COMPLETE: The Turkish Embassy Letters by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EltonTheSnowman
Posts: 101
Joined: November 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Location: Croatia

Post by EltonTheSnowman » October 3rd, 2020, 12:54 am

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am

Thank you, Matea!

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 4th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Great reading! I have just a couple of notes:

(4:28) I hear "transsubstantation" instead of "transsubstantiation"
(8:19,8:24) "Arnaöu(t)s" (the t is not printed clearly, but it's there in other editions) and "Arnaöutlich" is an attempt to render the Ottoman Turkish words for Albanian (Arnaut) and Albania (Arnautluk), with the ö being a diaresis rather than an umlaut. I would suggest pronouncing these as ar-nah-OOTS and ar-nah-OOT-lick. I wouldn't normally comment on pronounciation of imperfectly heard and transcribed words, but I think it's a bit disorienting especially to hear the last one read with a (very nice) German accent. :)
(13:42) stumble and repeat "this smock has wide..."

Thanks!
Michael

EltonTheSnowman
Posts: 101
Joined: November 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Location: Croatia

Post by EltonTheSnowman » October 5th, 2020, 8:23 am

Kazbek wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Great reading! I have just a couple of notes:

(4:28) I hear "transsubstantation" instead of "transsubstantiation"
(8:19,8:24) "Arnaöu(t)s" (the t is not printed clearly, but it's there in other editions) and "Arnaöutlich" is an attempt to render the Ottoman Turkish words for Albanian (Arnaut) and Albania (Arnautluk), with the ö being a diaresis rather than an umlaut. I would suggest pronouncing these as ar-nah-OOTS and ar-nah-OOT-lick. I wouldn't normally comment on pronounciation of imperfectly heard and transcribed words, but I think it's a bit disorienting especially to hear the last one read with a (very nice) German accent. :)
(13:42) stumble and repeat "this smock has wide..."

Thanks!
Michael
Here's the corrected version of section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_3_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3
(20:29)

Thank you so much for the pronunciation help, Michael! I tried to find the pronunciation for Arnaöu(t), but the only result I got was this text. :lol: And now I know the Ottoman name for Albania!
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 5th, 2020, 4:15 pm

EltonTheSnowman wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:23 am
Here's the corrected version of section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_3_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3
(20:29)

Thank you so much for the pronunciation help, Michael! I tried to find the pronunciation for Arnaöu(t), but the only result I got was this text. :lol: And now I know the Ottoman name for Albania!
Great edits! PL OK. :thumbs:

Michael

jenno
Posts: 978
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Location: Chichester NSW Australia

Post by jenno » October 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm

May I claim section 6 please ?


Jennifer

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 3:03 pm

jenno wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm
May I claim section 6 please ?


Jennifer
Thanks, Jennifer! We're off to Readers Found...

Michael

jenno
Posts: 978
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Location: Chichester NSW Australia

Post by jenno » October 9th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Could I have some advice please before i begin to record section 6.
1. I have downloaded a Turkish pronunciation guide as there is quite a lot of Turkish in the 14th letter. I hope that I have been able to make a reasonable attempt but would be happy when you listen to it , for corrections.
2 . There are footnotes on pages 110 and 111. do you want those included?
3. The Latin inscriptions on page 112 . Do i just read them as is ? most are abbreviations but i can't work out the full text.
4. The Greek on page 109, which is in the Greek alphabet does not have a translation. How should this be read? I do not speak or understand ancient ( or for that matter modern) Greek.

Maybe you need a more accomplished linguist to complete this reading. If you feel this is the case please just tell me and I will retire gracefully from the project. I had probably not done enough research of the chapters before I took them on.

Looking forward to your answers !!!

Jennifer

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 10th, 2020, 8:24 am

jenno wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:26 pm
Could I have some advice please before i begin to record section 6.
1. I have downloaded a Turkish pronunciation guide as there is quite a lot of Turkish in the 14th letter. I hope that I have been able to make a reasonable attempt but would be happy when you listen to it , for corrections.
2 . There are footnotes on pages 110 and 111. do you want those included?
3. The Latin inscriptions on page 112 . Do i just read them as is ? most are abbreviations but i can't work out the full text.
4. The Greek on page 109, which is in the Greek alphabet does not have a translation. How should this be read? I do not speak or understand ancient ( or for that matter modern) Greek.

Maybe you need a more accomplished linguist to complete this reading. If you feel this is the case please just tell me and I will retire gracefully from the project. I had probably not done enough research of the chapters before I took them on.

Looking forward to your answers !!!

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your diligence!

1) I doubt the author expected her readers to make heads or tails of the Turkish phrases. I think they were meant just to give a bit of authentic flavor to their translation, and however you read them should do justice to that intent.
2) Please don't read the footnotes.
3) Inscriptions are hard! Reading them in their abbreviated form is perfectly fine. If you're reasonably sure about the full form of the words and you'd like to use it instead, I think that's fine too.
4) The Greek phrase is "Sigaian polin". I'm not entirely sure where the accent falls in the first word, but I think it would be read SEE-guy-ahn POH-lin in Erasmian pronunciation.

I'm sure your version will be just fine! :)

Michael

jenno
Posts: 978
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Location: Chichester NSW Australia

Post by jenno » October 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm

At the end of the 16th letter there is a note indicating to whom the letters were written. I have not included it so far as you indicated footnotes should not be read but it does seem to contain useful information that the listener might appreciate.

I will record it if you wish me to.. Will not send the recording until I hear from you.
Cheers

Jennifer

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 12th, 2020, 5:51 am

jenno wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 10:01 pm
At the end of the 16th letter there is a note indicating to whom the letters were written. I have not included it so far as you indicated footnotes should not be read but it does seem to contain useful information that the listener might appreciate.

I will record it if you wish me to.. Will not send the recording until I hear from you.
Cheers

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for pointing this out! I agree, this is useful information. I think it would be more useful for the listener to have it before the end of the letters. I've now added it to the description, so there's no need to record it. :)

Michael

ke126
Posts: 61
Joined: February 11th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by ke126 » October 12th, 2020, 4:41 pm


jenno
Posts: 978
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Location: Chichester NSW Australia

Post by jenno » October 12th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Section 6

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_06_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3

duration 40.30

I am not entirely content with the reading of the inscriptions. Sounds very odd to me but I do not see how I can improve them and give them actual meaning. If you can suggest improvements I would be happy to re -record that bit.

Cheers


Jennifer

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm

ke126 wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Section 5 uploaded for PL
jenno wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:45 pm
Section 6
What a pleasant coincidence, the two last sections coming in less than five minutes apart! Thank you to both of you, and I'll try to PL soon.

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » October 14th, 2020, 5:11 pm

ke126 wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Section 5 uploaded for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_5_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3

Duration - 31:38

- Kristin
Lovely reading! PL OK.

Michael

Post Reply