COMPLETE SOLO The Flight of the Heron by D. K. Broster-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elin

Post by Elin »

The Flight of the Heron by D. K. Broster (1877 - 1950).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-flight-of-the-heron-by-d-k-broster/
( )
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): Physical copy
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Flight of the Heron. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Flight of the Heron, by D. K. Broster. [Part number, chapter number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Flight of the Heron by D. K. Broster. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[part number, chapter number, title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Flight of the Heron, by D. K. Broster. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename flightoftheheron_##_broster_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flightoftheheron_01_broster_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Elin

Post by Elin »

If you're thinking about being DPL, you can read about the book here: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20200150. It's a great read and one of my favorite books! : D

I will upload photos of my physical book to the MC so you can see that it's a first edition. I guess it might turn up as a public domain book online soon (I'm not sure whether the above ebook is produced from a book with 1925 copyright or not), but anyway my computer has an occasionally annoying fan noise, so I'd prefer to read from the physical book anyway.

The book has both parts and chapters, and the chapter numbers restart at the beginning of each part. So I guess I'll need to say something like: "Part 1 chapter 1" etc. Also the parts have names, but not the chapters, so I guess I'll say that name when a new part begins.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Elin,
I can MC this for you. Please upload the title page with publication date to my folder.
I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is set up.

Since you've got parts in addition to chapters, I suggest you start each section with "section ##", then when it's time to give the title, say "Part ##, Chapter ##, title". That way someone who's listening knows right away that the sections are coming in order, whatever the part/chapter address is.

MaryAnn
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! I've uploaded the photos to you now in a zip file.

And will do, with the sections!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, I would love to DPL for you. This looks like a great book.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Elin

Post by Elin »

Welcome, LCaulkins! : )

MaryAnn, could you confirm that you got the photos of the book and that it's okay to record from? On the page with the actual printing year, there's no title, but you can see it "shining through" from the other side of the page. And also it does say 1925 on the title page too.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Elin, that source is fine.
Lynda - I've added you to the MW.
MaryAnn
Elin

Post by Elin »

First section up.

MaryAnn, I forgot if there should be metadata in the file, and it doesn't say anything about it above...
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Elin,

I deleted that from the first post. It's taken care of by our cataloging software.

MaryAnn
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Elin :)

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story!

Section 1 notes:

Your recording is great. You'll be a natural in LibriVox. :)
Volume is in the correct range; opening silence is good, ending silence is a wee bit long - don't bother clipping it in this instance, but keep later recordings with only 3-5 seconds at the end. :)

There are just two technical specs that need to be fixed. I'm only familiar with the Audacity software, so if you're using that, it's easy to do:
  • Open the file.
  • In the drop-down File menu, select Export > Export as mp3
  • In the lower half of the pop-up window, under "Format Options," look at the Bit Rate line and make sure the radio button for "Constant" is selected
  • On the Quality line, select 128 kb
  • Now save it.
And then you can re-upload it to LibriVox. :)

Doing this should set your software correctly for the next time you export a file to mp3, but glance at those settings to make sure they stayed on the correct choices the next time you are submitting a file.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks, glad you liked it! : )

Ack, I'm sorry about the bit rate. I know it's supposed to be 128kbps, it's just that I sometimes export audiofiles to send to a friend with limited internet, and then I use lower bit rates. I must've forgotten to change it back. I've re-exported and re-uploaded; I always keep the wav file for a while. I don't know the practical difference between constant and variable bit rate, but I'll do constant, then.

Section 2 is up. Do you want me to comment every time I put up a new section?
Elin

Post by Elin »

Oh, and maybe I should say that I get the Scots Gaelic pronunciations from the dictionary at learngaelic.scot, and I give it my best shot, but I guess the chances are low that you know that language and can critique them. : )
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

heh!! You are correct that I am not fluent in Gaelic. :wink:

Yes, it will be helpful if you drop a note in here for me when a new file is up. I see these conversations much easier than my PL list page, several times a day usually. I don't need the link, since you'll be putting them in the MW as a solo BC.

Thanks!

Oh! also, by the way, when your DPL leaves you a note and you make a fix on a file, mark it as Ready for Spot PL instead of PL OK. Your DPL is your fail-safe, because it happens to everyone that sometimes you think a corrected file got put in, but it didn't really, and that last extra step of proofing will ensure that your final file is just right. :)
~Lynette * -
Elin

Post by Elin »

LCaulkins wrote: January 9th, 2021, 5:43 pm Oh! also, by the way, when your DPL leaves you a note and you make a fix on a file, mark it as Ready for Spot PL instead of PL OK. Your DPL is your fail-safe, because it happens to everyone that sometimes you think a corrected file got put in, but it didn't really, and that last extra step of proofing will ensure that your final file is just right. :)
Thanks, I'll do that in future!