COMPLETE Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 045 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
maxgal
Posts: 862
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » October 29th, 2020, 10:21 am

Sheesh... blink and 045 is almost full up already!
I'm working on a 3-parter, so I'll aim for 046.
...LJB :mrgreen:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

MManolakes
Posts: 266
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » October 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm

"The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall" (corrected) duration 21:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_waterghostofharrowbyhall_bangs_mm_128kb.mp3

Mike

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10365
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » October 29th, 2020, 2:32 pm

maxgal wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 10:21 am
Sheesh... blink and 045 is almost full up already!
I'm working on a 3-parter, so I'll aim for 046.
...LJB :mrgreen:
Or 047 :lol:

MManolakes wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm
"The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall" (corrected) duration 21:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_waterghostofharrowbyhall_bangs_mm_128kb.mp3

Mike
Thank you, Mike!

maxgal
Posts: 862
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » October 29th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Rapunzelina wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 2:32 pm
maxgal wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 10:21 am
Sheesh... blink and 045 is almost full up already!
I'm working on a 3-parter, so I'll aim for 046.
...LJB :mrgreen:
Or 047 :lol:
Very funny. :evil:
Just wait... I know a dare when I see it. :twisted:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 3376
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » October 29th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hello Rapunzelina,

I have something pulling from beyond the grave, oooooooooooOOOooooOOO! I hope you like it, and I hope you have a very spooky Halloween!

'The Intruder' by Marjorie Bowen (1885-1952)
Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b000947023&view=1up&seq=412
Duration: 31.36
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_intruder_bowen_el_128kb.mp3

Erin

alixsquish
Posts: 91
Joined: August 11th, 2020, 8:31 am
Location: North East England

Post by alixsquish » October 30th, 2020, 6:14 am

MManolakes wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm
"The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall" (corrected) duration 21:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_waterghostofharrowbyhall_bangs_mm_128kb.mp3

Mike
Thanks Mike!

This is now PL ok
Grothmann wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:44 pm

The Cat Called Carlos
By H. F. Leslie
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 22:13

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_catcalledcarlos_leslie_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ln9Ia0OvnDOMnELkvHZx-qBNOJBzjKIS/view
Thanks for another spooky one Dale just one PL note
8:06-08:13 - I hear a repeated sentence: "and from the smear of black..."
Grothmann wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 4:11 pm
The Survivor
By Edwin G. Wood
From Weird Tales Magazine, November 1923
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 11:39

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_survivor_wood_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sU4I4SV7fQ7eX6udc1snF-BAhux7a8DT/view
Page 95
*shudders*, definitely spooky! With a classic moral too :)
This one is PL ok!
daniele wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 6:28 am
Title: The Spasm
Author: Guy De Maupassant
Runtime: 12:37
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3090/3090-h/3090-h.htm#2H_4_0127

Uploaded Recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_thespasm_guydemaupassant_df_128kb.mp3
Thank you Daniele, a great reading and very eerie... A couple of minor PL notes if you're able to fix them

05:58 - I hear 'slange' for 'strange'
06:13 - I hear a slight stumble on 'declare'

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely in the Halloween mood now :)
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog

Grothmann
Posts: 913
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » October 30th, 2020, 9:16 am

Good Morning:

I have made the correction on Cat Called Carlos. This is why it is always good to have a second set of ears. Thank you.

Correction at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_catcalledcarlos_leslie_dg_128kb.mp3

All else the same.
(At least this quarantine is producing some good work. I am reminded of Boccaccio.)

Thanks
Dale

rafeball
Posts: 71
Joined: June 28th, 2018, 8:47 am

Post by rafeball » October 30th, 2020, 9:27 am

Whew, I think I've just scraped into this collection! I'm a fan of good old E.F. Benson, but thought for this time around I'd do a tale by one of his brothers!

The Closed Window
By A.C. Benson (in the catalogue with his full name of Arthur Christopher Benson, I think)
Read by Rafe Ball
Time 26:29

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_closedwindow_benson_rb_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21536/21536-h/21536-h.htm#THE_CLOSED_WINDOW

Thanks for listening :-)

- Rafe

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10365
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » October 30th, 2020, 10:00 am

Thank you, Erin! Happy Halloween! I'm sure it will be the spookiest, lockdownest Halloween ever! Hopefully ghosts follow the social distancing rules and we're safe :mrgreen:


Thank you for proof-listening, Alix! :9:


Thank you for the corrected upload, Dale!


