COMPLETE: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius - NF/ct

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

LeonMire wrote: I'm a little bit tired of George Long right now. I like his translation, but IM(NS)HO, he wrote a rambling and inconsistent biography of Marcus Aurelius. Still, I'm glad to have this recording done so that more people can enjoy what the emperor himself had to say. Yah00t! :clap: :clap:

-Leon
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Leon,

I am totally with you an this (which I why I took the hour long Section 14 ramble). But now we have, in addition, a guide for pronunciation of Latin names...

Will try to PL today.

Thanks a bunch,
TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Ticktockman wrote: Leon,

I am totally with you an this (which I why I took the hour long Section 14 ramble). But now we have, in addition, a guide for pronunciation of Latin names...

Will try to PL today.

Thanks a bunch,
TTM

:hmm: Where is this guide for Latin names? I'd be happy to list it on the pronunciation wiki. (BTW, I later checked out a copy of "Merriam-Webster's Biographical Dictionary" from the library and it had pronunciations listed for every name in my recording. Coulda saved me a lot of time, and as it turns out I mispronounced a few names... :cry: :cry:) Oh well.. thanks for the PL! And thanks for BCing this project.. I am one of the many who looks forward to listening to the completed work.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

:hmm: Where is this guide for Latin names? I'd be happy to list it on the pronunciation wiki. (BTW, I later checked out a copy of "Merriam-Webster's Biographical Dictionary" from the library and it had pronunciations listed for every name in my recording. Coulda saved me a lot of time, and as it turns out I mispronounced a few names... :cry: :cry:) Oh well.. thanks for the PL! And thanks for BCing this project.. I am one of the many who looks forward to listening to the completed work.
Leon,

I was implying that we could extract it from your chapter :wink: , but now that you've owned up to chipdoccing the file, we'll need to keep looking :lol:
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

TTM --

I'll proof this myself, just so we don't have to wait around.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caet & Leon,

It's perfect up to minute 42, if you want to pick it up from there (though I suspect there was a bit of chipdoccing ~ minute 33 :P )
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Ticktockman wrote:Caet & Leon,

It's perfect up to minute 42, if you want to pick it up from there (though I suspect there was a bit of chipdoccing ~ minute 33 :P )
Haha, I know what part you're talking about.. with the Latin and all. Actually I carefully followed "Latin Pronunciation Demystified," an online guide to Latin pronunciation, and I looked up all the words in a Latin dictionary to see which vowels were long. But I am terrrrrrible at rrrrolling my r's, as you can probably tell from my attempt at "terrentur." But oh well, I'm going to learn Latin someday anyway. :)

I've got to wonder, though.. if you did the first 42 minutes, why didn't you do the last 55 seconds? I took a quick listen, and can confirm that I did not goof up at the finish line. That is, there are no errors in the last minute, and so it is PL-OK. Caet, you can confirm that if you'd like.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Leon,

Sorry about that...I thought it was 47 minutes (don't know why), and I was listening to the last part in the car. :oops:

Anyway, great read...let's get this cataloged. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks much,
TTM
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Yep, it's in the Mysterious Validator - if all goes well it'll be cataloged tonight (before I go to work, hopefully)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Done!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Many thanks to all who inspired & participated in this project

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

TTM - do me a favor and run a quick check on the page to make sure I got the info correct? I was trying to edit as I went (the validator automatically calls things "chapters" and that wasn't true for some sections of the book) but if I got it wrong let me know so I can fix it. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland