1001 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:23 am
slimzim wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:49 pm I'm new - can I start with Section 13 and see how it goes?
Hi,
It is yours. I hope it goes well.
Thanks,
-Amy
Hi Amy, here's my submission of Section 13. I welcome any and all feedback! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/urania_12_flammarion_128kb.mp3
Duration: 14:41
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
I look forward to listening. There is an issue with the filename. You have to number file with the section number, so this one is urania_13_flammarion_128kb
The files with the same name are renamed and the one in the mw is replaced with the new one so your section 13 is in section 12. I will change it. It is something to be careful of in the future.
I will PL soon.
Thanks,
-Amy
slimzim

Post by slimzim »

Whoops! :shock: You're absolutely right - I was using the file from the preceding section as a model and I forgot to change the filename after copying and pasting. I'll be more careful next time - thank you for your patience!
NovellaSerena

Post by NovellaSerena »

alg1001 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 8:32 pm Hi,
I signed you up for Sections 18 and 19.
Thanks,
-Amy
Thanks! :D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

slimzim wrote: January 30th, 2021, 5:22 am Whoops! :shock: You're absolutely right - I was using the file from the preceding section as a model and I forgot to change the filename after copying and pasting. I'll be more careful next time - thank you for your patience!
Hi Slimzim,
It is no problem. I proof listening Section 13. It is an engaging reading!
There are just 2 updates needed. Please noise clean the file and at 4:25 insert Côtes-du-Nord.
After the changes, please re-upload it when you have a chance.
Thanks!
-Amy
dhandiR

Post by dhandiR »

No
-Bill Nye, probably
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

sophiatbow wrote: January 29th, 2021, 12:06 am Here's section 15 (20:16). So sorry about the background hum, I tried to do as much noise cleaning as I could without distorting my voice, but it still ends up being there. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Hi Sophia,
As mentioned in the other post, I did some work on the file and added 5 seconds to the end. The static is still in your voice but the silence is clean. Your reading is wonderful. I don't think you should have to rerecord it.
You really need to get to the bottom of what caused the hum whether it is an appliance, your microphone settings or even your computer.
There are many resources and people more tech savvy than me in the "Need Help? Got Advice?" forum. They can clear this up so your voice will be heard as it should be in your future recordings.
Thanks for your Section!
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi dhandiR,
I had a chance so I have PL'd already. Your reading is very engaging!
Section 12 is pl ok. Thank you for updating it.
Section 14 has a few edits needed:
-Amplify by 5db ((If it says that will cause clipping, use the compressor first and that will take the peaks down so there will be no clipping.)
-@9:14 I hear Madame instead of Monsieur
“He told her that he saw M. de Marteville's spirit the night before, and that he informed him that he was going to his widow."
-@14:36 skipped text in bold.” as in dreams, but may be purely subjective and interior. Just as a thought, a memory, may arouse an image in our minds which may be very distinct and very vivid, just so one intelligence acting upon another may make an image appear in him which will for a moment give him the illusion of reality.
Please update the file when you have a chance and reupload it.
Thank you!
-Amy
BaAdoMishram

Post by BaAdoMishram »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

BaAdoMishram wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:14 am Section 16 (36:52)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/urania_16_flammarion_128kb.mp3
Thank you! I'll PL soon.
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

BaAdoMishram wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:14 am Section 16 (36:52)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/urania_16_flammarion_128kb.mp3
Nice reading! Section 16 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Thanks!
-Amy