[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 14: Outline of Universal History - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story Volume XIV: An Outline of Universal History by Karl Ploetz (1819-1881). Translated by William H. Tillinghast (1854-1913)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/worldstory-volume-xiv-outline-of-universal-history-by-karl-ploetz/
The fourteenth volume of the 15-volume series <i>The World’s Story</i> has a different concept than the previous books edited by Eva March Tappan. This book lists a detailed timeline of important events, starting from the early Eastern cultures till up to recent events from the beginning of the 20th century. The original book was compiled in German by historian Karl Ploetz (1819-1881) and translated into English for this series by William H. Tillinghast (1854-1913). (Sonia)
Please check out the second post for more special rules for this project.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto14tapp/page/n7/mode/2up
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of An Outline of Universal History. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The World’s Story Volume XIV: An Outline of Universal History, by Karl Ploetz. Translated by William H. Tillinghast. Section [number]. [Title]" (as stated in the MW)

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The World’s Story Volume XIV: An Outline of Universal History, by Karl Ploetz. Translated by William H. Tillinghast"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      worldstory_volume14_###_ploetz_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (3-digits !) (e.g. worldstory_volume14_001_ploetz_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, here we go. This 14th book in the World Story series is a lot different from the outline of the previous books. I hope nevertheless that the information contained in the timelines is interesting enough for you to enjoy.

Here are a few special rules, to make the task easier.

> Please read the title of the section as it's written in the MW. There would be too many subtitles, so I abbreviated as best I could

> concerning the dates, they are sometimes placed in a confusing position in the flow of the text. I trust the reader to put the dates in a place where they fit best.

Two examples to illustrate this:

The book has:
Harold hastened south, but was defeated in the
Oct. 14. Battle of Hastings or Senlac,
and fell on the field.
Best read as: "Harold hastened south, but was defeated in the Battle of Hastings or Senlac, Oct. 14, and fell on the field." (notice the position of the date which I changed)

The book has:
He was succeeded by his brother,
959-975. Eadgar,
the under king of Mercia.
Best read as: "He was succeeded by his brother Eadgar, the under king of Mercia, 959-975."

> concerning the huge tables of Family trees, I decided to skip them.
When you encounter a reference to the table in the text, simply say "see Family Tree page xx".
For the shorter family trees inside the chapters, I think we can include them, saying "descendant" for each new line could be comprehensive enough, but if it is proving too complicated, we can also skip those with a reference "see genealogical table page xx". I leave the choice to the reader there.

> concerning the footnotes:
there are many that only refer to reference books. Simply ignore those.
Others that give valuable textual information, please include them. Read "Footnote: [text] - End of Footnote."

> the many page references (of the type: "see page xx" in brackets) inside the text you can all leave out. Do not read any of these.

> please include the original names in brackets. Exception is made if the names sound exactly the same as the modern English, then you don't need to repeat them

> 3 chapters that run over 20 pages are split into subsections. Please refer to MW to see how far you have to read. These are the sections 26-27, 83-86 and 88-91.

I think this is all. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. The rest of the text should be straightforward though. Just narrate it as best you can to make it all comprehensible to a listener. :) I'm sure we can manage.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

How interesting!

I'd love to do sections 12, 81, 96, 100 for starters (and might be back for the Chinese stuff a bit later, but let's not overclaim for now).
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:44 amHow interesting!
I'd love to do sections 12, 81, 96, 100 for starters (and might be back for the Chinese stuff a bit later, but let's not overclaim for now).
ok thank you so much, Availle. This is a very promising start (cf "How interesting") And here I was fretting and fearing everybody would groan and click away from the project as fast as possible. :lol: But I guess there are some (like you and me) that actually enjoy timelines. (Are we nerds ? :hmm: )

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Kitty!
Yes, of course we're nerds. :lol:

And in a very nerdy way I find it very annoying that the very silly author calls it "Germany" when he really talks about Austria. Austria has never been part of Germany (except for that handful of years we'd all prefer to forget and which are not in the scope of this book anyway) and it grates. In particular since Austria has a history of more than 1000 years, and the "German Reich" was only established in 1871. Bloody upstarts. :evil:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:58 am And in a very nerdy way I find it very annoying that the very silly author calls it "Germany" when he really talks about Austria. Austria has never been part of Germany (except for that handful of years we'd all prefer to forget and which are not in the scope of this book anyway) and it grates. In particular since Austria has a history of more than 1000 years, and the "German Reich" was only established in 1871. Bloody upstarts. :evil:
yes I suspect there will be more such grating references in this book :( I also find it suspicious just seeing how many pages are used up for the European and Western history, compared to the handful of pages for Asia (Africa barely seems to exist) :?

A bit Euro-centric, but we have to work with what we have.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Written by a European, what do you expect? :lol:

To be fair, both Japan and Korea were not accessible to foreigners for centuries, China was as much a mystery as Siberia, other countries like the Philippines and India were colonies of European states (just like much of Africa and South America) and it wasn't quite that easy as it is today to just pop over and do some research on your own.

So yeah, I guess we'll have to work with what we've got. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia
Despite my previous comments I will give this a try 👍
Can I start with sections 15 and 21?
(Query :Does the bit at the bottom of page 42 belong to this section or the next?)

Edit : I will also add 34
Last edited by alanmapstone on November 23rd, 2020, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:13 amDespite my previous comments I will give this a try 👍
thank you so much, Alan :9: there are some small chapters that are not that daunting.
Can I start with sections 15 and 21?
Does the bit at the bottom of page 42 belong to this section or the next?
yes I was thinking about this bit for a long time, and I decided to include it in your chapter 21, then it makes the transition to the next chapter. Thanks for asking.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:08 amTo be fair, both Japan and Korea were not accessible to foreigners for centuries, China was as much a mystery as Siberia, other countries like the Philippines and India were colonies of European states (just like much of Africa and South America) and it wasn't quite that easy as it is today to just pop over and do some research on your own.
true again, let's cut him some slack :lol: It is an impressive research nevertheless.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I will add 34 as well 😺
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:41 amI will add 34 as well 😺
there's a pattern here :lol: thank you, added it to your claims

Please also note: there are no short disclaimers this time, I decided to go with the full disclaimer for all the sections. Less confusing and the sections, even if only 2 pages, have enough text to be quite long.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Some of this is inevitably rather simplistic. For instance the description of Dionysus as "the God of wine and drunkenness" is a bit demeaning. There was so much more to Dionysus, as anyone who has seen Euripides' The Bacchae will know. I always thought I could have been a devotee of Dionysus 😺
Alan
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Oh my, this looks quite complex. Nevertheless, as I hope to participate in every volume, I will try my hand at this one. Won't overclaim; Sections 30, 55 and 76 will do for now.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:52 amOh my, this looks quite complex. Nevertheless, as I hope to participate in every volume, I will try my hand at this one. Won't overclaim; Sections 30, 55 and 76 will do for now.
ah I suspect that you would go for the Lithuanian section ;) Thank you Tomas for helping out here as well. :9: (please do WS13 sections first though :lol: )

Sonia