[COMPLETE] Watt's Songs Against Evil by Isaac Watts-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brucek

Post by brucek » October 29th, 2020, 7:44 am

Watt's Songs Against Evil by Isaac Watts (1674 - 1748).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/watts-songs-against-evil-by-isaac-watts/
This small volume of inspirational verse is based on the timeless work of the hymnist and theologian, Isaac Watts. Carefully and tactfully conceived, each of these motivational poems contains a valuable lesson relevant to youth's quest for moral guidance in a world of uncertainties and unknowns.

But lest these poems be construed as pedantic lectures demanding righteous behavior, the listener will be pleased to discover instead a series of uplifting narratives intended not to admonish but to advise, not to reprimand but to recommend. These are poems that compel one to consider choosing a life journey along a path of personal happiness and self-fulfillment. They are poems that offer life-changing guidance to those with a thirst for understanding and a hunger for wisdom.
(Bruce Kachuk)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37542
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: iKub7hIv
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Anonymous) : n/a
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, morality, advice, lessons, youth, childhood, growing up, good deeds, proper conduct, good character

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Watt's Songs Against Evil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Watt's Songs Against Evil, by Isaac Watts. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Watt's Songs Against Evil by Isaac Watts. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Watt's Songs Against Evil, by Isaac Watts. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename wattssongsagainstevil_#_watts_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number (e.g. wattssongsagainstevil_1_watts_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by brucek on November 24th, 2020, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » October 29th, 2020, 9:41 am

I would love to DPL!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 29th, 2020, 8:37 pm

I'm happy to set this up for you. I'm a bit confused on the author, though. Is it or is it not by Isaac Watts? :hmm: The main Gutenberg page credits Watts: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37542 But the HTML page credits Anonymous, as you have done: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37542/37542-h/37542-h.htm Any idea why this is?

For now, I will set it up under Watts, unless you can explain otherwise.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 29th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Ok, your MW is ready. Let me know what else you need. :D

brucek

Post by brucek » October 30th, 2020, 8:21 am

mightyfelix wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Hi Devorah and thanks for setting this up. Yes, there does seem to be some confusion as to authorship doesn't there, but I am reluctant to attribute the work to an author whose name does not appear in the book itself.

So my reasoning for claiming the authorship of this work as "anonymous" is threefold:
1) There is no mention of author (or date) in the book itself;
2) "Watt's" in the title of the book has an apostrophe "s". Should the author's name be Watts the title would have an "s" apostrophe.
3) Gutenberg lists the book as "anonymous" (although does credit Isaac Watts on the main page as I have done in my summary).

Thanks,
Bruce.

brucek

Post by brucek » October 30th, 2020, 8:29 am

mightyfelix wrote:
Oh, one more thing Devorah,

Since these are 7 short poems, I would like to continue to use the short intro/extros I have been using in my previous poetry projects, viz.,

For the first section:

"Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous, read for LibriVox dot org by Bruce Kachuk" [poem title]

Then read the poem.

At the end of the poem say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain" and leave five seconds of silence.

For the second and subsequent sections:

"Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous, read for LibriVox dot org"

Then read the poem.

At the end of the poem say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain" and leave five seconds of silence.

At the end of the book, add: "End of Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous"

---

Okay with you?

Thanks again,
Bruce.

brucek

Post by brucek » October 30th, 2020, 8:32 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 9:41 am
I would love to DPL!
Hi Rapunzelina,

Thanks so much for your offer to DPL this project. You're in. :)

~~~~~~
Bruce.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » October 30th, 2020, 8:43 am

Thank you! Looking forward to this project!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 30th, 2020, 7:08 pm

brucek wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:21 am
mightyfelix wrote:
Hi Devorah and thanks for setting this up. Yes, there does seem to be some confusion as to authorship doesn't there, but I am reluctant to attribute the work to an author whose name does not appear in the book itself.

So my reasoning for claiming the authorship of this work as "anonymous" is threefold:
1) There is no mention of author (or date) in the book itself;
2) "Watt's" in the title of the book has an apostrophe "s". Should the author's name be Watts the title would have an "s" apostrophe.
3) Gutenberg lists the book as "anonymous" (although does credit Isaac Watts on the main page as I have done in my summary).

Thanks,
Bruce.
Yes, I see what you mean. However, I think we can be well justified in attributing this to Isaac Watts. In answer to your points above:
1) Publishers of a certain time period seem not to have thought that proper attributions (or dates) were necessary. :roll: This is a fairly neutral point, but there it is.
2) Yep, that's weird. I noticed it myself.
3) In PG's catalogue entry, this book is in fact attributed to Isaac Watts, and we trust them to do their homework. Why it says anonymous in the HTML file is a mystery to me, but their catalogue entry takes precedence.
And an additional point:
4) I googled a couple of the titles of the poems contained here along with the name of Isaac Watts and got identical poems. An example: https://www.eighteenthcenturypoetry.org/works/o5454-w0220.shtml I didn't do each of them, but I strongly suspect that this would hold true for all. I believe that this is a (albeit, badly attributed) collection of Isaac Watts poems, pulled together by an anonymous editor/compiler.

EDIT: For these reasons, I've changed "Anonymous" to "Isaac Watts" everywhere it appears in the first post.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 30th, 2020, 7:25 pm

brucek wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:29 am
mightyfelix wrote:
Oh, one more thing Devorah,

Since these are 7 short poems, I would like to continue to use the short intro/extros I have been using in my previous poetry projects, viz.,

For the first section:

"Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous, read for LibriVox dot org by Bruce Kachuk" [poem title]

Then read the poem.

For the second and subsequent sections:

"Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous, read for LibriVox dot org"

Then read the poem.

At the end of the book, add: "End of Watt's Songs Against Evil by Anonymous"

---

Okay with you?

Thanks again,
Bruce.
:hmm: Let me double check on this. I don't have much experience with poetry at LV, either as a reader or BC/MC. I think we need to have the bit about "For more information, or to volunteer...." etc at least once. But I'll check with the other MCs.

Rapunzelina, can you enlighten me on this?

EDIT: I must have overlooked the part where you said you've done this on other poetry projects. I take that to mean that other MCs don't have an issue with it. Still, it's new to me, so I have asked, just for my own edification. :D

brucek

Post by brucek » October 31st, 2020, 7:46 am

mightyfelix wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:08 pm
. . . For these reasons, I've changed "Anonymous" to "Isaac Watts" everywhere it appears in the first post.
Thanks for looking into that! Isaac Watts it is. You may wish to enter his dates as (1674 - 1748).

I'll start reading then. Then I have a second volume by Watts all set to launch.

Please let me know about the intros/extros.

Thanks,
Bruce.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 31st, 2020, 7:50 am

brucek wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:46 am
Please let me know about the intros/extros.
Yes, your suggested format is fine.

I'll move this thread to Going Solo.

brucek

Post by brucek » November 3rd, 2020, 8:29 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 9:41 am
I would love to DPL!
Hi Rapunzelina,

Here's the first two to start us off.

~~~~~~
Thanks,
Bruce.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » November 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Perfect start! Both are PL OK

brucek

Post by brucek » November 4th, 2020, 8:47 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm
Perfect start! Both are PL OK
Thanks Rapunzelina,

And I've just uploaded the remaining poems.

~~~~~~
Bruce.