[COMPLETE]Mediaeval hymns & sequences-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:33 pm One more orphan.
16? I'll take it, please.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:21 pm
Thank you!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

mightyfelix wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:27 pm
Thank you!
Really? is it 6? It is not showing open...

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:51 pm
mightyfelix wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Thank you!
Really? is it 6? It is not showing open...

Lynda
Ignore me - I was not looking at the correct posting! :)

Lynda
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_16_neale_128kb.mp3 (16:50)

I took the liberty of putting two of the three footnotes at the end of a stanza so that the overall meaning would not get confused. The first footnote is remarkably long, but it comes immediately after the hymn title. I could repeat the title, if you wish, once the hymn actually begins.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Apologies for my tardiness in PLing! Finally getting back to it tonight!

2:
0:36 The year of this hymn is about 580. I hear 1580.

3:
0:40 Please move this footnote to the end of the sentence, after "V. Bede," currently at 1:16. Also, the opening words of the footnote are "There is another hymn..." I hear "This is another hymn..." Quite a different meaning. :)
4:26 Text here (p. 11) is, "Poor, ye pitied not my lot." I hear, "Poor, yet pitied not my lot."
5:23-5:29 There is a repeat here, as well as a mispronunciation that sounds like a different word. Text here (p. 11) is, "In profoundest dungeon bound." I hear, "In proud foundest dungeon bound."
6:16 Text here (p. 12) is, "His elect before Him stand." I hear, "He elect before Him stand."

9 is PL ok! :)

10:
1:16 Text here (p. 29) is, "The dragon's chains by rising burst." I think I hear, "Does dragon's chains by rising burst."
1:26 Text here (p. 29) is, "The dead of former times might rise." I hear, "The dead of former times may rise."
2:05 Text here (p. 30) is, "Right gloriously He triumphs now." I hear, "Right gloriously His triumphs now."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:33 am Section 16

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_16_neale_128kb.mp3 (16:50)

I took the liberty of putting two of the three footnotes at the end of a stanza so that the overall meaning would not get confused. The first footnote is remarkably long, but it comes immediately after the hymn title. I could repeat the title, if you wish, once the hymn actually begins.
Thank, Kevin! Again, I apologize for my delay in PLing this. I thought the information on the original meter and rhyme structure of this was very interesting!

You're right, that is an incredibly long footnote! I think Rev. Neale must have been in the habit of giving very long sermons! :mrgreen: I do have some notes here, but that's to be expected with such a long section, and with word perfect standards.

I agree with all of your footnote placements except for one (see below). And no, I don't think there's any need to repeat the title after the footnote. It sounds fine as is.

0:23 You missed the information in the MW regarding the author and date. Please add, "Bernard of Cluny. Twelfth century." (This is taken from the table of contents, in case you're wondering, but since we don't include that, I've put it in the section title for each hymn.)
3:45 Text here (p. 61) reads, "But now their naked bodies scorn the cold." I hear "By now their naked bodies scorn the cold."
6:06 Text here (p. 62) reads, "With lilies spread the mound where I shall lie." I hear, "With lilies spread the mound where I shall lay."
6:46 I think I'm going to call this one OPTIONAL. Here, p. 63, we have a name: Jacobus Zevecotius. (Admittedly a mouthful. I'm not surprised if you had some trouble with it. I hear the last name quite clearly, but you've skipped the first name. Maybe it got clipped in editing? But I think we might be able to consider the last name sufficient, so I won't require you to address this unless you want to.
9:40 Text here (p. 54) is, "A mansion with the Blest." I think I hear, "A mansion for the Blest."
11:58 Text here (p. 63) is, "And though her Martha's part be gone..." I hear, "And through her Martha's part be gone..."
10:57 I would prefer this footnote at the end of the stanza, rather than the end of the rhyme. Could you cut the last four lines of this stanza from 13:06-13:14 and move them to 10:57? That's probably the easiest way to do it.
14:19 Text here (p. 56) is, "Thou hast no shore, fair Ocean!" I hear, "Thou hast no shore, fair Queen!"
14:19 Text here (p. 56) is, "They raise thy holy Tower." I hear, "They raise the holy Tower."
15:12 Text here (p. 57) is, "What radiancy of glory." I hear, "What radiance of glory."
15:21 Text here (p. 57) is, "And vainly would it image..." I hear, "And vainly would it imagine..."
16:05 Text here (p. 58) is, "Ev'n now by faith I see thee." I hear, "Ev'n now by faith I see them."
16:18 Text here (p. 58) is, "In thee is all my glory." I hear, "Is thee in all my glory."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:38 pm
KevinS wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:33 am Section 16

Thank, Kevin! Again, I apologize for my delay in PLing this. I thought the information on the original meter and rhyme structure of this was very interesting!

You're right, that is an incredibly long footnote! I think Rev. Neale must have been in the habit of giving very long sermons! :mrgreen: I do have some notes here, but that's to be expected with such a long section, and with word perfect standards.

I agree with all of your footnote placements except for one (see below). And no, I don't think there's any need to repeat the title after the footnote. It sounds fine as is.

