COMPLETE - Safeguarding children : pediatric medical countermeasure research by the Presidential Commission Report - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Wow, I step away for a few days of unplugged time and you're almost done! I'll get these listened to!
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

no rush :lol: am between other tasks and got focused.am looking at next projects. have to say that i have learned a lot from this read - glad i took it on.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Section 3 PL Notes:

The volume for Section 3 is about 5 decibels too low, and once you raise it noise cleaning will probably be needed. Also, there's a pretty consistent sound of mic moving starting at approximately 39:30 through to 37:00. It's entirely possible that doing the noise cleaning will minimize that sound, so I'd start with that, personally.

The remainder of the uploaded sections are all below the 86 dB that is the preferred minimum volume, but I'd hold off on making changes to them until I've finished listening.

The reading was well done, just some tech specs to tweak.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

thanks - i'll wait till you're done and then work through and make the adjustments as needed.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

i assume you mean there is mic noise from 37.00 to 39.30?
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

pmchaffie wrote: January 18th, 2021, 7:45 am i assume you mean there is mic noise from 37.00 to 39.30?
Actually, I meant from 27.00 to 39.30. It's probably why I shouldn't type late at night.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

..or is that measured as time remaining in the recording? the way i measure that would be ~9.45-12.15. either way i've fixed the volume and done another noise reduction. i couldn't really hear what you were referring to at that interval. am resubmitting section 3 - let me know if this has fixed the problem you were hearing.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

ok - sorry about the pestering! i've just uploaded section 3 with your suggested fixes. let me know if this fixed the problems you mentioned - i'll go back and listen to the section you just mentioned as well:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/safeguardingchildren_03_presidentialcommission_128kb.mp3

49m15s
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

ahhh - going to that section i have found some noise problems - likely with my mic setup. i will diagnose and rerecord the sections that are problematic. don't bother listening to the one i just submitted. :oops:
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

ok - i have posted a new file for section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/safeguardingchildren_03_presidentialcommission_128kb.mp3

48m31s

my apologies for the problem. by way of explanation i had a piece of eqpt, a creative external soundcard i was using to connect an analog shure mic to a usb port, that was apparently malfunctioning. i've removed that from the system and am directly connecting now. on the section with the problem i replaced the section from 27:00 to 41:55 to make sure that i addressed the problem you noted. i will go over the subsequent sections (4 through 9) and make sure they are not similarly affected, and i will update you as i've completed each of these checks. thanks for your patience and diligence.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

after reviewing my work i have decided that i am going to re-record sections 4 through 9. i have replaced some very inexpensive equipment i was using - in effect a new xlr cable for the microphone that i use - and it has markedly increased the quality of recordings (if only i could so easily increase the quality of my voice) :) i believe that i will be able to complete the recording on schedule. i will make appropriate notations in the mw. let me know what you think about this.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

i have posted section 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/safeguardingchildren_04_presidentialcommission_128kb.mp3

40m14s

this was rerecorded using some new eqpt. have to say i am very happy with the result - much cleaner and free of the technical problems i was having earlier. please give me an honest listener's take on how this sounds.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

The new section 3 is a vast improvement! It's PL OK!