And thank you for your recording, Rafe!

Which makes this collection full, and closed until further notice! :D

maxgal
Posts: 862
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » October 30th, 2020, 11:16 am

Wow, less than 10 days after it opened! :shock:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10365
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » October 30th, 2020, 12:50 pm

People are in the Halloween spirit! Reading spooky ghost tales!

alixsquish
Posts: 91
Joined: August 11th, 2020, 8:31 am
Location: North East England

Post by alixsquish » November 1st, 2020, 7:11 am

Grothmann wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 9:16 am
Good Morning:

I have made the correction on Cat Called Carlos. This is why it is always good to have a second set of ears. Thank you.

Correction at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_catcalledcarlos_leslie_dg_128kb.mp3

All else the same.
(At least this quarantine is producing some good work. I am reminded of Boccaccio.)

Thanks
Dale
Thank you Dale - this is now PL ok!
I'd thought of the Decameron too, and am now wondering whether now would be a good time to work towards a new version of this... I might put something in book suggestions if I'm feeling brave enough!
Newgatenovelist wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Hello Rapunzelina,

I have something pulling from beyond the grave, oooooooooooOOOooooOOO! I hope you like it, and I hope you have a very spooky Halloween!

'The Intruder' by Marjorie Bowen (1885-1952)
Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b000947023&view=1up&seq=412
Duration: 31.36
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_intruder_bowen_el_128kb.mp3

Erin
Thank you Erin,
This was great to listen to, thank you so much. I can't help but feel Du Maurier owes Marjorie some thanks for inspiring Rebecca with this one!

One PL note - the silence at the end is around 10 seconds long, and should be closer to 5.

Hope you had a good Halloween!
rafeball wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 9:27 am
Whew, I think I've just scraped into this collection! I'm a fan of good old E.F. Benson, but thought for this time around I'd do a tale by one of his brothers!

The Closed Window
By A.C. Benson (in the catalogue with his full name of Arthur Christopher Benson, I think)
Read by Rafe Ball
Time 26:29

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor045_closedwindow_benson_rb_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21536/21536-h/21536-h.htm#THE_CLOSED_WINDOW

Thanks for listening :-)

- Rafe
Thank you Rafe - I hadn't come across A C Benson but they're now on my list to explore!
Really enjoyably read too.
plus, it's PL ok!

Thanks everyone! I've enjoyed listening to these over the spooky weekend holiday :)
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10365
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » November 1st, 2020, 9:20 am

Thank you for proof listening, Alix! I am glad you enjoyed the experience. I will credit you as the proof listener for this collection. When I've posted the new one, feel free to jump in the thread if you'd like to continue :D (or, of course, feel free not to, if you'd like to get involved in other projects next :mrgreen: )

Newgatenovelist
Posts: 3376
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Post by Newgatenovelist » November 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm

alixsquish wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:11 am
One PL note - the silence at the end is around 10 seconds long, and should be closer to 5.

Hope you had a good Halloween!
Hello Alixsquish! I'm sorry I called you Rapunzelina. I thought she had PLing duties. Thank you for listening though, and I hope you had a good Halloween!

I'm going to ask about the end silence, though maybe this is more of a question (general confused statement?) for Rapunzelina. I used 10 seconds at the end deliberately because the file was more than half an hour. My understanding was that, although some new players are fine, some players truncate files, and that files with a duration in excess of 30 minutes can use 10 seconds at the end to help to counter this problem of having the end chopped off. Again, as I understood it, this was something that made recordings more accessible for more listeners without inconveniencing listeners who have hi-tech players. There may be new info, or I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Can you (Alixsquish or Rapunzelina!) shed some light on the subject?
Erin

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10365
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » November 1st, 2020, 2:08 pm

We used to leave 10 seconds of silence for longer recordings for this reason you described, Erin. At some point we decided 5 was enough for all recordings, probably to make things simpler. Alix was commenting with the new data as per the first post, but yes, the file is still ok. I'm probably so used to the old ending silence, like Erin, that I wouldn't have noticed the difference :mrgreen: I'll mark it PL OK to get us closer to cataloguing :D

Post Reply