[COMPLETE] The Master-Girl by Ashton Hilliers- ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » November 29th, 2020, 4:47 am

Chapters 8 & 9 corrected.

No, 30-40 minutes is about my limit before my mouth dries up and my brain goes soggy!
Newgatenovelist wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 2:51 pm
I assumed (I'm not sure why) that you just cracked on with extended recording sessions.

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » November 29th, 2020, 10:49 am

Chapters 8 and 9 are spot PL OK.

Well, if your recording sessions are curtailed, you manage some mammoth (couldn't help myself) chapters, and without noticeable differences between sessions!

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » November 30th, 2020, 3:44 am

Now, here's a long one! But no shortage of action :)

Chapter 10 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_10_hilliers.mp3 - 61:13

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » November 30th, 2020, 8:51 am

Notes for chapter 10 below. This project feels like coming full circle - William Morris had an excellent archer who was female, and now we're seeing her long-ago forebear!

5.15-5.19, p 222 bottom first para
...she made me a sound man, as thou canst see. as thou can see.

7.45, p 224 start second para, omission
“Nor I, [chief],” said Pul-Yun, making low…

8.44-8.48, p 225 mid-page
...being unacquainted with the premonitory symptoms [heard systems] of age...

22.54-22.57, start last para p 237, slight stumble
...exciting amazement, amusement an- and curiosity as it went.

32.46-, top p 246, omission
...with braves,” [said the old chief,] interpreting...

35.55, bottom third p 248, omission
...who might have saved herself, – [what did she?] – What did she? – I ask!”

41.18-41.21, top half p 253
...with a sort of shy [heard sly] bravado.

55.22-55.27, last para p 264, self-correction
...seeming to o’ertop the toll- the tallest brave of her tribe.

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 1st, 2020, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the PL notes - I'll get them done when you've finished with the last two chapters. I can see you are keen to push on, so here goes!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_12_hilliers.mp3 - 28:26
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mastergirl_13_hilliers.mp3 - 4:13

I may be a bit slow on the uptake, but what on earth is going on in the Epilogue? I can see it links back to the Prologue, but I can't make sense of it at all. :(

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Ha! I didn't have any other PLing and I did have a block of time, so I decided to tackle the long chapter! No rush on the notes.

Notes for chapter 11 are below. The epilogue is PL OK. As to what's going on, I think (just my immediate take on it having finished PLing five minutes ago) at the very beginning of the epilogue the nutty professor is coming round and is still pretty woozy, thinking of himself as a specimen. Gradually he realises he is in fact a living and nerdy guy. He asks for a pen and paper so he can write down what he's just dreamt - I think maybe it's hinted that the narrative of the master girl was written down by him. In the prologue he got knocked out when a bit of the cave brained him, and when he started waking up in hospital he was coming back to his old ideas about knowledge (everything is dusty, items go in museums, etc.). But in between, when he wasn't 'himself', he had access to a version of what he'd hoped for, a vision of what life was like back then. Does that make sense? Admittedly the dots might have been joined a bit better for the reader - it's easier to remember the master girl's exploits than the goofy professor from the very beginning of the book!

6.48-6.50, bottom p 275
...obeah-work doubtless...
https://www.lexico.com/definition/obeah
https://howjsay.com/how-to-pronounce-obeah
Just to confuse matters even more than the general pronunciation note, the second link pronounces it ‘Obi’, which is how it’s spelled a few pages later. I don’t know why he used two different forms with at least two possible pronunciations either!

9.18, p 277 last para, small stumble (I think)
...all night be- beside her dead...

23.49, mid-page p 289, omission
...this woman ([think] – a woman!) had brought...

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 3rd, 2020, 3:41 pm

Chapters 10 & 11 corrected. If they are okay, we are ready to go to the catalogue :9:

For 'obeah', I think I was thrown by the acute accent on the 'e'. So I have gone with the same pronunciation for both cases - 'obi'. But with my stuffy linguist's hat on, I have to disagree with the dictionary on the long 'o' sound, which is too much of an anglicisation for me.

The Epilogue: Well, at the end of the prologue, I was expecting some kind of time travel and for the professor to pop up in the stone age, which didn't happen. So, yes, that must be him waking up and asking for the pen to start writing the book. Lets not worry about it, it was a great read! It really should have been in the Newcastle collection.

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Spot PL OK for chapters 10 and 11. Get this Stone Age relic into the catalogue! It will certainly keep people entertained as they prep Christmas dinner!

With obeah, accented or not, and obi, I have no idea how they came by those pronunciations but you may very well be right about the O being anglicised. I checked them because so many of the words in the book come from other languages and/or are offensive now, and I wanted to take extra care around them.

As for the epilogue, can you imagine what would have happened if the professor had been transported back in time? The master girl might have made short work of him!

Are you launching another project?

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 5th, 2020, 3:27 am

Thanks, Ready to catalogue! :9: :9: :9:
Newgatenovelist wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Are you launching another project?
Yes, I am, but want to give fantasy a rest for a while and try something more 'literary'. I'll post when I've decided. At the moment, I'm thinking of...

Zoe - Geraldine Jewsbury (3 volumes, so do I do it as one long project or three separate ones?)
The Borough - George Crabbe
Some do not - FMF (though I am still a bit intimidated by all the accents I'd need to do)

And then there are the last two Gaskell short stories collections.

You may well know another I have been reading (silently!). It is Louis Couperus' Small Souls quartet, which is another possibility.

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 6th, 2020, 4:44 am

I think for now I am going edit a few Gaskell pieces I have on my computer. I have launched a project for Modern Greek Songs, if you are both happy to stick with me

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84098&p=1817860#p1817860

I also have Lois the Witch and The Gray Woman to edit, from the Gaskell House readalong earlier this year, but I'll have to start a new All the Year Round project for those.

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » December 6th, 2020, 7:13 am

About to check in with Gaskell - but for future projects, Jewsbury, Crabbe, FMF or Couperus all sound fine. Stretch your legs after all of this time travelling/visions from the past!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 7th, 2020, 1:19 am

Back from a cross border trip to South Australia to see my daughter and family for the first time since covid arrived - will start things rolling. Any ideas about cover material ?

Anne

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 7th, 2020, 3:06 am

Hope it was a great trip!

Lots of images in the book, including a mammoth!
annise wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 1:19 am
Back from a cross border trip to South Australia to see my daughter and family for the first time since covid arrived - will start things rolling. Any ideas about cover material ?

Anne

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 11th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Someone seems to have forgotten to post about this :shock: (looking around to find someone else to blame, perhaps I could blame the dog ?). Well it has been in the catalogue for a few days .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:https://librivox.org/the-master-girl-a-romance-by-henry-marriage-wallis/

Thank you both - I just couldn't make the mammoth work in the cover.

Anne

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » December 12th, 2020, 3:55 am

Thanks, Anne. You have gone for the racy cover! I like it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But do you want to use his real name? Ashton Hilliers is the name in the book and shows up more on the Internet.