[COMPLETE]The Empire Of Business, by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
djpentz

Post by djpentz »

Perfect! Thank you for that excellent feedback. I'll get to work on the edits. Regarding the quote unquote, I wasn't sure how to handle them but read your note to another reader suggesting to leave them out so took that as a universal cue. :D I agree with your point though, that if it's hard to distinguish the quote from the sentence, then rather include them.

Regarding the editing, I think the one thing that I need to figure out is that I have a mic sensitivity that none of the other readers seem to exhibit. I listened to bits and bobs of some of the other chapter submissions and none of them have the breathing sensitivity that mine does. Is that a post recording edit, or just a product of the mic itself. Mine is a Rode NT-USB mic, and is quite sensitive. I read with it being about 8in from my face?

Are there any other obvious artifacts you can detect in the final MP3 that you'd suggest I incorporate? Eager to climb the learning curve!

- Darryl
msfry

Post by msfry »

djpentz wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:23 am Perfect! Thank you for that excellent feedback. I'll get to work on the edits. Regarding the quote unquote, I wasn't sure how to handle them but read your note to another reader suggesting to leave them out so took that as a universal cue. :D I agree with your point though, that if it's hard to distinguish the quote from the sentence, then rather include them.

Regarding the editing, I think the one thing that I need to figure out is that I have a mic sensitivity that none of the other readers seem to exhibit. I listened to bits and bobs of some of the other chapter submissions and none of them have the breathing sensitivity that mine does. Is that a post recording edit, or just a product of the mic itself. Mine is a Rode NT-USB mic, and is quite sensitive. I read with it being about 8in from my face?

Are there any other obvious artifacts you can detect in the final MP3 that you'd suggest I incorporate? Eager to climb the learning curve!

- Darryl
Q/EQ inclusion is generally at the reader's discretion (part of our art), keeping in mind that their judicial use along with pauses and intonation improves listener comprehension considerably since they don't have the benefit of visual cues.
I listen with headphones and did not detect anything the least unusual in your delivery. Breathiness is a natural thing which doesn't bother me at all.
Your Noise Reduction worked fine, and I don't use those other things you mentioned.
Volume was even throughout (mine tends to drop off at the end of each phrase, a real pain to fix if I don't concentrate).
You have to ask mike questions on the Need Help/Got Advice forum.
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Hi Team, I've finished Section 11, and it's ready for review and required or suggested changes or improvements.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_11_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Track Length: 35:45.88

I should have Section 12 completed by Tuesday evening.

Thank you!

Tom
Tom Carroll, crits/comments welcomed -- (tomlearningguy), Boise, Idaho, USA
"The book isn't 'about.' The book is the 'experience of.'" ~ George Guidall, Audiobook Narrator
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Tom. I look forward to listening.
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Thank you very much for your listening care and time, Michele.
"The book isn't 'about.' The book is the 'experience of.'" ~ George Guidall, Audiobook Narrator
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 11
You read dem charts and big numbas very very well, Tom, like you say 'em every day. Billions and billions and billions and billions, and etc. Gracious goodness me, that was a lot of numbers to read. All good. All good. Just one note:

20:07 The law of supply and demand. You say value. He is referring to the law, I believe. :)
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Hi Michele,

Thanks so much for the help with the tables. Your suggestions made that task much easier for me.
Again, thank you so much for your support in helping me navigate Librivox and setting up some good practices at the outset.

I have made the correction that you pointed out and have uploaded the edited mp3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_11_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Looks like it's going I'll finish editing the next part tomorrow evening.

Best,

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

11 is PL OK. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 13 Labour is uploaded. I will need a prooflistener. Maybe Tom, once he finishes 12 and if he has time and inclination, would do me the honors?
It is an interesting chapter alright, but seemed soooooo very laborous to do. :shock:
Labour is a mighty big subject!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_13_carnegie_128kb.mp3 44:13
Last edited by msfry on September 24th, 2020, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Hi Michele,

Yes! I'd be honored to proof listen. Thanks for the opportunity. In fact, I am going to do this first, because I'm having a challenge with controlling external noise today to finish my fourth go at section 12!

Best,

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

tomlearningguy wrote: September 24th, 2020, 11:07 am Hi Michele,

Yes! I'd be honored to proof listen. Thanks for the opportunity. In fact, I am going to do this first, because I'm having a challenge with controlling external noise today to finish my fourth go at section 12!

Best,

Tom
Ah, thank you very much. I suspect this is your first PL gig, so I'll advise, though I guess you already know, that I'm not looking for Word Perfect PL'ing, as long as the meaning is right. Example: She slid slowly down the hill is OK, even if the text says She slowly slid down the hill. It's not OK to say He slid slowly down the hill, or She ran slowly up the hill!!! :shock:

The rest of the stuff to look out for is correct Intro and Outro, stumbles, repeats, long pauses, missing text. See link in First Post for the full list.

I didn't know how to pronounce Filene Brothers and Filene Department Stores, and couldn't find the pronunciation anywhere online, but I kept it consistent! Maybe consistently wrong! :lol: Lemme know if you know what it should be.

And ask questions as you go along. We need PL'ers and I'm anxious and ready to coach you.
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

PL Notes for Section 13, Labour

Hi Michele, this is my first PL gig, so your advice was helpful. Thanks!

This was a long section, indeed. I really enjoyed how you were able to smoothly followthrough the ends of your sentences, which gives the impression that you have plenty of air left, you're not rushing, and you have a pleasant musicality to your voice. Nice work!

Also, you provided some nice examples of how to handle footnotes and quotes. :clap:

As for word errors, you didn't have any semantic slips of significance. There were a few places where you modernized the language but didn't change the meaning of the text, such as, "He was once [a] slave," where you added an indefinite article.

Three Suggested Changes (easy ones)

Though the mp3 file validated using the Checker software, there are a couple of easily-fixed technical issues that detract from your excellent Section read.

1. 13:58 -- There is a pop from a rough edit at this point. This could be fixed by replacing with a clip of clean room tone (see next note)

2. 36:00 -- At this point, the recording was started again and it sounds like an airconditioner kicked on in the background and remains on to the end of the recording. Fortunately, you had the five seconds at the end of the recording which features that hum. A couple of seconds of the sound at the end can be profiled and removed with the Noise Removal plug-in from Audacity.

3. I was curious about how to pronounce Filene's as well. Because you asked, I found it! It's "File - eens." Here's an advertisement featuring the pronunciation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQx18eHvSro

This volunteer opportunity was really helpful for a newbie like me. Thanks for asking. Would you like me to check it again after you make any changes?

Thanks,

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

tomlearningguy wrote: September 24th, 2020, 1:01 pm PL Notes for Section 13, Labour

Would you like me to check it again after you make any changes?
m
Yes, "spot PL" is part of the job, and you post PL OK when everything checks out! But you don't get to/have to mark the MW (Magic Window/Section Compiler) unless you are DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) for a whole project. To volunteer as a DPL, you go to any Readers Wanted forum and look for ~ in front of the book title. If you think you'd like to listen to the whole book and PL it as you go, and you have the time to do it promptly (within a few days per file), post your willingness to that project and see if the BC (Book Coordinator) will accept you. They usually will, unless they've already chosen someone but forgotten to notate it. Some BC's stick with one DPL for all their projects due to an especially good rapport. I like your thoroughness and friendly chat, so you can PL me anytime! WARNING! I am sometimes an indefinite article!

Here's the corrected file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_13_carnegie_128kb.mp3

I fixed the Noise reduction issue, and removed one second off the 3 second pause (which was too long and I don't know how these escaped my PL review).
I fixed the pop.
Feline, which appears at 30:55, 32:40, 33:00, are repaired. (Fortunately I had already notated those places, in case I could change them.) Great catch, there! Thanks for making me sound more knowledgeable than I really am. :D

Now tell your peeps to hush up. You got some recording to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Section 11 PL OK. :thumbs:

Michele, the file sounds great. Nice work! And I'll do my best to find a quiet recording time. Looks like it might be 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Best,

Tom
tomlearningguy

Post by tomlearningguy »

Section 12 is uploaded and ready for proof listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_12_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Thanks for listening and feedback, Michele.

Best,

Tom