COMPLETE[PLAY]Love for Love by Congreve - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 25th, 2020, 4:18 amJeremy act 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveforlove_jeremy_5.mp3
That was a fun role. I always enjoy doing comic servants :thumbs:
:mrgreen: we all do ! I especially loved the tone of voice when you say "Oh, Ignorance !" :lol: The scene with Chris will be excellent at this point.

Thank you, Alan, all PL ok :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wohoo, James, this was again a brilliant performance. :clap: Scandal could well be a character out of an Oscar Wilde play. Your slighty sneering tone of voice throughout the play is excellent for this role. :thumbs: Totally enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to hearing all this in dialogue.

All of Scandal PL ok. Thank you so much, and hopefully you'll be in another play soon ;)

Sonia
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Could I read Mrs. Frail sections 1-5? Also, should I use a British (RC) accent or neutral/mid-Atlantic? I'm an experienced actress, but new to LibriVox. :)
WendyKatzHiller

Oops. Typo. That's RP accent.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome. Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

I see you have passed the One Minute Test so we know your equipment is set up properly. Great.

The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. (Lottsa examples throughout this project.) These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. I also have a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which - using the words in the MW - should be something like: "Mrs. Frail, sister to Mrs. Foresight, a woman of the town, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be - does not have to be the same as your forum name). This credit is used to generate a cast list.

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd

Oh, and you asked about accent. I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in ANY part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.
WendyKatzHiller

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get started.
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

Kitty wrote: November 27th, 2020, 5:18 am
wohoo, James, this was again a brilliant performance. :clap: Scandal could well be a character out of an Oscar Wilde play. Your slighty sneering tone of voice throughout the play is excellent for this role. :thumbs: Totally enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to hearing all this in dialogue.

All of Scandal PL ok. Thank you so much, and hopefully you'll be in another play soon ;)

Sonia
thank u, glad it was all OK! it took a while to get right
WendyKatzHiller

Here's my first go. Let me know if you'd like me to change anything. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/LoveforLove_MrsFrail_1_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Our DPL will listen and let you know if there are any issues.

One thing that does not matter here in Drama but will matter in Books etc - where your file is directly cataloged instead of being torn apart during the editing process - is that file names can not have capital letters in them. Something to do with Archive.org where our final files live and the old computer operating systems they try to be compatible with. Again - that does NOT matter for this. But you may want to practice using lower case all the time.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: December 6th, 2020, 1:06 pmHere's my first go. Let me know if you'd like me to change anything. Thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/LoveforLove_MrsFrail_1_128kb.mp3
wonderful first act, Wendy 8-) I absolutely love Mrs Frail's naughty character. My favourite sentence was the pregnant pause in: "I hear you have a great many pictures." :lol: Now you'll be a match for Chris' suavity (he is Tattle in the play). Can't wait to hear all this assembled.

I only found one small textual error here:

> at 2:15: "and prognosticates an admiral and an eminent justice of the peace" – you say "admirable" but she here means two different careers for their children

And as Todd already mentioned, we shouldn't use capital letters for the filenames, but for drama that's a minor detail.

Thanks

Sonia
WendyKatzHiller

Thanks! I'll fix the errors and re-upload.
WendyKatzHiller

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd