COMPLETE The Book of Tea by Kakuzo Okakura-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (1862 - 1913).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-tea-by-kakuzo-okakura-2/
The Book of Tea is as much about philosophy, religion and art as it is about a drink made with dried leaves in boiling water. It traces the development of tea into teaism. The author’s first paragraph summarizes the whole book:

“Tea began as a medicine and grew into a beverage. In China, in the eighth century, it entered the realm of poetry as one of the polite amusements. The fifteenth century saw Japan ennoble it into a religion of aestheticism--Teaism. Teaism is a cult founded on the adoration of the beautiful among the sordid facts of everyday existence. It inculcates purity and harmony, the mystery of mutual charity, the romanticism of the social order. It is essentially a worship of the
Imperfect, as it is a tender attempt to accomplish something possible in this impossible thing we know as life.”

The author shows that the philosophy of Teaism, which was developed from Japanese Zen Buddhist teachings, actually has deeper roots in Chinese Confucianism and Taoism as well.

After its publication in 1906 The Book of Tea provided a window into Japanese culture, and furthered a better understanding and appreciation of the philosophy behind minimalism in Japanese art, architecture, design and living.
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/769
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Book of Tea. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Book of Tea, by Kakuzō Okakura. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Book of Tea, by Kakuzō Okakura. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename bookoftea_##_okakura_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bookoftea_01_okakura_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by CliveCatterall on April 24th, 2021, 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Lovely book. We could always do with another reading I think!

Clive
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Clive,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

May I DPL?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kevin,

Pending confirmation from Clive, I've added you to the MW.

MaryAnn
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Happy to have you both on board!

Clive
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL

Clive
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Chapter 2 is uploaded and ready for PL

Clive
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Ch. 1 and 2 PL OK!
Amendis

Post by Amendis »

Hi Clive! I'm looking at this project with great interest and am really excited to hear it when you finish up.
Best,
April
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Chapter3 is uploaded and ready to go!

April - thanks for the support. I'm quite slow with recording chapters, so it might be a few months until it is finished.

Clive
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Certainly no rush on my part, though I'm enjoy the project, too.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

CliveCatterall wrote: March 24th, 2021, 10:48 am Chapter3 is uploaded and ready to go!

April - thanks for the support. I'm quite slow with recording chapters, so it might be a few months until it is finished.

Clive
Nicely read! All that is needed is to reduce to ending silence to just five seconds.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Silence now trimmed to 5 seconds.

Clive
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Chapter 4 is uploaded and ready for PL

Clive