(grp) A Woman and the War by Francis Greville - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

A Woman and the War by Daisy Frances Evelynne Mainard Greville, COUNTESS OF WARWICK

(1861 - 1938)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-woman-and-the-war-by-frances-evelyn-daisy-greville/
It is not without serious reflection that I have collected these thoughts in war time to offer in book form to those who may care to read and ponder them.

They were written for the most part on the spur of vital moments, when some of the tendencies of the evil times through which we are living seemed to call for immediate protest. I have felt more strongly than ever in the past two years that we are in danger of accepting as something outside the pale of criticism the judgments of those who lead, and sometimes mislead us. The support or hostility of the newspaper press—in some aspects the greatest distorting medium in the world—is still ruled by party considerations. Loyalty or ill-will to the men in office colours all the views of those who praise or blame, and it happens often that a good measure is damned for what is best or lauded for what is worst in it. Again, I have felt that while much of the fighting spirit of the country is subject to army discipline, the tendency of government has been to make helpless puppets of the citizens who remain behind the forces in the field. In the near future, if we would save what is left of our heritage of freedom, and would even extend the comparatively narrow boundaries that existed before the autumn of 1914, we must relieve the press of the self-conferred duty of thinking for us. We must not give our rulers a blank cheque; their best efforts tend more to rouse our suspicions than to compel our confidence.

Judging all the matters dealt with in these pages as fairly and honestly as I can, I have found myself repeatedly in opposition to the authorities. The legislation from which we have suffered since war began, the efforts to relieve difficult situations and prepare for obvious emergencies have savoured largely of panic and can boast no more than a small element of statesmanship. So I have protested and the protests have grown even beyond the limit of these book covers, while an ever-swelling letter-bag has told me that I have interpreted, however feebly, the thoughts, wishes, and aspirations of many thinking men and women. We are on the eve of events that will demand of evolution that it mend its paces or become revolution without more ado. The international crisis and the national makeshifts must have proved to the dullest that the world is out of joint. I make no claim to traverse the whole ground, modesty forbids, and Mr. Zangwill has accomplished the task in his "War for the World," the most brilliant work that has seen the light since August, 1914. I have sought to point out where and why and how we are moving backwards. I can command no eloquence to gild my words, I cannot pretend to have more to say than will have occurred to every man and woman of advanced views and normal intelligence, but it does not suffice to think; one must make thought the prelude of action. Strong in this belief I have not hesitated to attempt something more than mere criticism.

I cannot wave flags, abuse enemies, or extol popular idols; and consequently those who read will please accept these and other limitations.

FRANCES EVELYN WARWICK.
( The preface )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63910
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of A Woman and the War . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]"
      • Say:
        "A Woman and the War , by Daisy Greville . [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city,date]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of A Woman and the War , by Daisy Greville . "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      womanandthewar_##_greville_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. womanandthewar_01_greville_128kb.mp3)
    9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below or pm me
Last edited by miss stav on December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi can someone put this project on hold for a while? I have a major astma attack and I don't think I can tackle a new project properly. I continue my old ones but let's wait until I recover. I think it would take about a month.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello all, glad to be back and able to bc this project. Please note that the text is accessible so I can set up the mw.
linny

Post by linny »

Stav,
I'm glad you are feeling better. I can MC this for you. MW is up and ready for you. Let me know if you need anything.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Hi, could i DPL this project please?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, what a nice surprise. Welcome to both of you. How lovely to work with you again. Very late here but I will prepare the mw very soon.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow I forgot there is a preface. Could you add section 0? I am so sorry.
linny

Post by linny »

No problem at all. I was wondering about that. 0 added for your preface.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Section 2, THE GREATEST FIGHT OF ALL?

Thanks, Todd
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How lovely. Have fun.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Window is up and we are open for claims.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 27, please.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

KevinS wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm Section 27, please.

Sure.
tedrick

Post by tedrick »

Sections 26 please
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

tedrick wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:12 pm Sections 26 please

Sure. All yours.