[COMPLETE] Eighty Years and More-Elizabeth Cady Stanton-mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beckym

Post by beckym »

Eighty Years and More; Reminiscences 1815-1897 by Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(1815 - 1902)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/eighty-years-and-more-reminiscences-1815-1897-by-elizabeth-cady-stanton/

This solo project is now opening up as a group reading.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton was one of the premier movers in the original women’s rights movement, along with Susan B. Anthony, her best friend for over 50 years. While Elizabeth initially stayed home with her husband and many babies and wrote the speeches, Susan went on the road to bring the message of the women’s rights movement to an often hostile public. When black men were given the vote in 1870, Susan and Elizabeth led the women’s rights establishment of the time to withhold support for a bill that would extend to black men the rights still denied for women of all colors. The two women worked for over 50 years on the women’s rights cause, yet neither lived to see women get the right to vote when it finally came in 1920.
Elizabeth begins her memoirs with this quotation, "Social science affirms that woman's place in society marks the level of civilization." She dedicates this book to “SUSAN B. ANTHONY, MY STEADFAST FRIEND FOR HALF A CENTURY”. (Description written by Becky Miller)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
    The target completion date for this project is 30-05-2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/11982
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

MAGIC WINDOW:

BC link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Eighty Years and More; Reminiscences 1815-1897. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Eighty Years and More; Reminiscences 1815-1897 by Elizabeth Cady Stanton. [Chapter ##, "Chapter title"]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter ##]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Eighty Years and More; Reminiscences 1815-1897 by Elizabeth Cady Stanton."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    eightyyears_##_stanton.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. eightyyears_21_stanton.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Elizabeth Cady Stanton
    Album: Eighty Years and More; Reminiscences 1815-1897
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mla - AmethystA
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Congratulations on your project, Betsie will back in the next day or so to have that Magic Window up and running for you. Good Luck

Lucy :D
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hi Becky,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on vacation...

A couple of notes:

File name should be in this format (all lower case with author at the end):
eighty_years_01_stanton.mp3

Switch the Title and the Album like this:
Title: Chapter 01
Album: Eighty Years and More

I'm running out of server space, so either you can hold on to your files until you're ready for a proof-listener or we can use some space from one of the other Admins... there are some additional options listed here:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToSendYourRecording
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hi Becky, I moved your files over to the public location, marked them as complete in the Magic Window, and put in the Listen links =)
~ Betsie
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Becky, How is this project going for you? Have you had a chance to work on it much lately? =)
~ Betsie
beckym

Post by beckym »

Hi, Betsie, how are you?

All is well here. Quite well. I'm settling in and enjoying my new condo on the pond quite well.

I'd worked on a few chapters in July, then a few more in September after my move. I thought I'd sent you the July ones but I see I'd not. I tried to FTP them to you this evening, but could not get a connection to Betsie.info. Are you still keeping that site?

I update the magic window for status.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello, beckym
I'll do the prooth listening for that one. let me know when you want me to start.
Stav.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hi Becky, We've had some problems with our server lately.

You can upload them to the new LibriVox uploader. Here is the information you'll need: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToSendYourRecording

=)
~ Betsie
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Hi Becky,

Just a quick note to let you know I'm going to be your MC for the rest of your project. Are you still working on this project? I noticed you have Chapters 5-8 marked as complete, but there is no listen link for them. As Betsie mentioned, you may upload your finished files to the Librivox Uploader. Here's the info for it:

[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: mla - AmethystA

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
    Mary
Bloom where you’re planted!
beckym

Post by beckym »

Yes, I intend to still work on this. I have the files and am glad you provided the instructions on how to upload them. Will do that soon.

I have just come through a very hard winter of illness. Cold is very hard on my fibromyalgia and arthritis, but I am much better now and starting to catch up on all of the things that were left undone while I was ill. So I'll be starting to read again soon, and looking forward to it very much. Thanks for checking in.

Becky
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Becky,

Wow what a small world. I can empathize with you, I too, have Fibromyalgia and it's been a hard winter for me as well. We had a record winter this year for snowfall and are still getting snow flurries every few days. This time of year is hard for me, too because of the warm days then turn off cold again, then snow, then back to warm. No pressure on your project, just work as you're able. :D

Wishing you as pain free of days as possible.

Mary
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Becky,

I've moved your files that you already uploaded to my folder on the Librivox Uploader and changed the listen links to point there.

Mary
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Hi Becky,

I hope your weather is starting to level off now. Ours is still doing loop-to loops between rain, cold, and then hot. We'll go from 80+ weather back to 50 in a matter of days! I hope yours is behaving nicer than ours. :D It's been a couple more months since I checked last, so just wondering if you were still working on this, and if you were able to upload successfully to the Librivox Uploader. Thanks!

Mary
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Hi Becky,

I hope you've had a good summer. Have you had a chance to work on your project any more?

Mary
beckym

Post by beckym »

Try not to die of shock - yes, I actually worked on this today. Recorded Chapter 9 and am sending you 5-9.

Chapter 5
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/eighty_years_05_stanton.mp3
Duration 36:44

Chapter 6
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/eighty_years_06_stanton.mp3
Duration 27:50

Chapter 7
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/eighty_years_07_stanton.mp3
Duration 34:09

Chapter 8
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/eighty_years_08_stanton.mp3
Duration 28:43