[Complete] The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism by Clayton Hamilton - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Owlivia
Posts: 351
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » August 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm

OooThatsNifty wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 7:52 am

Thanks again for pitching in on this one, VocalPenguin - and for validating my decision to step back from PL duties for now. I listened through the whole file twice...caught a few of the repeats, but wasn't nearly astute enough to notice all of them, or identify the underlying issue :oops:. Nicely done!
Yes, another Hoot of Approval for Penguinini !

And, about my request to record section 16: Dramatic Literature and Theatric Journalism, may I?

Owlivia/Deborah

Owlivia
Posts: 351
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » August 19th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Also, Thank You to Colleen and Lynnet for the info and encouragement regarding PL'ing.
:thumbs:

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 19th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Now that there's nothing left for me to PL, I moved on to my own chapters, so here's the shortest chapter so far:

Chapter 7, with a duration of 10:38: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 19th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Owlivia wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm

And, about my request to record section 16: Dramatic Literature and Theatric Journalism, may I?

Owlivia/Deborah
You most certainly may! My apologies, must have missed that request in all the PL excitement.

And VocalPenguin - thanks again! Chapter 7 has been added to the MW, and is ready for PL.
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 20th, 2020, 8:54 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Chapter 6, with a duration of 25:51: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_06_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Despite my personal reservations about the PL gig, I really wouldn't feel right leaving you waiting on this one any longer, particularly after your coming to the rescue on Section 2. So I've buckled down & given this a third full listen.

The main reason that I didn't give you these notes after my first pass at it was that I wasn't confident in making the judgement call over whether or not these incredibly minor bits were worth noting at all, or whether noting them would be considered too strict for a "standard" level PL. I wouldn't consider either of them distracting. That said, I feel like they're both easy fixes, and so I note them regardless:

3:17 - Typically pronounced Cry-Ton, rather than Critch-Ton. I agonized over this one a bit, but found a trailer on YouTube for a film version of the play referenced, which backs up the "Cry-Ton" pronunciation.
3:42 - A small click can be heard

Otherwise, this chapter is bang on. Well done.

If a more experienced PL-person feels like I'm being too strict here, please let me know and I'll happily mark this PL OK as is :)
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21611
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 20th, 2020, 9:10 am

OooThatsNifty wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 8:54 am
VocalPenguin wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Chapter 6, with a duration of 25:51: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_06_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Despite my personal reservations about the PL gig, I really wouldn't feel right leaving you waiting on this one any longer, particularly after your coming to the rescue on Section 2. So I've buckled down & given this a third full listen.

The main reason that I didn't give you these notes after my first pass at it was that I wasn't confident in making the judgement call over whether or not these incredibly minor bits were worth noting at all, or whether noting them would be considered too strict for a "standard" level PL. I wouldn't consider either of them distracting. That said, I feel like they're both easy fixes, and so I note them regardless:

3:17 - Typically pronounced Cry-Ton, rather than Critch-Ton. I agonized over this one a bit, but found a trailer on YouTube for a film version of the play referenced, which backs up the "Cry-Ton" pronunciation.
3:42 - A small click can be heard

Otherwise, this chapter is bang on. Well done.

If a more experienced PL-person feels like I'm being too strict here, please let me know and I'll happily mark this PL OK as is :)
Stepping in here... at LV we don't comment on pronunciation unless it changes the meaning of the word. My personal view is that we should make the effort with names, but that isn't the policy.
Occasional slight clicks are OK... we usually just alert the reader so they can try to avoid them. If there are a lot that interfere with listening enjoyment, that's a different matter.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 7 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 5 sections remaining
The Religious Experience of the Roman People 2 sections remaining
Zarah the Cruel 3 sections remaining

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 20th, 2020, 9:13 am

Lynnet wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 9:10 am
Stepping in here... at LV we don't comment on pronunciation unless it changes the meaning of the word. My personal view is that we should make the effort with names, but that isn't the policy.
Occasional slight clicks are OK... we usually just alert the reader so they can try to avoid them. If there are a lot that interfere with listening enjoyment, that's a different matter.
Copy that! Thanks for stepping in.

VocalPenguin - feel free to disregard my notes entirely. Chapter 6 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 20th, 2020, 9:44 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 1:13 pm
Now that there's nothing left for me to PL, I moved on to my own chapters, so here's the shortest chapter so far:

Chapter 7, with a duration of 10:38: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_07_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Decided to tackle this one for you as well, while I was already in somewhat of a PL headspace.

After giving it two full listens & following along with the text - which I know is major overkill for a standard PL, but it helps me focus & generally makes me feel a bit more confident about the whole PL thing - I've got no notes for you whatsoever.

Chapter 7 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

OooThatsNifty wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 9:13 am
Copy that! Thanks for stepping in.

VocalPenguin - feel free to disregard my notes entirely. Chapter 6 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Awesome! Now nearly 20% of the book is PL OK, if you go off of the word counts. (And even more now that you PL'd chapter 7 while I was writing this! Thanks! :D )

I'll keep the pronunciation of Crichton in mind if I come across him in future chapters. I'm sure that's not the only name I mispronounced in chapter 6, given the sheer volume of author names, actor names, play names, etc., in many different languages. :lol:

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 22nd, 2020, 2:37 pm

Another quick BC update: turns out I'm heading off on a bit of an impromptu wilderness adventure from tomorrow morning through Thursday, and I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of cell service / data.

Not heading anywhere overly remote, plus staying at a campsite with an electrical hookup, so I should still be able to pop my head in at least once a day to answer questions / update the MW, etc...but it is a little bit off the beaten path, so the internet might not be super reliable. Fairly certain it won't be an issue at all, but wanted to give you folks a heads up on the off chance that I do end up going AWOL for a couple days.

Thanks for all the hard work so far! :D

EDIT - False alarm, service at the campsite is A-OK. I'll be checking in just as obsessively as ever :wink: . Won't be able to do any PLing until Friday, if anything comes in - but I've got full access to the forum, MW, etc.
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

ADKreader1122
Posts: 582
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

Post by ADKreader1122 » August 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm

To OooThatsNifty,
I would be interested and available to pick up the DPL duties for this project if the position is still open.

Thanks for letting me know,
Lora

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12286
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » August 25th, 2020, 3:08 pm

May I also read sections 3, 10, and 15?

Thanks, Todd

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 25th, 2020, 3:23 pm


VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 25th, 2020, 3:42 pm

May I also read chapters 12 and 17?

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 25th, 2020, 5:09 pm

ADKreader1122 wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm
To OooThatsNifty,
I would be interested and available to pick up the DPL duties for this project if the position is still open. 

Thanks for letting me know,
Lora
Hi Lora! If you're willing to join us, that would be wonderful! Thank you!
ToddHW wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 3:08 pm
May I also read sections 3, 10, and 15?

Thanks, Todd
Absolutely! Thanks Todd!
VocalPenguin wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Chapter 8, with a duration of 27:01: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_08_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Excellent, thank you! Added to the MW, ready for PL.
VocalPenguin wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 3:42 pm
May I also read chapters 12 and 17?
Consider them yours, VocalPenguin! Much appreciated!

And just like that, we are fully subscribed! Thanks folks! This is shaping up quite nicely already :mrgreen:
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

Post Reply