Post by neecheelok70 »

Sounds like a plan! Jim :thumbs:
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you so much, Jim. This is absolutely PL ok again. :thumbs:

One more section and you can take a well deserved rest from world timelines :lol:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you so much, Jim, another huge section, and totally PL ok. :thumbs: I think my head is reeling with all the dates now :lol: I'm happy that this project has come to an end.

So, I have not heard back from the original readers of sections 40 and 62 but since the edits were quite easily done, I decided against re-recording and rather opted to save the original text and do the edits myself. As soon as you've Spot PLed, this project can get catalogued.

Here are my original notes and what I changed:

Notes and corrections for Section 40:
Kitty wrote:>at 0:27: (p. 207) between the title "The North" and "northern historians": could you also put the subtitle, "Denmark", so listeners know what country we are dealing with first ? - I copy/pasted a rather suitable "Denmark" from another place in the chapter

> at 5:56-6:01: (p. 208) "see p. 203 where the discrepancy in date is to be noted" - can be cut as it's a page reference that is of no big use here for us - I deleted this part, now at 5:58

> at 6:51: (p. 208)" died in 885" - you say "865" - luckily I found a very suitable "80" to insert here, now at 6:13
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume14_040_ploetz_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 9:45 min.

Notes and corrections for Section 62:
Kitty wrote:> at 2:20: (p. 327) stumble and repeat: "who also possessed" – you can easily cut out the first stumbled "posse". In Audacity you can enlarge the view with the magnifying glass, so you can do very precise cuts - repetition is cut at 2:20

> at 2:59: (p. 327) stumble and repeat: "1490" – you say "4" twice - repetition cut at 2:59

> at 5:35: (p. 327) "soon suppressed, died July 16" – please insert this death date as well - I opted to leave this omission out, since it was too hard to find suitable words, I think such a small omission is neglectable for once

> at 5:48: (p. 327) "1483-1520" – there is a click between the two dates which could be easily cut to make it flow more fluently - click removed
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume14_062_ploetz_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 6:35 min.

Thanks !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is another 62:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume14_062_ploetz_128kb.

6:35

Jim

I fear I may have overstepped the boundaries of my PL role. I heard a significant bang (at 5:45), which seemed loud and obnoxious enough to excise. Which I did.

Both of your sections are PL OK.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:10 amI fear I may have overstepped the boundaries of my PL role. I heard a significant bang (at 5:45), which seemed loud and obnoxious enough to excise. Which I did.
yes I heard that too, but we have to leave it in otherwise you cut off the final part of the name. Now it sounds like Raffael San instead of Sanzio. So I restored my old version back in. Please, if you PL, instead of correcting errors yourself, let the reader (or in this case me) know your concerns, and then they correct it or not, depending.

But thanks for the fast PL :thumbs: Now that means we can catalogue. :9:

So, this really challenging project has come to an end. We started at the end of November, so it didn't take us much longer than each of the other books in the series. Thank you all who showed your commitment and plodded through this to make it happen.

Here is my traditional statistics :lol:

19 courageous readers have participated this time:

readers in each one of the 14 books: Kitty / mightyfelix / neecheelok70 / WiltedScribe
readers in 13 books: alanmapstone / Availle
readers in 12 books: ColleenMC
readers in 11 books: ToddHW
readers in 8 books: Kikisaulite
readers in 4 books: adrianstephens
readers in 3 books: BettyB
readers in 2 books: Parsa2020
and readers for whom this was the first book in the series: abbya22 / AddieChris / AllenO / aperi / mmcclallen / munanahhas / Sshoger

4 brandnew volunteers dared to start out with one of these sections, kudos to them: abbya22 / AddieChris / mmcclallen / Sshoger. Rest assured, most other projects will be less difficult.

Now for the milestones:

1) the first PL ok section achieved by Jim with the First Greek Period
2) the 50% PL ok mark was reached by Todd with the colonies in America
3) also, the biggest achievement point for a whopping 44 sections (that is nearly half this project), definitely has to go to Jim this time. You rock ! Especially because they were such long sections. Also thanks for PLing my own sections.
4) the ultimate longest section , however, one hour and five minutes long, was recorded by a brandnew volunteer, mmcclallen, with the history of England and Scotland. Brownie-points for this feat.
5) to put this in comparison, we need a prize for the shortest section as well, and it goes to Alan, for a barely one minute section about China. And that is with the full intro disclaimer. :mrgreen:
6) and last but not least another huge thanks goes to Miguel (Basquetteur), who thought long and hard to come up with a suitable cover to illustrate this special topic book

THANK YOU ALL !

Now launching the cataloguing process. I predict it will take quite some time due to the sheer volume of the section lengths.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Do I get prize for the shortest section? The one about China was a single sentence and ran for 1:04s, most of which was the disclaimer :lol:
Congratulations on getting this finished :clap:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: April 4th, 2021, 8:43 amDo I get prize for the shortest section? The one about China was a single sentence and ran for 1:04s, most of which was the disclaimer :lol:
actually, Alan, you are right !!! This section deserves a prize too. I'll update my previous post :lol:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sorry, Sonia, about 62--I guess I knew I should have checked it with you first. Jim :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I let it run the entire night and this morning it's finished and in the catalogue:

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/worldstory-volume-xiv-outline-of-universal-history-by-karl-ploetz/

Moving to Completed now :)

Sonia