[Complete] The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism by Clayton Hamilton - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm


OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Chapter 6, with a duration of 25:51: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_06_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Thanks very much!

This turned into a crazier weekend than expected (you'd think I had a show opening this week or something...) but I will PL your chapter & Owlivia's ASAP.
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 17th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Okay folks - here's another update from your friendly first timer BC / DPL.

I feel that committing to serve as both BC and DPL for this project may have been biting off a tad more that I'd ought to chew.

If anyone is interested, I would love to get a more experienced DPL on board...I gave it the old college try with both files submitted so far, and while you both sound wonderful, I'm far too distracted and neurotic to feel confident in that particular skill-set right at the present moment. Plus, I launched the project when I did as I expected to have all kinds of downtime over the next week or two - but you know what they say about the best laid plans...

I've added a tilde to the subject line & posted in Listeners Wanted in hopes of attracting a kind soul to lend a hand. If we don't find any takers I will be sure to buckle down and complete the PL tasks in the meantime - but I'm afraid there may be more of a delay than originally intended. Alternatively, if anyone would be interested in just PL-ing a section or two rather than committing to DPL, that would also be a big help.

Thanks for bearing with me, friends.

In the immortal words of Jake the Dog - “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.” I'm definitely still on that first step when it comes to PL work :wink:
Last edited by OooThatsNifty on August 18th, 2020, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 18th, 2020, 8:10 am

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, though I suppose it's fair to have a life outside of just BC/DPL. :lol:

I can PL for Owlivia's Chapter 2 if that works for you. It should wait until I have had a chapter PL'd though, since this is my first time doing a chapter (though not my first LibriVox recording) and thus nobody has yet verified that I understand what is required. I'll post chapter 7 tonight or tomorrow, which will be <15 minutes and thus easier for somebody to PL.

Also, the magic window should probably be updated, since it still lists you as DPL, and that may scare away potential listeners who think that all PL opportunities are taken.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21614
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

DPL removed (only the MC can do that)

Please be sure to read the proof listening FAQs.
Bear in mind some DPLS never record a section... proof listening is all they do 8-)
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 7 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 5 sections remaining
The Religious Experience of the Roman People 2 sections remaining

ColleenMc
Posts: 1768
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » August 18th, 2020, 9:10 am

I'd like to claim section 4 please!

Also I'm not quite ready to take on a full DPL commitment at this point as I have several on my plate, but I can pitch in with individual chapters unless/until you have a new DPL.

Colleen

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 18th, 2020, 12:29 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 8:10 am
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, though I suppose it's fair to have a life outside of just BC/DPL. :lol:

I can PL for Owlivia's Chapter 2 if that works for you. It should wait until I have had a chapter PL'd though, since this is my first time doing a chapter (though not my first LibriVox recording) and thus nobody has yet verified that I understand what is required. I'll post chapter 7 tonight or tomorrow, which will be <15 minutes and thus easier for somebody to PL.

Also, the magic window should probably be updated, since it still lists you as DPL, and that may scare away potential listeners who think that all PL opportunities are taken.
If you're willing & think you're ready to PL, that would be lovely if you could take a look at Owlivia's. It's an interesting chapter, and well read :)

As Lynnet suggested, don't forget to read through the relevant FAQs. And even though I don't feel comfortable doing the whole thing myself, if there are any potential issues that you're not sure about, I'd be happy to give a second opinion.
ColleenMc wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 9:10 am
I'd like to claim section 4 please!

Also I'm not quite ready to take on a full DPL commitment at this point as I have several on my plate, but I can pitch in with individual chapters unless/until you have a new DPL.

Colleen
Consider it claimed! Thank you!

And if you're up to tackling a chapter or two as PL that would be very much appreciated. Thanks for that as well!

What a wonderfully supportive community we have around here. You guys are warming my cold spooky little heart :9:
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

Owlivia
Posts: 351
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » August 18th, 2020, 12:55 pm

OooThatsNifty wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:00 pm
Okay folks - here's another update from your friendly first timer BC / DPL.

I feel that committing to serve as both BC and DPL for this project may have been biting off a tad more that I'd ought to chew.

If anyone is interested, I would love to get a more experienced DPL on board...I gave it the old college try with both files submitted so far, and while you both sound wonderful, I'm far too distracted and neurotic to feel confident in that particular skill-set right at the present moment. Plus, I launched the project when I did as I expected to have all kinds of downtime over the next week or two - but you know what they say about the best laid plans...

I've added a tilde to the subject line & posted in Listeners Wanted in hopes of attracting a kind soul to lend a hand. If we don't find any takers I will be sure to buckle down and complete the PL tasks in the meantime - but I'm afraid there may be more of a delay than originally intended. Alternatively, if anyone would be interested in just PL-ing a section or two rather than committing to DPL, that would also be a big help.

Thanks for bearing with me, friends.

In the immortal words of Jake the Dog - “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.” I'm definitely still on that first step when it comes to PL work :wink:
<voice of Capt. Renault from Casablanca> "I'm shocked, SHOCKED to learn that people have lives outside of LibriVox!"

