COMPLETE[PLAY]The Perjur'd Husband by Centlivre - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:45 pmCount Bassino, Act 4, duration 6:57
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/perjurdhusband_bassino_4_128kb.mp3
urgh, now you are dripping with insincere hypocrisy here, Mike. :shock: Convincingly performed, excellent, thanks ! And PL ok again.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 27th, 2020, 3:28 amArmando act 4 revised
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/perjurdhusband_armando_4.mp3
and Placentia has her correct name again, thank you Alan. Also PL ok

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: December 27th, 2020, 4:47 pmHere are my Pizalto recordings:
:shock: he's an old lecher !!!! Wow, Greg, excellently done, especially the wooing scene in the first two acts. Considering this doubtful character, the proper thing for me to say now would be "I didn't think you had it in you", but somehow I had a hunch you could deliver it quite believably :lol: and I wasn't wrong (I rarely am :mrgreen: )

Well...having heard Lord Pizalto now, I can say: Lady Pizalto and her hubby deserve each other, both have the same degree of extramarital unfaithfulness.

Acts 2-4 are PL ok

one line missed in Act 5 though:

> at about 0:12: please insert: "Confound your jilting Sneer."

thank you for this wonderful performance.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 25th, 2020, 11:59 amAct 2 - 0:06 Missed first line (probably your glasses were steamed over in anticipation...): Did you deliver my Letter to Ludovico, Lucy?
I wear no glasses to steam over, but yes, it must have been the excitement :lol:

Here's the missing line inserted, with the needed femme fatale voice:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/perjurdhusband_lady_pizalta_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 5:20 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. PL OK now.

Todd
TheIntern356

Post by TheIntern356 »

Hello there.

I've been reading lots of books/short stories lately and I figured it was time for some diversification.
I'd like to start off with claiming stagehand directions for Act 1 (and probably the others later)

Just to clarify, since this is my first time with dramatic works, this basically includes reading everything in italics/centered and Titles/intro/exits?

I also see two variants of [] phrases. I should read [] phrases off on the right side, like [Exit Bassino] and avoid things like in the middle of actor lines such as [Aside], [Mimicking her Tone.], (Shews the Bond.)

And lastly, how long of spacing would you want between the phrases of the stagehand directions?
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:41 am
GregGiordano wrote: December 27th, 2020, 4:47 pmHere are my Pizalto recordings:
:shock: he's an old lecher !!!! Wow, Greg, excellently done, especially the wooing scene in the first two acts. Considering this doubtful character, the proper thing for me to say now would be "I didn't think you had it in you", but somehow I had a hunch you could deliver it quite believably :lol: and I wasn't wrong (I rarely am :mrgreen: )

Well...having heard Lord Pizalto now, I can say: Lady Pizalto and her hubby deserve each other, both have the same degree of extramarital unfaithfulness.

Acts 2-4 are PL ok

one line missed in Act 5 though:

> at about 0:12: please insert: "Confound your jilting Sneer."

thank you for this wonderful performance.

Sonia
They do deserve each other!

Thank you for the kind words. I was a bit concerned I took it over the top. I'm very happy you liked my reading!

I'll fix the missing line tonight.

Take care

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:29 amI was a bit concerned I took it over the top.
you can rarely be over the top here. Rumour has it that people have tried...and failed :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TheIntern356 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:05 am Hello there.

I've been reading lots of books/short stories lately and I figured it was time for some diversification.
I'd like to start off with claiming stagehand directions for Act 1 (and probably the others later)

Just to clarify, since this is my first time with dramatic works, this basically includes reading everything in italics/centered and Titles/intro/exits? [Correct, see below]

I also see two variants of [] phrases. I should read [] phrases off on the right side, like [Exit Bassino] and avoid things like in the middle of actor lines such as [Aside], [Mimicking her Tone.], (Shews the Bond.) [Wrong - You read everything whether left, right, or in the middle, see below]

And lastly, how long of spacing would you want between the phrases of the stagehand directions? [4-5 seconds is good - it can't really be too long!]
Greetings.

Please note - when you claim a part in a dramatic work, it is (almost always) for that role in all of the acts. So our listeners don't get confused by changes in voices.

If you are still interested, and I certainly hope you are, here are some instructions about reading stage directions:

For the stage directions, you need to read everything that is not read by the actors. So each time you see "closes door" or "drinks wine" or "exit left", you would need to read. Often it's written in italics or between brackets, but not always, so finding all the directions can be tricky business.

There is a special rule that concerns reading the characters' names. It's quite easy to remember:

1) if the stage direction appears at the beginning of the speech, you include the character's name.
Example:
John (sitting down on the couch): "I feel a headache coming on."
you would read everything I underlined now, including the name.

2) if the stage direction is in the middle or at the end of the speech, you still read it. But you do not repeat the name, because it's already clear who is speaking.
Example:
John: "I feel a headache coming on." (sits down on the couch) "I think I need a rest." (dozes off)
both times, no name included, only the underlined parts would be read.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds between each chunk. So each time the narration is interrupted by a character speech, you leave ample space. It makes copy/pasting easier for our editor (me).

Also - record a voice credit for yourself: "Stage directions, read by XXXX"

(By the way, best to start with other than act 1 first and get some feedback. Act 1 is complicated by cast list which you read even though I will likely overwrite what you say with the reader voice credits if they do it correctly.)

Thanks, Todd
TheIntern356

Post by TheIntern356 »

ToddHW wrote: December 28th, 2020, 10:03 am
(By the way, best to start with other than act 1 first and get some feedback. Act 1 is complicated by cast list which you read even though I will likely overwrite what you say with the reader voice credits if they do it correctly.)

Thanks, Todd
Understood. In that case I'll begin with Act 2 instead.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:38 am
GregGiordano wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:29 amI was a bit concerned I took it over the top.
you can rarely be over the top here. Rumour has it that people have tried...and failed :lol:

Sonia
People only hear you in one of our projects: they can't see your facial expressions and body gestures. So you have to really put everything you have into your voice so the listener will understand the emotional intent and make an image in their mind of those missing smirks, smiles, shudders, sobs, and many things that start with other letters too....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TheIntern356 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 10:06 am
ToddHW wrote: December 28th, 2020, 10:03 am

Thanks, Todd
Understood. In that case I'll begin with Act 2 instead.
Great. I have signed you up for all the acts, and that means we are full.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

I have added the missed line in the fifth act. Here is Act Five with all lines:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/perjurdhusband_pizalto_5_128kb.mp3

Thank you, as always!

Greg