0:23 You missed the information in the MW regarding the author and date. Please add, "Bernard of Cluny. Twelfth century." (This is taken from the table of contents, in case you're wondering, but since we don't include that, I've put it in the section title for each hymn.)
3:45 Text here (p. 61) reads, "But now their naked bodies scorn the cold." I hear "By now their naked bodies scorn the cold."
6:06 Text here (p. 62) reads, "With lilies spread the mound where I shall lie." I hear, "With lilies spread the mound where I shall lay."
6:46 I think I'm going to call this one OPTIONAL. Here, p. 63, we have a name: Jacobus Zevecotius. (Admittedly a mouthful. I'm not surprised if you had some trouble with it. I hear the last name quite clearly, but you've skipped the first name. Maybe it got clipped in editing? But I think we might be able to consider the last name sufficient, so I won't require you to address this unless you want to.
9:40 Text here (p. 54) is, "A mansion with the Blest." I think I hear, "A mansion for the Blest."
11:58 Text here (p. 63) is, "And though her Martha's part be gone..." I hear, "And through her Martha's part be gone..."
10:57 I would prefer this footnote at the end of the stanza, rather than the end of the rhyme. Could you cut the last four lines of this stanza from 13:06-13:14 and move them to 10:57? That's probably the easiest way to do it.
14:19 Text here (p. 56) is, "Thou hast no shore, fair Ocean!" I hear, "Thou hast no shore, fair Queen!"
14:19 Text here (p. 56) is, "They raise thy holy Tower." I hear, "They raise the holy Tower."
15:12 Text here (p. 57) is, "What radiancy of glory." I hear, "What radiance of glory."
15:21 Text here (p. 57) is, "And vainly would it image..." I hear, "And vainly would it imagine..."
16:05 Text here (p. 58) is, "Ev'n now by faith I see thee." I hear, "Ev'n now by faith I see them."
16:18 Text here (p. 58) is, "In thee is all my glory." I hear, "Is thee in all my glory."
Oh boy. Not my best work. I'll be sure to make corrections later today.
hyrulehistorical

Post by hyrulehistorical »

mightyfelix wrote: January 21st, 2021, 10:15 pm
hyrulehistorical wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:06 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_05_neale_128kb.mp3 (4:25)

Here is the corrected section 5 - with added bonus sections 6 & 7 to boot!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_06_neale_128kb.mp3 (5:26)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_07_neale_128kb.mp3 (4:27)

Let me know what you think!
Section 5 and section 7 PL ok, thank you! :thumbs: Great work with these. I enjoyed hearing them all!

Section 6:
0:24 This pause here feels extremely long. Anything more than 2 or 3 seconds often feels uncomfortable when listening, I think, and here you have almost 5 seconds of silence before you start in again. Plenty of time for someone to start wondering if their device froze up. :wink: I'd cut this silence by at least half.
1:11 Word flip. Text reads (p. 18), "By her Lord shall she be led." I hear, "By her Lord she shall be led."
1:26 Added word. Text reads (p. 18), "And by virtue of her merits..." I hear, "And by the virtue of her merits..."
(These two feel very nitpicky, I'm sure. Things like that would be given a pass in almost all of our projects, but I am holding these hymns to a word perfect reading, which is done much less often. :) )
Also note that in both 6 and 7, you have a little more than 5 seconds of silence at the end. It's not enough to bother with, I think, but try to remember to trim it to five seconds for future recordings.
Here is the corrected Section 6:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_06_neale_128kb.mp3

Sorry for the long delay. Things got moved around and I only recently have been able to get back to recording. Hopefully the corrections don't sound too spliced.

And, I totally agree with the approach to give these hymns a perfect reading - they are lovely!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

hyrulehistorical wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:17 am Here is the corrected Section 6:

Sorry for the long delay. Things got moved around and I only recently have been able to get back to recording. Hopefully the corrections don't sound too spliced.

And, I totally agree with the approach to give these hymns a perfect reading - they are lovely!
Thank! I'll check it soon. Was the run time the same?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 16 corrections, including Jacobus (sp?)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_16_neale_128kb.mp3 (16:54)

I'm sorry to make the PL of 16 so onerous.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

hyrulehistorical wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:17 am Here is the corrected Section 6:

Thanks so much! This is almost there. You fixed the first two issues beautifully. Unfortunately, you introduced a new error in the third one.

1:24 Text reads (p. 18), "And by virtue of her merits..." I now hear, "And by virtue of their merits..."

One more try ought to do it. :)

EDIT: Actually, I just went back to the original and had another listen. (I thought I might try to do some editing magic and combine the good parts of each take, if it sounded ok.) But I discovered that the original version also had their instead of her, and I just didn't catch it the first time through. So sorry about that! :oops:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:46 pm Section 16 corrections, including Jacobus (sp?)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mediaevalhymns_16_neale_128kb.mp3 (16:54)

Don't be so down on yourself. Like I said, with such a long section and word perfect, it's to be expected. Not an onerous task at all. :)

And in any case, you made my spot PL job easy by making such clean and beautiful splices! PL ok now! :clap:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:07 pm
KevinS wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:46 pm Section 16 corrections, including Jacobus (sp?)

Don't be so down on yourself. Like I said, with such a long section and word perfect, it's to be expected. Not an onerous task at all. :)

And in any case, you made my spot PL job easy by making such clean and beautiful splices! PL ok now! :clap:
Thank you.