I'm getting braver in the Land of Librivox, and will look into the requirments of PL-ing.

In the meantime, may I claim Section 16: Dramatic Literature and Theatric Journalism, please?

All in good time.
You can't rush perfection.
It is what it is.
/platitudes end. :mrgreen:

:thumbs:
best,
Owlivia/Deborah

ColleenMc
Posts: 1768
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » August 18th, 2020, 1:12 pm

I started PLing last year and it’s not too difficult. It’s harder when the request is for word perfect, because then you have to follow closely with the text and note every deviation. But it’s rare that that is requested...I’ve only seen it in sacred texts or legal texts where it’s very important.

Otherwise you can follow along the text but don’t have to worry about small deviations that don’t substantially change the meaning. Mainly you are watching for hiccups in reading, repeated phrases, too long silences, and checking that the correct text is read at beginning and end, and correct amount of silence left. When I was first doing it I would concentrate hard and follow exactly along with the text. Now that I’m more accustomed to it, I keep the text open in one window and glance at it every page or so to see what the gist of what is coming up next is like, and to compare if something strikes my ear oddly. I keep a notebook handy to write down the time stamp of any corrections, and I download the file and run it through checker to make sure it passes. Then I just listen to it while I do electronic jigsaws or sudoku in another window.

You can do it!

Colleen

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21614
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » August 18th, 2020, 3:22 pm

For standard PL, you don’t follow the text 8-) Just refer to it if you can’t understand something, or you think there is an error (eg the reader sipped a line)
Word Perfect is usually for:
Religious texts
Shakespeare
Poetry

There are a couple of BCs who like WP... you’ll learn who they are and decide whether or not to work with them :wink:
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 7 sections remaining
Castle of Twilight 5 sections remaining
The Religious Experience of the Roman People 2 sections remaining

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Owlivia wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Wow. Fascinating! Thanks for letting me do this one. :)

Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

run time: 44:10

Owlivia/Deborah
Hi Owlivia,

I have listened to this section, and it sounds great! Your reading style is very clear and easy to follow. There were a few small things I noticed though. I apologize for the size of this list, but don't worry, many of the issues should be small and easy to fix, and most boil down to a single issue.

First off, You say "Part 1" (0:26) and "Part 2" (5:17), but "Section 3" (31:25) and "Section 4" (42:43). Either one is fine, but they should either all be "Parts" or all be "Sections".

Also, a couple of mistakes in the form of:
7:50: Should be Ferdinand Brunetière instead of Frederick Brunetière.
14:47: Mme. is short for "Madame", not "Mademoiselle".

And finally, it seems like there's an unedited section in the middle, where multiple takes of several lines made it into your finished file. Specifically:
17:16: "For the French system..." is repeated.
17:35-17:53: "Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." - various sections of this line are repeated.
19:35: "That any" is repeated in "...that any adequate play whose motive is self-sacrifice is almost certain to succeed"
19:42-19:53: "Even when the self-sacrifice is unwise and ignoble" - various sections of this line are repeated.
21:21-21:37: "They cannot succeed when they run counter to inherited ideas" - various sections of this line are repeated.
21:40: "Like Molière" is repeated.
22:01: "Through the instinct" is repeated.
22:33-22:43: "Without ever bothering to wonder if these things might be improved" is repeated.
23:18: "Let him set it forth" is repeated.
23:41: "This point is admirably illustrated" is repeated.
23:52-23:57: "Mr. Charles Rann Kennedy" is repeated.
24:23-24:30: "Of the popularly current thoughts" is repeated.
24:55: "Mr. Thomas has himself explained" is repeated.
25:03: "That he postponed" is repeated.
25:18-25:25: "And would undoubtedly have failed" is repeated.
25:28: "But resumptive" is repeated.
25:35: "For one of the surest ways" is repeated.
25:49: "The dramatist should be" is repeated.
26:02: There is a cough between paragraphs here which should be edited out.
26:09-26:17: "It will be mainly because" is repeated.
26:26-26:34: "That thought is in itself a dynamic force" is repeated.
26:37: "Is, as I have just explained" is repeated.
26:46: "It is a theme which dates itself" is repeated.
26:57-27:26: "Namely, that when discordant human beings ascend to meet each other in the spirit of brotherly love it may truly be said that God is resident among them" is repeated.
27:39: "A passing period of popular thought" is repeated.
27:47-27:53: "And has built his play" is repeated.
27:58: "The very reason why" is repeated.
28:19: "Are striving to use" is repeated.
28:23: "Especially in regard" is repeated.
28:31: "They are mistaking the scope" is repeated.
28:48: "Of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche" is repeated.
28:54-29:01: "From whom the playwright borrowed his ideas" is repeated.
29:12: "In spite of his unfathomable intellect" is repeated.
29:34: "Surely it is a good thing for the public" is repeated.
29:56: "Molière merely perfected" is repeated.
30:02: "That his public long had known" is repeated.
34:07: "That of Spain" is repeated.

Once again I apologize for the size of this post, but I hope having all of the timestamps will be more useful than a short post would be.

