LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 1 PL OK :clap:
Chapter 3 PL OK
Chapter 16 - repeat at 3:10

Chapter 21 PL OK
Chapter 22 PL OK :clap: :clap:
Just one fix on chapter 16.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Thanks for the feedback Lynda. I appreciate it a lot. :)
clionawoodbyrne

Post by clionawoodbyrne »

philchenevert wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 6:35 am
clionawoodbyrne wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 6:25 am Hi Phil

What a charming project.

I would like to claim section 11 How Little Mayrie Became Frightened please, if it is still available.
Cliona
Hi and welcome Cliona! Section 11 is all yours to enjoy. Oh, and Fiona, the LV Penguin wants to welcome you to LibriVox too. Image
Hi Phil
I just love your Penguin.

This is my recording for Section 11. It is 8m:46s long

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lifeandadventuresofsantaclaus_06_baum_128kb.mp3)_.mp3

I really enjoyed this project. Thank you.

Cliona
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Phil

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lifeandadventuresofsantaclaus_06_baum_128kb.mp3)_.mp3

Cliona
Grat. Our other penguin Ignatius, the Penguin of Happiness Image will put this into the Magic Window for proof listening.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I have finished:

18 How the First Stockings Were Hung by the Chimneys

It is now ready for your expert review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lifeandadventuresofsantaclaus_18_baum_128kb.mp3
11:44

Thanks,

M
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mleigh wrote: September 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm I have finished:

18 How the First Stockings Were Hung by the Chimneys

It is now ready for your expert review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/lifeandadventuresofsantaclaus_18_baum_128kb.mp3
11:44
Thanks,
M
I will put this into the magic window for proof listening. Thanks.
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Hi Lynda. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just re-record this section, just this once?
I'm having a lot of trouble editing. :/
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Kristine1990 wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:22 pm Hi Lynda. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just re-record this section, just this once?
Before I say yes, can you please tell me what the problems are that you are having doing the edits? Is there something I can help you with or give you some tips on?

Lynda
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kristine1990 wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:22 pm Hi Lynda. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just re-record this section, just this once?
As Lynda said, please tell us more about w hat is going on. We will be discussing our editing techniques and problems this Saturday in Zoom. If you are using Audacity, have you watched my astounding videos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Hi Lynda and Phil. Thank you both for getting back to me. I just find editing hard, as I haven't done much of it. I find it hard to clip the right parts. And Phil, I have seen your videos. They have been a big help ☺️
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kristine1990 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 12:11 pm Hi Lynda and Phil. Thank you both for getting back to me. I just find editing hard, as I haven't done much of it. I find it hard to clip the right parts. And Phil, I have seen your videos. They have been a big help ☺️
Patience Kristine is very important. And slow practice. This is a skill like any other you have learned and it just takes time and repetition. So be patient with yourself please. If some part is particularly difficult, I can make a video of me doing it and send it just to you.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Kristine1990 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 12:11 pm Hi Lynda and Phil. Thank you both for getting back to me. I just find editing hard, as I haven't done much of it. I find it hard to clip the right parts. And Phil, I have seen your videos. They have been a big help ☺️
Okay Kristine - I am fine with you re-recording it as most of the feedback required editing. I am though going to give you some thoughts (as I have a few minutes) on editing and how I do it in case it helps you in the future. I (blushing) have not watched Phil's videos in a while so some of this might be a repeat or different than what he says...

1. Always make your recording larger using the + and - buttons that are in a magnifying glass in Audacity. I magnify when doing corrections so that they recording shows 1.0 then the mark for .5 seconds and then 2.0. On my laptop display they are about an inch wide between the 1.0 and 2.0.
2. Then I scroll to where I need to make the edit - whether it is to delete something or to replace it.
3. Delete is quite simple - just highlight what needs to be deleted (you can also play a highlighted area to make sure it is the correct item highlighted) and then press the delete key on your keyboard and poof it is gone! If you did it by mistake there is always the undo button which is the curved arrows to the left of the magnifying glasses.
4. This is what I need to do when I need to correct a word or add something into a recording - I open a new Audacity window - so you will have 2 open now. I look at the PL feedback and record the word(s) that need to be replaced. So for example for you there is a sentence missing. Record that sentence. Now highlight that sentence in the window and either Ctrl C (which copies) or select the Edit Copy menu items. Now on the Audacity window with your original recording to be fixed, scroll to the spot I told you that the sentence was missing. In this case you are going to insert the new sentence. Make sure you are in the correct place by listening to the end of the previous sentence compared to the text and then click with your mouse where you want to put it and then Ctrl V or go to Edit Paste menu items. Voila! You now have inserted the missing sentence! Listen to what you inserted from just before to just after and make sure it is correct. Now you can close the extra Audacity window if everything is good.
5. The last thing you need to learn is to replace words when you said an incorrect word or pronunciation. Follow what you did in item 4 with regards to opening a new Audacity window and recording the word(s) that you need to correct and copy. Now go to your Audacity window with your original recording and find the word(s) that need replacement and highlight them. Listen to make sure you go the right words. You can use the + magnifying glass to expand the recording to ensure you get exactly what you need to replace. Once you are happy you have highlighted the correct section then Ctrl V or Edit Paste and the incorrect highlighted area will be replaced. Now listen to the area before and after to ensure that it sounds fine and if so close your extra Audacity window.
6. One tip that I have for number 6 - so lets say I said you are missing the word "jumped" in the sentence "the dog jumped over the fence". I find it is better to re-record a natural set of words (like a series of words - not necessarily a whole sentence) that surround the missing or word that needs to be changed instead of in this case just "jumped". Because you are re-recording the word at a different time it can sound a bit choppy so if you record a set of words it often fits better into the general recording that you have done.

After all of this, make sure your recording is at the correct sound level, you have between .5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end. If you need to add silence onto the end, you can do that in Audacity however my tip is just to highlight a section of silence and Copy and then put your cursor in the area that needs more silence and select Paste. Sometimes you need to do this a couple of times to get to the 5 seconds at the end if you cut the recording off too soon when doing the original recording.

I hope this helps you!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Phil -

Chapter 16 is ready for Spot PL.

It is in the MW already.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

clionawoodbyrne wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:17 am
philchenevert wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 6:35 am
clionawoodbyrne wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 6:25 am Hi Phil

What a charming project.

I would like to claim section 11 How Little Mayrie Became Frightened please, if it is still available.
Cliona
Hi and welcome Cliona! Section 11 is all yours to enjoy. Oh, and Fiona, the LV Penguin wants to welcome you to LibriVox too. Image
Hi Phil

Cliona
Hey Phil and friends -

This should be Section 11 not 6. It has over written Section 6 so when I download Section 11 to PL it is giving me Section 6 recorded by another reader....

Can you please fix this Phil?

Lynda
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Thanks for your feedback Phil and Lynda. You're both awesome!