COMPLETE [SOLO/RELIGION] Prayers of the Early Church by J. Manning Potts-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » November 2nd, 2020, 11:43 pm

Prayers of the Early Church by J. Manning Potts (1895 - 1973).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/prayers-of-the-early-church-by-j-manning-potts/
There are prayers of our Lord, the apostles, the martyrs, and the saints covering the period of the Early Church from its beginning through the fifth century. There are some prayers from each of the first five centuries. The treasure house from which to choose is almost unlimited. It is a vast and fruitful field and anyone is amply rewarded who delves into it.

The prayers have been selected primarily for their spiritual and devotional content. Many have been laid aside with regret that they could not be included in this book, but its compass in size is set and only so many can be used.

The prayers are arranged chronologically. Some other method of arrangement might have been chosen but this seemed good in order to represent each century. There are questions about the date and authorship of the prayers. They are the same questions that arise in reference to the Books of the Bible.

This book of prayers is published with the hope and prayer that it may have wide use. It has been prepared for individual and family devotions. It can be used with prayer groups in prayer meetings, for cells, and, of course, for the development of one’s own personal spiritual life. The material is perfect for use in the devotional services of young people’s groups, women’s groups, and men’s clubs. The prayers are excellent for insertion in church bulletins. Other ways will be found of making these great prayers usable.

The prayers have been collected from many old books of prayers and devotional materials. The editor is deeply indebted to all those who have ploughed the field before. They have labored and we have entered into their labors. It has been a joy to search out the material, to arrange the prayers, to put them in order, and to index them under so many subjects. ( Preface)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48247
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Prayers of the Early Church. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Prayers of the Early Church, by J. Manning Potts. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Prayers of the Early Church edited by J. Manning Potts. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Prayers of the Early Church, edited by J. Manning Potts. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename prayersoftheearlychurch_##_potts_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prayersoftheearlychurch_01_potts_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by InTheDesert on November 3rd, 2020, 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » November 2nd, 2020, 11:46 pm

The copyright date is 1953 but I presume that because it's on PG, then it's ok?

I've changed the disclaimer so that it says "edited by" J. Manning Potts. Is that unproblematic?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 3rd, 2020, 8:53 am

This isn't PD for me so I won't be MC'ing it, but I'll answer your questions.

If you scroll down on the main PG book page, it has "PD in the USA" as the copyright status, so it's OK for us. :)

Yes, OK to change the intro to read "Edited by". :)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm

I'm in the US, so I can MC it for you.

I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » November 3rd, 2020, 5:42 pm

Thanks MaryAnn and Tricia!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 3rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

Do you have a DPL in mind? I think I can fit this into my schedule if you don't mind my not following along with the text. :)
~Rosebud

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » November 3rd, 2020, 9:58 pm

RSlabaugh wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:08 pm
Do you have a DPL in mind? I think I can fit this into my schedule if you don't mind my not following along with the text. :)
Perfectly fine by me. Thanks!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 4th, 2020, 8:32 am

Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:
~Rosebud

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 4th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Rosebud,
You now have access to the MW.
MaryAnn

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 4th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Thank you, MaryAnn!
~Rosebud

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 5th, 2020, 7:20 am

Chapter 2 PL OK :thumbs:

Chapter 3 PL note:
~5:02-04 pause

Great readings! :)
~Rosebud

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » November 5th, 2020, 8:15 am

RSlabaugh wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 7:20 am
Chapter 2 PL OK :thumbs:

Chapter 3 PL note:
~5:02-04 pause

Great readings! :)
Rectified.

Section 4 & 5 uploaded. Now I come to the great dilemma of this book - the enormous 4th chapter. Initially I was going to split it into two parts but I do like it is the section number is in sync. Any advice appreciated - should I divide it in half or leave it as is?

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 5th, 2020, 8:37 am

InTheDesert wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 8:15 am
Rectified.

Section 4 & 5 uploaded. Now I come to the great dilemma of this book - the enormous 4th chapter. Initially I was going to split it into two parts but I do like it is the section number is in sync. Any advice appreciated - should I divide it in half or leave it as is?
:thumbs:

49 minutes is fine by me!
~Rosebud

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 5th, 2020, 8:47 am

Section 3 Spot PL OK :thumbs:

Thanks,
~Rosebud

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » November 5th, 2020, 9:52 am

Section 4 PL notes:
~22:46 skipped '-Augustine'
~25:35 skipped '-Augustine'
~27:16 skipped prayer: For Refreshment
For Refreshment
O Holy Spirit, Love of God, infuse Thy grace, and descend plentifully into my heart; enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling, and scatter there Thy cheerful beams; 61dwell in that soul that longs to be Thy temple; water that barren soil, over-run with weeds and briars, and lost for want of cultivating, and make it fruitful with Thy dew from heaven. Oh come, Thou refreshment of them that languish and faint. Come, Thou Star and Guide of them that sail in the tempestuous sea of the world; Thou only Haven of the tossed and ship-wrecked. Come, Thou Glory and Crown of the living, and only Safeguard of the dying. Come, Holy Spirit, in much mercy, and make me fit to receive Thee. Amen.
—Augustine.
~41:38 skipped '-Apostolic Constitutions'

Wow! That was a long section! :) I'm waiting at the vet's office (they do walk-ins only), and because it's packed I had time to PL and follow with the text part time while waiting my turn. I probably won't get to Section 5 anymore today, but I'll see.

Thanks,
~Rosebud