VocalPenguin

ColleenMc
Posts: 1768
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » August 18th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Lynnet wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:22 pm
For standard PL, you don’t follow the text 8-) Just refer to it if you can’t understand something, or you think there is an error (eg the reader sipped a line)
Word Perfect is usually for:
Religious texts
Shakespeare
Poetry

There are a couple of BCs who like WP... you’ll learn who they are and decide whether or not to work with them :wink:
Yeah I should have added that following the text for not-word-perfect is totally something I do and that I find helpful, NOT a requirement--I have ADHD and I have to walk a fine line between doing something else to keep from getting bored (doing puzzles and listening), and losing complete track and realizing I didn't hear the last 10 minutes and having to start over. When I have to bring my focus back, following along with the text helps me get my bearings and making myself read along for a bit gets my brain re-engaged with the listening rather than whatever was distracting me. DEFINITELY not something everyone needs to do.

It is handy to have the text nearby, though, so you can do a quick check --was that repeated phrase supposed to be there? Did this sentence not make sense to me because a word was inadvertently changed or dropped, or just because 19th century prose gets really thick sometimes? -- before deciding that something needs to be noted for changes.

But I also tend to make things more complicated for myself than they actually had to be. Then I figure out "shortcuts" and am all pleased with myself, only to find out that that was the way everyone did it all along. :roll: As my wife likes to tell me (USUALLY affectionately, sometimes with exasperation), my brain is a wonderland....

Colleen

Owlivia
Posts: 351
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » August 18th, 2020, 7:04 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Owlivia wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Wow. Fascinating! Thanks for letting me do this one. :)

Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

run time: 44:10

Owlivia/Deborah
Hi Owlivia,

I have listened to this section, and it sounds great! Your reading style is very clear and easy to follow. There were a few small things I noticed though. I apologize for the size of this list, but don't worry, many of the issues should be small and easy to fix, and most boil down to a single issue.

First off, You say "Part 1" (0:26) and "Part 2" (5:17), but "Section 3" (31:25) and "Section 4" (42:43). Either one is fine, but they should either all be "Parts" or all be "Sections".

Also, a couple of mistakes in the form of:
7:50: Should be Ferdinand Brunetière instead of Frederick Brunetière.
14:47: Mme. is short for "Madame", not "Mademoiselle".

And finally, it seems like there's an unedited section in the middle, where multiple takes of several lines made it into your finished file. Specifically:
nce again I apologize for the size of this post, but I hope having all of the timestamps will be more useful than a short post would be.

VocalPenguin
Pengie, you nailed it with your comment on the "unedited section" - it wasn't the "finished product" I thought I had filed, which was safely stowed somewhere in the bowels (intestines, gizzards, ....) of my files. Thank goodness I didn't overwrite it. :shock:

Anyhow, here's the right file, with the corrections as you noted for Monsieur Brunetiere and the Divine Sarah, and all subdivisions are now described as "Part 'x'."
and to save you a re-listen to the entire part, the section that is now in place runs from 17:06 - 28:24

Thank you BUNCHES for saving me from that first-run-through less-than-sterling recording. SORRY that you had to endure it. gawk.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

new run time: 42:13

respect,
Owlivia /Deborah

VocalPenguin
Posts: 80
Joined: March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Post by VocalPenguin » August 19th, 2020, 7:12 am

Owlivia wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 7:04 pm
Pengie, you nailed it with your comment on the "unedited section" - it wasn't the "finished product" I thought I had filed, which was safely stowed somewhere in the bowels (intestines, gizzards, ....) of my files. Thank goodness I didn't overwrite it. :shock:

Anyhow, here's the right file, with the corrections as you noted for Monsieur Brunetiere and the Divine Sarah, and all subdivisions are now described as "Part 'x'."
and to save you a re-listen to the entire part, the section that is now in place runs from 17:06 - 28:24

Thank you BUNCHES for saving me from that first-run-through less-than-sterling recording. SORRY that you had to endure it. gawk.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/theoryofthetheatre_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3

new run time: 42:13

respect,
Owlivia /Deborah
I figured it would be something that simple. I'm glad to hear that the proper finished product was still somewhere in your filesystem's digestive tract!

With this new upload, chapter 2 sounds great, and it's now PL OK :thumbs:
(I don't know if there's anything else I'm supposed to do to mark it as such, or if I'm just supposed to wait for Lynnet or Nifty to do that)

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 272
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » August 19th, 2020, 7:52 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 7:12 am
I figured it would be something that simple. I'm glad to hear that the proper finished product was still somewhere in your filesystem's digestive tract!

With this new upload, chapter 2 sounds great, and it's now PL OK :thumbs:
(I don't know if there's anything else I'm supposed to do to mark it as such, or if I'm just supposed to wait for Lynnet or Nifty to do that)
A DPL would have access to the MW, but otherwise it's just the BC & MC - so, consider it updated, and congrats to you both on the first PL OK of the project! :clap:

Thanks again for pitching in on this one, VocalPenguin - and for validating my decision to step back from PL duties for now. I listened through the whole file twice...caught a few of the repeats, but wasn't nearly astute enough to notice all of them, or identify the underlying issue :oops:. Nicely done!
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

Post Reply