COMPLETE [solo] Za chlebem by Henryk Sienkiewicz - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Za chlebem by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1846 - 1916).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/za-chlebem-by-henryk-sienkiewicz/
Historia dwojga ludzi, ojca i córki, i ich podróży przez Atlantyk w poszukiwaniu lepszego życia w Stanach Zjednoczonych ( Piotr Nater)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Pisma_Henryka_Sienkiewicza_tom_IV
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; Travel Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: emigracja, podróż, ameryka, stany zjednoczone

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Za chlebem . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Za chlebem , by Henryk Sienkiewicz. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Za chlebem by Henryk Sienkiewicz. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Za chlebem , by Henryk Sienkiewicz. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename zachlebem_##_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. zachlebem_01_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kikisaulite
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Piotrek81 on October 10th, 2020, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

It's been some time since I last recorded a solo in Polish. This one is a story about two people, father and daughter, conned into a transatlatic travel to America.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Hi, Piotr!
I will MC this one for you. Setting up in a moment.

Learning Polish language right now, so much interested! :D

Kristine
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Welcome on board :) I've PMed a Polish user asking whether she'd like to PL this.

I'm hoping to start recording over the weekend. There are 3 chapters altogether, but they are on the longer side so I decided to request 6 sections in case I feel lazy :mrgreen:
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Hello, I will be very happy to PL this!
-nina-
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Added Nina as DPL and moving us to Solos!

Kiki
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 1 has been uploaded. After some consideration, I'll split each chapter into 2 parts, so all the MW sections will be used.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 2 is in.

Two months ago I visited a Museum of Emigration and the atrocious conditions for the 4th class passengers and the unscrupulous agent mentioned in the story mirror what I learned from the exhibition.
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Section 1 is PL ok, with one point for discussion:

at 4:52 it reads "tylko ten drąg sloneczny". I've checked the original text and yes, this is how it is there. But I think it's a typo, and it should read "krąg" - makes more sense. BTW the same text in Wolne Lektury doesn't have this typo.

-nina-
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I remember noticing it but, seeing as the scan says the same, I shrugged it off. Somehow it never occurred to me that it was probably meant to be "krąg"...
I cross-checked it with a paper edition at home and decided to fix it. Here it is
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/zachlebem_01_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3 duration unchanged.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I had make one more amendment to both sections. Somehow I completely forgot to include the chapter title in the intros :roll: The fixed versions have been uploaded.
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Piotrek81 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 10:30 am I had make one more amendment to both sections. Somehow I completely forgot to include the chapter title in the intros :roll: The fixed versions have been uploaded.
OMG and I didn't notice! Bad girl. But at least the sun is the right shape! :lol: (kiki, the typo I mentioned was in the word describing the shape of the sun, drąg = big stick, krąg - round, circle shape).
-nina-
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Section 1 is now PL OK, so is Section 2. Good job! Very depressing story...
-nina-
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The next section is in.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 4 is in the MW.

As for the settlements mentioned in the text:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radom,_Illinois
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panna_Maria,_Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farwell,_Nebraska (formerly known as Posen, zoom in on shopsign in the photo)