[COMPLETE] A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've had a listen and I think you're on the money, so far as I know. I think we'd have to be from far north to know how the word is actually pronounced.

By the way, I'm fine with 'parenthesis' or 'parentheses.' I'm not going to quibble and I think both are appropriate anyway.

You're doing great work!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I've put the link for the new upload in the window and updated the time to add 3 seconds. The new sentence runs from 0:32 to 0:39. I'm not sure if parenthesis or parentheses is correct, as I have forgotten most of what I was told about the theory of grammar. My working hypothesis is that I would say 'parentheses' if I was using the word once to refer to a pair () but that when saying "open parenthesis" I am only referring to the ( and therefore it is probably singular, but I don't know anything about it for sure. Punctuation is always rather alarming to me, especially the semicolon. I have adopted the ostrich policy for the semicolon and am hoping that if I pretend it doesn't exist it won't get me. Thank you very much for all of your advice and careful listening, I do appreciate it.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The section is now PL OK! Nice and clear!

As for the semi-colon, I agree it can be daunting. I once read somewhere that it was created for people who could not decide between a comma and a period!
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much. That explanation of the semicolon makes a lot more sense than anything else I've heard about it.
zachh

Post by zachh »

There are a lot of grammatical novelties in this section, and I did my best to record them as written. I imagine that English was not George Elson's first language. I have never heard of a "washing rod" and couldn't find anything relevant with a quick search. I think it may be an error for fishing rod, but if so it is present in the physical book too.

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to include a link to the online map on the catalog page, and what the rules are for external links like that. Is that something you've had to deal with before, or should I ask for information on the help forum? Thank you very much for everything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_21_hubbard_128kb.mp3

28:07
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 21 PL OK!

We'll have to ask Availle about the links for the summary. I'm afraid I don't know.

This is a great project and I'm glad I played my small role in it!
zachh

Post by zachh »

You've been a huge help throughout the project and I am very thankful to have had your advice. I also appreciate your being so flexible when I sped up the reading in the middle after telling you I wasn't going to race through. Thank you very much.

Availle, I am wondering if it is possible to include a link somewhere on the catalog page to a digital copy of the map that Mrs. Hubbard made. It is in what appears to me to be an unrestricted format on the University of Toronto website, but I don't understand the finer points of copyright and related laws, or whether this kind of thing is considered relevant by LibriVox. I'll put in a link below. Thank you very much for MCing this project and helping me learn to use the MW and login and such.

https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/collections/scanned-maps/map-eastern-labrador
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This project is now complete. All files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/a-womans-way-through-unknown-labrador-by-mina-benson-hubbard/

Congratulations to this great book! :clap:
I have added a link to the map to the summary so it's easy to see for everybody. Please check if everything's okay.
Also, I claimed the cover (if you don't mind) and I'll probably use the map there as well.

Up to the next one! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

Availle, thank you very much for all your help. It's very exciting to have my first reading completed. I really appreciate your taking time to do a cover for it and to include the link to the map. I had made a couple of minor edits to the summary in the magic window a couple of days ago, but the one on the page is the original version. It's not important either way, I just realized that when I initially wrote it I had gotten the number of guides wrong and had left out the total distance traveled. I'm looking forward to reading more soon.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have adapted the summary, it's not a big deal.
You really need to tell me before cataloging if you change the summary - it does not update automatically, your MC needs to do it manually.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'm sorry, I didn't know that I needed to notify the MC after editing the summary but I will remember it for the future. Thank you for taking the extra trouble to change it. Thank you very much for all of your help.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Availle, thank you very much for making the cover. It looks great. I have no understanding of what goes into graphic design work, but I am very impressed with what you're able to do.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It was a relatively easy one. Glad you like it! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com