COMPLETE [Religion] Prayers of C. H. Spurgeon by Charles Spurgeon-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

C. H. Spurgeon's Prayers by Charles H. Spurgeon (1834 - 1892).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/prayers-by-charles-h-spurgeon/
The day on which a volume of C. H. Spurgeon's Pulpit Prayers appears is a day to be desired. Decidedly this selection of the great preacher's prayers supplies a want. Lovers of C. H. Spurgeon will delight in this treasury of devotion. It was memorable to hear this incomparable devine when he preached. It was often even more memorable to hear him pray. Prayer was the instinct of his soul, and the atmosphere of his life. It was his "vital breath" and "native air." How naturally he inhaled and exhaled it! The greatness of his prayers more and more impresses and delights me. He touched every note. He sped as on eagle's wings, into the Heaven of God. May many be enabled, through grace, by the study of these prayers, to pray more abundantly and for effectually! (From the Introduction by Dinsdale T. Young)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/chspurgeonspraye00spur
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Introduction to C. H. Spurgeon's Prayers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Prayers of Charles H. Spurgeon. Introduction by Dinsdale T. Young"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Prayer [number] of Prayers of Chalres H. Spurgeon. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Prayer [number, title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Prayer [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of C. H. Spurgeon's Prayers, by Charles H. Spurgeon. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename prayers_##_spurgeon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prayers_01_spurgeon_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Need a DPL?

Love Spurgeon!
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sure Larry. Thanks.

I was reading a bit on Spurgeon and was happy to find this book. Didn't know it existed.

I also see "Pictures from Pilgrims' Progress" referenced. I can't find an on-line scan, but I've got a request in at the Library to borrow the book and if the edition is old enough to be public domain, I plan to scan it and read it as well.

And I was reading about Spurgeon because a blogger I follow linked to a couple of guys who are taking the Spurgeon challenge for 2021 -- reading a sermon a day. Not sure I'm up for that, but it is fun to think about it. Info here: https://twitter.com/ReadingSpurgeon

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, if I can remember to update after I listen . . . . These are all PL OK.

Maybe a prayer a-day. I know I couldn't manage a sermon every day.
I work for Christianbook.com and can get you a bargain on a 5 vol set of his sermons. :mrgreen:

His "Notes to My Students" was classic reading. I tried it when I was in high school, and it was a bit too heavy for me at the time.

Anyway, these prayers are very moving -- and seemingly timeless.
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Larry,
Just an FYI, I plan to work on this as part of the March to the Finish Line. I will read a few sections ahead in the next few days so I have something to edit when I'm away from my mic next week.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, this didn't happen in March because I ended up away from my recording equipment.

But if I were to finish it off in the next few days, could you PL by the end of the month? We are low on projects for July. Not that this will get us above 100, but I would like to get it in the catalog if I could ...

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:41 pm Well, this didn't happen in March because I ended up away from my recording equipment.

But if I were to finish it off in the next few days, could you PL by the end of the month? We are low on projects for July. Not that this will get us above 100, but I would like to get it in the catalog if I could ...

MaryAnn
I'll do my best.
We're visiting our younger daughter in California, but have my earphones. :)
I did some easy PL on the flight out, so one way or another, I can fit it in.
I'm pushing hard on my BC projects to get some in and I think a coupler more of my DPL projects may finish soon.
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Larry. I've edited and uploaded the sections that I had recorded. I plan to read some more this afternoon ... and that will give me a better idea of whether I can get this done by the end of the month. In any event, it's time I got it done. :)

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well Larry, I've uploaded 3 hours today. Ouch!

I think there is about 1 hour of recording left to finish this off.

MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 1-10 are all PL OK.
I'll continue these as I am able.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

11-16 also PL OK
Blends with my Sunday devotions. :)
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Larry. I found reading the sermon yesterday a lovely devotional time as well.
MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

17 - 20 PL OK

I see the sermon at the end and will get to it in due course.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

27 What an excellent message -- heard to my great benefit! Indeed, the "golden key."
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hey Larry, hope your travels are going well.

Final sections are ready for PL.

MaryAnn