COMPLETE: Neddie and Beckie Stubtail by Howard R. Garis -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

Hi! Can I claim 19? MY Audacity got fixed! Thanks!
I'll have it done in about a week.
~ Shriya
MARIA8746

Post by MARIA8746 »

Hello :) Here is the finished recording of Chapter 7 (Neddie and Beckie) Climbed in a Pole

Please let me know if anything amiss :)

Duration: 9:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/neddieandbeckie_07_garis_128kb.mp3

Best

Maria
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

spatel2 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:25 pm Hi! Can I claim 19? MY Audacity got fixed! Thanks!
I'll have it done in about a week.
Oh, that is good news!
I've put you in for this.
Thank you!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MARIA8746 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:28 am Hello :) Here is the finished recording of Chapter 7 (Neddie and Beckie) Climbed in a Pole

Please let me know if anything amiss :)

Duration: 9:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/neddieandbeckie_07_garis_128kb.mp3

Best

Maria
Great!
This is in the MW Ready for PL.
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

Chapter 7 - Neddie and Beckie Climb a Pole - PL OK.

The program Checker mentions you are adding metadata (ID3 and the like) to your MP3. That isn't needed - metadata for all the chapters in a book is added as a part of the final publishing process.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
pianoroll262

Post by pianoroll262 »

Hi - I'd like to do two of these:
Section 3 Neddie and the Bees' Nest, and
Section 20 Beckie and her cough medicine

Please let me know. Thank you.

pr (pianoroll262)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pianoroll262 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:52 pm Hi - I'd like to do two of these:
Section 3 Neddie and the Bees' Nest, and
Section 20 Beckie and her cough medicine

Please let me know. Thank you.

pr (pianoroll262)
I've assigned these to you.
Thank you!
~ Larry
Kmccoy01

Post by Kmccoy01 »

Englishteacher

Post by Englishteacher »

Hi,
Could I have section 11, Beckie and the Monkey?
loon

Post by loon »

I have a couple notes -
1) The overall volume in this chapter is too low - Checker reads it at 85.7 dB and the OK range is 86 to 92 dB. You can use the Amplify effect to add 3.3 dB to the entire track, which will put the volume right in the center of the OK range.
2) There is a lot of popping in your plosives - 'P' and 'T' sounds - where you are puffing directly into the mic. This is now recorded in and can't be fixed, but in the future there are a few things you can do to prevent this.
>>You can position your microphone so it's not directly in front of your mouth - a mic that's a bit off to the side, but still point at your mouth, will pick up your voice but you won't be blowing directly into it.
>>You can use a pop screen in between you and the mic. This can be purchased or home made. There's a photo of a professional pop screen near the bottom of this page:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Make_a_Portable_Vocal_Booth. (Also, the picture of a microphone-in-a-pillow on this page is cute - whatever works!)
>>Most effective, in my opinion, is to listen to yourself on headphones while you are recording (if that's possible with your setup). That way you'll hear when you make the microphone pop, notice what you are doing right at that moment, and change things to make it stop. See more hints at:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Improve_Your_Recording#Plosives:_popping_P.27s.

Please boost the volume of your chapter and upload it again - the popping won't make the chapter fail but it will be nice to get rid of that in future recordings.
RSerra

Post by RSerra »

Sorry about the length of time it took. Got sick and went hoarse for a couple weeks. Hope all is well

Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/neddieandbeckie_02_garis_128kb.mp3

File Duration 09:20
loon

Post by loon »

At the beginning of the story you didn't read the chapter title - Beckie and the Buns - after you read "Chapter 2". Let's ask our Book Coordinator if that's OK: Larry, there's a missing title in an otherwise OK chapter - should that be edited in? I'm going to provisionally mark the chapter PL OK unless I hear otherwise.
Chapter 2 - Beckie and the Buns - PL OK (probably) - Thank You.

I did hear some thumps in the recording. They sound like bumps on your desk or tabletop transferred up your microphone stand to the mic case. Some microphones are surprisingly sensitive to anything that makes the housing vibrate. I fold up a thick hand towel and put my mic stand on top of that, which seems to help immensely. Maybe you can try some sort of padding for your future recordings.
RSerra

Post by RSerra »

If all is well could I then take a shot at both

Chapter 11 - Beckie and the Monkey
Chapter 12 - Neddie and Beckie go Home
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Englishteacher wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 3:36 pm Hi,
Could I have section 11, Beckie and the Monkey?
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname. (I'm reserving this one for you).
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RSerra wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 9:26 pm If all is well could I then take a shot at both

Chapter 11 - Beckie and the Monkey
Chapter 12 - Neddie and Beckie go Home
There is a claim that came in for Chapter 11 just ahead of you, so I'm giving you 12 and 13, if that's okay. If not, just let me know.

Also, we DO need the name of the chapter in the intro, just as it is given in the reading instructions. So, please make that correction for your previous chapter, upload it under the same file name, and post the link and new file length here in the forum again, so we can spot check.

Very nice reading, so I'm glad to having you doing a few more chapters.
Thank you! :)
~ Larry