[COMPLETE] Manchester Poetry by James Wheeler -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Manchester Poetry by James Wheeler ( - 0).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:https://librivox.org/manchester-poetry-by-james-wheeler/
Manchester's first published anthology of locally-written poetry was compiled by editor James Wheeler to show that Manchester, 'the most mechanical of boroughs', had more to offer than spinning jennies and power looms. The collection includes selections from ten Manchester-born poets, among whom Charles Swain was the best known. ( Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/manchesterpoetr02wheegoog/page/n6/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: yWDwMipA

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (James Wheeler) : n/a

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1838
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, Manchester

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Manchester Poetry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Manchester Poetry, by James Wheeler. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Manchester Poetry by James Wheeler. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Manchester Poetry, by James Wheeler. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename manchesterpoetry_##_wheeler_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. manchesterpoetry_01_wheeler_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on September 14th, 2020, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise (MC) and newgatenovelist (DPL). First selection ready to go.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW ready, I assume you don't have any further information about the editor other than he was alive in 1836 and 38 and he's described as "of Preswick"

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne. I can't find anything about him on the web, but I may be able to look him up in a book. He was a historian who wrote a big history of Manchester so I may be able to find something.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in for now, very excited about having Manc poetry in my life, will PL later!
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 01:

1.13-1.15, p 3 [40 of 287 if that’s how the scan pages are displaying for you], second stanza, penultimate line
My [heard The] fair one is gone…

It's quite nice hearing this. I don't know how much these poems have been read in the decades since this anthology was published, but this is probably more of an outing than they've had in some time.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: September 11th, 2020, 12:30 pm It's quite nice hearing this. I don't know how much these poems have been read in the decades since this anthology was published, but this is probably more of an outing than they've had in some time.
Probably very little - even then!

Part 1 corrected and uploaded and Part 2 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mancpoetry_02_wheeler.mp3 - 18:11

I don't know why he called her Mrs. Fletcher (ok, probably because that was her name), but I believe she only published as Maria Jane Jewsbury.

Do you know her sister, Geraldine Jewsbury? I have read a couple of chapters of Zoe, and will probably carry on with it later in the year.
Newgatenovelist

Section 1 is spot PL OK.

Section 2 notes:

3.56-3.58, p 16 first stanza, omission
And many [a] mossy bank to lave;

6.28-6.30, p 19 epigraph, extra word
“The things [which] we enjoy are passing…

8.29-8.31 p 21 epigraph
By the murmur of a spring, [heard string]

10.33-10.36 bottom third p 22
Thy [heard The] deep secret yearnings...

Geraldine Jewsbury - yes! I know a bit about her, beyond her friendship with Jane Carlyle. She was a reader for Richard Bentley, the novel publisher, and, depending on whose novels you like to read, she has a bit of a reputation as either something of a moralistic gatekeeper or a hardworking author and reader who promoted talent. She was pretty scathing about Not Wisely but Too Well, the novel by Rhoda Broughton (the niece of J. S. Le Fanu, so she was connected!), and Broughton had a crack at her in consequence in a later novel after the word got out. I'm sorry, I think my fingers and enthusiasm just outran my judgement. Just tell me if my gossip about 19th-century cultural history is too much!

I've not read Zoe. I have a copy (unread, alas) of The Half Sisters on my shelves, but I keep buying books and don't have the knowledge of Jewsbury I would like. Feeling tempted to record anything...?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's not too much for me - in solos it isn't a problem. Sometimes posts get lost, but I know I'll be PMed if I miss something here.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the notes on Part 2. I'll get back to you on Zoe later, but I meant that I've recorded a couple of chapters. It's a triple-decker, so a bit daunting, but I'll probably continue with it later in the year.

Meanwhile, just a heads up that I have changed the source text as there are a few missing pages in the one I have been using - same text, just a different scan. The link is below and I've also made the change in the first post.

https://archive.org/details/manchesterpoetr02wheegoog/page/n6/mode/2up
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've fixed it in the database so it will be right when we catalogue - the database is based on the template so it's great you told me :thumbs: :thumbs:
Of to going Solo
Newgatenovelist

Okay on Zoe. Whatever you decide to do is fine - if it's too much, that's fine, and if you'd like to do it, I'm all ears!

What a stroke of luck to have multiple scans on the Internet Archive. I hope everybody reads and listens to Manchester poetry!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Although 'The Prince of the Storm' was good fun!

Word perfect notes for section 3 below. When I run the files through Checker, some of them are showing a fair bit of background noise (the point at which it flags it is around 40 db). Section 3 is just below the cutoff, but sections 2 and 4 are a little over. Have you perhaps altered something in your setup between recording sessions?

3.02-3.04, p 36 last line
Of [heard O] youth, hope, joy!

11.43-11.45, p 45 first stanza, omission
When Friendship’s [hand] is near us!

11.58-12.01, p 45 second stanza first line
That [heard The] power which gave the sun its plan,

12.47-12.51, p 46 first stanza
And the fields gave [heard give] no verdure for fear of the storm!