[COMPLETE] The Master-Girl by Ashton Hilliers- ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The Master-Girl: A Romance by Ashton Hilliers (1854 - 1941).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:https://librivox.org/the-master-girl-a-romance-by-henry-marriage-wallis/
A romance of the stone age. Deh-Yun of the Little Moon comes across Pul-Yun of the Sun Disc, who has broken his leg while in search of a woman to kidnap and take as wife. Deserting her tribe, Deh-Yun nurses him back to health and saves him from attack not once, but twice. The more resourceful half of the couple, the Master Girl invents a new weapon and returns to her husband's disbelieving tribe... (Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/mastergirl00hillrich/page/n3/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: fS2g8XPS

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ashton Hilliers) : http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/hilliers_ashton

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have:
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1910
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================[/size]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: stone age

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Master Girl. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Master Girl, by Ashton Hilliers. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Master Girl by Ashton Hilliers. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Master Girl, by Ashton Hilliers. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename mastergirl_##_hilliers_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mastergirl_01_hilliers_128kb.mp3)

[
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on November 30th, 2020, 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC, Newgatenovelist DPL

Forgot to put in the number of sections, sorry! It is 13
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your window awaiteth thee - I'll move us to going solo

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Bookmarked, subscribed - revving my engine!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Away we go! Part one ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_01_hilliers.mp3 - 19:10

After PL, I'm planning to change the intro and outro of this from 'Part one of... / end of part one' to 'Prologue to... / end of prologue'. Then i'll carry on with Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. Does that make sense?

This prologue is really the opening chapter of the book, and it seems confusing to me when Chapter 1 is Part 2 and so on.

Also I realise I had the title of the book slightly wrong. Rather than 'The Master Girl', it is 'The Master-Girl: A Romance' - I've corrected that on the first post and will do the same in the recording.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

Can I go back to the catalogue pages for Manchester Poetry?

For me, the cover image is showing on the IA page, but not on the LV page (thumbnail or download). On the LV it is trying to download a file manchester_poets_2010.jpg, but failing.

On the LV page, I can see some of the authors - Byrom, Ainsworth, Bamford, Gardiner, but the others are blank (on the IA page the others all show up as James Wheeler). I entered all of them into the metadata on the MW. The ones that are showing are the ones that were already in the author catalogue, and the ones that are not showing are not in the author catalogue. Is that why?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll look at the images I did change them so maybe something has gone astray
I'll have to ask some questions about the metadata, it's a while since I've handled a collection except the Christmas one. I'm fairly busy at the moment but I won't forget.
(remind me if I do :D )
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All the images show for me on the LV page can you refresh it or reopen it ? they all showed for me when you said before too. Archive has been very very busy recently.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

The notes for the prologue are below. What a weird and wonderful book it's already shaping up to be. A bumbling professor! A passing mention of Frederic Myers! A cave bear!

Intro and outro - 'prologue' + 'MG: A Romance' [as noted - and yes, changing it so the numbers are less confusing makes sense]

5.46-5.49, bottom p 4 omission
...”Eminent in his own line, [but--] peculiar,”...

9.11-9.14, top third p 8
...mountain coltsfoot, and the great purple gentian...
https://www.lexico.com/definition/gentian

12.55-12.59, top half p 11
...was the clear, boldly- [heard bodily-] drawn lines of the picture...

16.48-16.53, mid-page p 14
...but, they approached the Surmise with propitiatory sacrifices...
https://www.lexico.com/definition/propitiatory

The pronunciation notes are as much for future and/or off-LV work as for this chapter. If you can’t get to them or don’t want to do them for this chapter, the world won’t come to an end!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the PL notes! And here is Chapter 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_02_hilliers.mp3 - 17:30

It carries on in this vein as far as I have read, so I'm not sure that the nutty professor will be back!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

The image is loading for me now, so no problem with that.

I guess there is no point in listing the individual poets if they are not in the author catalogue, so let me see first if I can find something meaningful to say about them.

Phil
annise wrote: October 24th, 2020, 2:58 am I'll look at the images I did change them so maybe something has gone astray
I'll have to ask some questions about the metadata, it's a while since I've handled a collection except the Christmas one. I'm fairly busy at the moment but I won't forget.
(remind me if I do :D )
Newgatenovelist

Chapter 1 is PL OK. No problem if the nutty professor doesn't come back - I'm already more interested in the protagonist!
eggs4ears wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:54 am It carries on in this vein as far as I have read, so I'm not sure that the nutty professor will be back!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne, I was just explaining to Erin by PM about Sydney, Melbourne and lockdowns. Glad to hear you can start to move about again! Was that you I saw on TV queuing at Kmart at midnight last night? :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

um no. It will be nice see my daughter properly (she has brought masks and lasagne at times and we talked through the wire door wearing masks), and I am hoping by Christmas that SA lets my daughter and 2 grandchildren come over. I haven't seen them since they flew back from NZ where they were holidaying, on one of the last flights in March, and that was only while they picked up their car. Some of my housewear is getting a bit tattered especially that with pockets for my mp3 player.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Back to the book! Chapter 2 ready for PL...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_03_hilliers.mp3 - 34:24