[COMPLETE] Trolley Folly by Henry Wallace Phillips - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 19th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Trolley Folly by Henry Wallace Phillips (1869 - 1930).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/trolley-folly-by-henry-wallace-phillips/
This collection of eleven short stories is packed with Henry Wallace Phillip’s offbeat humor. You will find a trolley car driver, bored with his route, who decides to drive around town instead. There are a couple of men unfamiliar with the basic properties of a canoe. And watch out for the curse of the chewing gum. Fun to read. Fund to record ( Tom Penn)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57494
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: HYVLbniy

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Henry Wallace Phillips) : n/a

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1909
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Humorous Fiction; Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Story [number] of Trolley Folly. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    "Trolley Folly, by Henry Wallace Phillips. Story [number] [Story title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Story [number] of Trolley Folly by Henry Wallace Phillips. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    "[story title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Story [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Trolley Folly, by Henry Wallace Phillips. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename trolleyfolly_##_phillips_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. trolleyfolly_01_phillips_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Henry Wallace Phillips
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Trolley Folly

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Penumbra on October 26th, 2020, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Penn

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 19th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Hi Tom! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 19th, 2020, 1:03 pm

I don't have him on board yet, but DACSOFT will probably volunteer to DPL, so no need to advertise yet.
Tom Penn

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 19th, 2020, 1:03 pm

OK, your MW is ready! We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL!

ETA: You are faster than I am at typing! I will take off the ~ until we hear from Don.
Ann

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 19th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Thanks, Ann. I think this is going to be a fun read.
Tom Penn

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » August 19th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Hi Tom,

Happy to be aboard. Thank you.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 19th, 2020, 7:37 pm

DACSoft wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 1:37 pm
Hi Tom,

Happy to be aboard. Thank you.
You are in as DPL, Don, thank you!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 26th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Chapter 1 is ready for PL. It was a lot of fun to record.
Tom Penn

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » August 29th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed listening to it. :)

Chapter 1 PL notes:

Intro (at 00:18): I believe there's an extra "Trolley Folly" here, instead of "Chapter 1." What do you think?

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 30th, 2020, 9:25 am

DACSoft wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Intro (at 00:18): I believe there's an extra "Trolley Folly" here, instead of "Chapter 1." What do you think?

Thank you,
I decided that since the first line of the intro gives the chapter number, I didn't need to say it again as part of the last line of the intro. So my chapter 1 intro is
Chapter 1 of Trolley Folly.
[LV long disclaimer]
Trolley Folly by Henry Wallace Phillips. Trolley Folly, Jimie Horton's Foretaste of Fortune

Having "Trolley Folly" three times in the intro does seem a little much. If it were up to me I would make my chapter 1 intro the same as the shortened version for later chapters (except I'd use the long disclaimer). But I imagine there were reasons for doing it the way it is.

I could say "chapter 1" after "Phillips", but none of the later chapters would be that way, so it seemed better not to.

I think the way I have recorded the intro sounds a bit awkward and I'd be happy to do it some other way if that makes sense and is acceptable.
Tom Penn

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » August 30th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the explanation. I wanted to be clear what you were thinking.

I agree with your suggestion of eliminating the third "Trolley Folly."

Chapter 1 of Trolley Folly.
[LV long disclaimer]
Trolley Folly by Henry Wallace Phillips. Jimie Horton's Foretaste of Fortune

As you say, that would correspond more closely to the rest of the chapters. I've made similar minor changes like that in my solos. I don't think that would cause an issue, but Ann could weigh in.

Don
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 30th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Oh, gosh, now I get to weigh in! I might be muddying up the waters a little bit! :?

OK, my question to this is, are these truly chapters, or are they short stories? If they are chapters, then I think your plan is fine. But, if these are short stories, then it might go...

Story 1 of Trolley Folly. This is a LibriVox recording, etc.

Trolley Folly, by Henry Wallace Phillips, Story 1, Trolley Folly, Jimmie Hogan's Foretaste of Fortune.

I think Jimmie Hogan's Foretaste of Fortune is the story/chapter subheading to the story/chapter title, which for the first one is Trolley Folly.

With all that said, I am not going to play the mean overlord (overlady?). In the end, the soloist is the one who decides how they want their project to be set up. I just do all the behind the scenes magic tricks and putting out of fires. What I said is only a suggestion, and if you, Tom, decide differently, that is fine with me.
Ann

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » August 30th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Tom, Ann,

The ebook was prepared by Distributed Proofreaders for PG, so I was able to access the original page images used from The Internet Archive (TIA).

Here is the link: https://archive.org/details/trolleyfolly00philiala

It may be of some help for chapter/short story question. As an ebook producer myself, the placement of the Chapter/Story number, for this section, in the ebook (which is not in the original image) confused me (I thought it a half-title for the book as a whole). Apologies if I caused any trouble. :oops:

Don
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » August 30th, 2020, 8:52 pm

No worries, Don! We are all trying to make sure that we do our best with these old texts! It is better to question something now rather than to let it go and find out that it should have been questioned to begin with. I agree with you, that "I" really should not be there in the ebook, it does cause confusion.
Ann

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » August 31st, 2020, 12:06 pm

It appears that this book is a collection of unrelated short stories (at least Jimmie, the lawyer, and the trolley company appear only in the first story and a quick glance didn't reveal any connection between stories). So I think it makes more sense to call them sections or stories than chapters. Since none of them are long enough to need to be divided, I think I'll just refer to them as stories (thank you Ann for that suggestion!).

So I will modify the first post to reflect what I am actually going to say and resubmit story 1 after I have fixed the intro and outro.

I didn't realize I could get to the original scans at TIA. That's good to know since I have on occasion found an obvious error but didn't know if it was introduced by PG or was in the original printing.

Thank you both! :thumbs:
Tom Penn