COMPLETE - [RELIGION] Concerning Grace and Free Will by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 2nd, 2020, 6:49 am

Concerning Grace and Free Will by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1090 - 1153). Translated by Watkin Williams (1859 - 1944)

All audio file may be found in our catalog: https://librivox.org/concerning-grace-and-free-will-by-saint-bernard-of-clairvaux/
The subject of the treatise was suggested, as is plain from the text itself, as the result of a public, or at any rate semi-public, discussion with some person unknown in which St. Bernard, in stringly commending the work of grace, had seemed to lay himself open to the charge of unduly minimizing the function of free will. There is about the treatise the fragrance of mystical theology; not the mystical theology of the esoteric, but that of the simple Christian living in the world. It is wonderful how this ascetic, this cloistered recluse, touches his subject with the hand of one who knows the pulsations of average humanity. (Modified from introduction)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/treatiseofstber00bern/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Concerning Grace and Free Will. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Concerning Grace and Free Will, by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux. Translated by Watkin Williams [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Concerning Grace and Free Will by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux. Translated by Watkin Williams. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Concerning Grace and Free Will, by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux. Translated by Watkin Williams"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename concerninggraceandfreewill_##_bernardofclairvaux_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. concerninggraceandfreewill_01_bernardofclairvaux_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID3 tags. They are automatically filled in during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by InTheDesert on October 7th, 2020, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 2nd, 2020, 8:23 am

I would be glad to join you again as DPL.
~ Larry

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 2nd, 2020, 8:57 am

Great news. Feel free to give criticism, especially about the recording quality (which I have tried to improve yet again from my first twp attempts).

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 4th, 2020, 5:45 am

Anyone willing to MC this? It's quite short and should be completed quite quickly.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 4th, 2020, 6:11 am

InTheDesert wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 5:45 am
Anyone willing to MC this? It's quite short and should be completed quite quickly.
Never a need to ask. As we have availability we pick up new projects. Sometimes it takes a few days. Eventually, everything gets done.

I've just cataloged a project so I'm happy to help out with this one. :wink:

I'll be back soon with the MW.

EDIT: You should be all set. Make sure you can access the MW and I'll get us moved to going solo.

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 4th, 2020, 6:31 am

linny wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:11 am
Never a need to ask. As we have availability we pick up new projects. Sometimes it takes a few days. Eventually, everything gets done.
Thanks heaps. Still learning how it works!

Chapters 1-4 are up. Very aggressive noise reduction this time, would welcome feedback from silverquill on whether it's an improvement.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 4th, 2020, 6:33 am

To going solo we go! Have a great project. I'll be lurking in the background if you need me.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 4th, 2020, 10:22 am

Do you have any additional information on the translator? While Jo was updating the database with the author change from your last project she discovered the following:

The translator of Concerning Grace and Free Will by Bernard of Clairvaux is Watkin Williams. No wiki link was given, but I am assuming it is this Watkin Williams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkin_Williams_(bishop)

The date of birth given by the reader was 1859, but the above wikipedia link shows 1845. The date of death matches (1944).

Jo updated both records. For Moule, his full name is now the main entry with the other two as pseudonyms.

For Williams, I added the wiki link and updated the date of birth.

Remember you can always read the name as it's listed in the text.

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 4th, 2020, 11:26 am

linny wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 10:22 am
Do you have any additional information on the translator? While Jo was updating the database with the author change from your last project she discovered the following:

The translator of Concerning Grace and Free Will by Bernard of Clairvaux is Watkin Williams. No wiki link was given, but I am assuming it is this Watkin Williams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkin_Williams_(bishop)

The date of birth given by the reader was 1859, but the above wikipedia link shows 1845. The date of death matches (1944).

Jo updated both records. For Moule, his full name is now the main entry with the other two as pseudonyms.

For Williams, I added the wiki link and updated the date of birth.

Remember you can always read the name as it's listed in the text.
Sorry for the trouble. Detective work is all part of the adventure I suppose.

I don't think it can be the same Watkin Williams because your wikipedia article is a Watkin Herbert Williams but the translator is Watkin W. Williams (some googling tells me the W stands for Wynn, and his work was almost exclusively on St. Bernard). Archive.org is pretty confident that he was born in 1859 though potentially also 1851 https://archive.org/search.php?query=watkin%20bernard&and[]=creator%3A%22williams%2C+watkin+wynn%2C+1859-%22&and[]=creator%3A%22williams%2C+watkin+wynn%2C+1858+or+9-%22). I remember getting my death date from Archive as well but I can't find it now so I assume I got the wrong guy. https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/101652488 thinks he was born in 1858 or 1859 and if he was still publishing in 1953 then he can't have died in 1944. All of which is to say, I'm not sure :hmm:

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 4th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I will pass on the info.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 5th, 2020, 8:38 am

InTheDesert wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:31 am

Chapters 1-4 are up. Very aggressive noise reduction this time, would welcome feedback from silverquill on whether it's an improvement.
Well, I find nothing to fault in your audio quality, so whatever you're doing is fine. :)

All of these are PL OK.
Chapter 1 is worth the price of the book. . . .
~ Larry

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 5th, 2020, 7:00 pm

silverquill wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:38 am

Well, I find nothing to fault in your audio quality, so whatever you're doing is fine. :)

All of these are PL OK.
I'm using a noise gate which is liable to cut the end off sentences (though I've tried to prevent that) so shout out if something goes wrong - I still have the unprocessed files.

Thanks for PLing. Chapters 5-8 are up.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 6th, 2020, 9:06 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:00 pm
silverquill wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:38 am

All of these are PL OK.
I'm using a noise gate which is liable to cut the end off sentences (though I've tried to prevent that) so shout out if something goes wrong - I still have the unprocessed files.

Thanks for PLing. Chapters 5-8 are up.
5-8 are PL OK.
I haven't noticed in cut off to this point.
~ Larry

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 7th, 2020, 4:24 am

Sections 9-14 are now up. As I edited, I noticed more table creak than usual. Not sure what happened. If you want me to rerecord any of them because it's distracting, I can.

Struggling to make sense of what he has said. He's certainly Augustinian, but is he closer to Luther or to Aquinas?

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 7th, 2020, 9:08 am

I'm marking all of these PL OK except Chapter 9
It ia a very small thing, but I thought you might like to take care of it - just an easy snip.

3:08 repeat of “and”
~ Larry