COMPLETE: Wild Life on a Norfolk Estuary - by Arthur Henry Patterson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I came across this blog entry about Patterson today: https://norfolkrecordofficeblog.org/2015/07/14/norfolks-local-naturalist-and-writer/

I'm sure you have previously seen it, but it occurs to me that either the photo of Patterson in his boat, or the caricature he did of himself pushing the pram, would be great images for the cover of this or another Patterson project!

Also given your interest in the area (do you live in the area? I forget if I have asked this previously) you might be interested in a recording I just finished for the current Insomnia Collection -- it's from the Norfolk Annals, a 2 volume collection of local news covering the whole 19th century that was basically (it appears) whimsically culled from the newspapers of the time. Since it was published in 1901, our friend Patterson may even have owned it or read it! I wonder if some of his newspaper writings will be included in the later volume.

I had thoughts of doing the whole two volumes since I kind of love the "forgotten local news" genre but it would be a massive undertaking that probably no one would everl listen to, so I'm scratching the itch by doing some excerpts for this and future insomnia collections....

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

ColleenMc wrote: June 1st, 2021, 6:46 am You are very dedicated and I'm looking forward to working with you on more of these projects!
I really like the writing style and the subject matter of AHP, which makes recording his books such a delightful task. (I only wish that the task of editing was as enjoyable!). And I too look forward to working with you on future Broads projects.
I was also thinking that his writings could be a cool basis for a middle-grades kid lit book ...
I think that it would be interesting to have AHP's work included as part of a series, which could include stories of other communities around the world that live next to, or make their living from the rivers or seas.
I came across this blog entry about Patterson today: https://norfolkrecordofficeblog.org/2015/07/14/norfolks-local-naturalist-and-writer/

I'm sure you have previously seen it, but it occurs to me that either the photo of Patterson in his boat, or the caricature he did of himself pushing the pram, would be great images for the cover of this or another Patterson project!
Hmm, the caricature of himself pushing the pram could be a good fit for a future project - one that I have in mind would include a number of the numerous articles that he wrote over the years for various publications.

Interestingly, the graphic that you have highlighted provides a neat pointer to our next project - a book by Walter Rye!
Also given your interest in the area (do you live in the area? I forget if I have asked this previously) ...
No, you hadn't asked me before but it would be a fair guess to assume that I do indeed live in the area - Although not in Broadland itself but within a just few miles from the edge of the Broads! :)
... you might be interested in a recording I just finished for the current Insomnia Collection -- it's from the Norfolk Annals ...
I'll look forward to checking it out when the project gets released! :)
I had thoughts of doing the whole two volumes since I kind of love the "forgotten local news" genre ...
If you do record any more from this in the future, then make sure you let me know.

Another author whose writing style and subjects that I really like since they are very similar to AHP is the writer, Adrian Bell. Not quite the intensive naturalist as our old friend AHP but he would possibly be considered a more ruralist writer.

His titles include: A Countryman’s Notebook, Corduroy, Men and the Fields amongst many others.

Unfortunately for me, his works won't enter the PD for another 30 years!

Anyway, final section 29 is now uploaded - thanks for all your help in PLing the project and for Jo in MCing it as well.

Cheers

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I will get to it this weekend I think—I have a looming work deadline and procrastination always raises my LibriVox productivity!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Well it took longer than expected, but I’m finally finished! Last section is PL OK!

I’m looking forward to your next project!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations TND on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/wild-life-on-a-norfolk-estuary-by-arthur-henry-patterson/
Jo