COMPLETE - From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

You do owe me a summary! This will be good!

I reserved the cover for you, just to make sure no one steals it from you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Chapter 24 insinuates the nonsense you can build an observatory on top of a mountain in under a year - :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/fromtheearthtothemoon_24_verne_128kb.mp3

And Chapter 25 insinuates the nonsense you can pack ALL THAT, safely stowed away, in the interior of the projectile - :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/fromtheearthtothemoon_25_verne_128kb.mp3

PS - The projectile interior has a diameter of 7 feet, or a little more floor area than a powder room in a house! Into which 3 people, 2 dogs, food for a year and water for 2 months, heating gas and chemicals to make oxygen and remove CO2, balled & burlapped bushes, 6 firearms and a load of tools are going to fit? We American Yankees really ARE geniuses! :wink:
Last edited by Kaffen on December 3rd, 2020, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

icequeen wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:24 pm I reserved the cover for you, just to make sure no one steals it from you!
Someone can steal the cover from me??? :shock:

Well! Thank you for saving my place!
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Kaffen wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 4:47 pm
icequeen wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:24 pm I reserved the cover for you, just to make sure no one steals it from you!
Someone can steal the cover from me??? :shock:

Well! Thank you for saving my place!
They can! There are some cover makers that fight each other for projects when the numbers of covers to be made is low. Total bloodbath sometimes! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Chapter 26: The long-awaited moment - FIRE! And we're expected to believe J.T. Maston survived because, of course... bumbles bounce! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/fromtheearthtothemoon_26_verne_128kb.mp3

Chapter 27 proves that manmade climate change was a thing in 1865. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/fromtheearthtothemoon_27_verne_128kb.mp3

And Chapter 28 presents the result of the "shot heard 'round the world"! (And wherein I make my plug for the sequel, which I will pick up in January.) :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/fromtheearthtothemoon_28_verne_128kb.mp3
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Here is my summary for the catalog:

Jules Verne takes aim at some amusing stereotypes of Americans in this story of a pre-rocketry attempt to shoot a cannonball to the Moon. Those Yankees don’t do anything by halves!

His means is a Columbiad cannon so enormous that it must be bored 900 feet into the ground, so immense that 1200 smelting furnaces would be needed to create the iron for its casting, so stupendous that 100 tons of guncotton would be needed to loft its cannonball heavenwards.

The journey must be watched from the tallest peak of the Rocky Mountains through a new telescope with a reflector measuring 16 feet in diameter and a tube reaching skyward 280 feet.

And then - a simple telegram upsets all the preparations. An unknown Frenchman has taken ship and is on the way. And he has firmly decided that he will ride inside the projectile!
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Kaffen wrote: December 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm Here is my summary for the catalog:

Jules Verne takes aim at some amusing stereotypes of Americans in this story of a pre-rocketry attempt to shoot a cannonball to the Moon. Those Yankees don’t do anything by halves!

His means is a Columbiad cannon so enormous that it must be bored 900 feet into the ground, so immense that 1200 smelting furnaces would be needed to create the iron for its casting, so stupendous that 100 tons of guncotton would be needed to loft its cannonball heavenwards.

The journey must be watched from the tallest peak of the Rocky Mountains through a new telescope with a reflector measuring 16 feet in diameter and a tube reaching skyward 280 feet.

And then - a simple telegram upsets all the preparations. An unknown Frenchman has taken ship and is on the way. And he has firmly decided that he will ride inside the projectile!
Thanks Mark! I am listening to the remaining chapters, hoping to start the cataloging tonight!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapters 22-28 are PL OK! Off to the catalog!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/from-the-earth-to-the-moon-version-2-by-jules-verne/

Great job, Mark! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!