[COMPLETED][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 07 April 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 20th, 2020, 11:54 pm

RitaBoutros wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 9:58 am
Ok thanks Sonia, I'll take section 2, if you tell me how to pronounce the author's name :lol: I'm sure it's not geek???
actually now I found some references online that compare Geik with a different spelling of Jake...it would make sense, maybe you want to pronounce it that way. Just a thought. But it's up to you.

Sonia

RitaBoutros
Posts: 1345
Joined: June 30th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Florida

Post by RitaBoutros » July 21st, 2020, 4:18 am

Thank you!

jNaugh
Posts: 22
Joined: May 19th, 2020, 1:59 am

Post by jNaugh » July 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm

Kitty wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 9:43 am
yes the link is corrected now. Welcome to LV and to this project. I see you already passed your test and this will be your first official section :thumbs: I need to open a reader page for you, so please tell me under what reader name you want to go by. Forum name or real name or pseudonym, whatever you wish.

Section 6 is reserved for you now. Anything you need to know about the correct intro and filenaming is in the first post.

Have fun !

Sonia

That's right. Thanks for the heads up!

I'd like to go by my real name, Bhavesh Aggarwal

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm

jNaugh wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm
I'd like to go by my real name, Bhavesh Aggarwal
excellent, thank you. Here is your personal reader page, where all your projects will be listed: https://librivox.org/reader/14693

Now looking forward to your story :)

Sonia

RitaBoutros
Posts: 1345
Joined: June 30th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Florida

Post by RitaBoutros » July 23rd, 2020, 7:23 am


Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am

:shock: wow now this was one of the most serious cases of "going postal" that I ever heard about. A very interesting story (I just hope it was fiction :? ) Wonderfully narrated too, thank you so much Rita :9: And I see you opted for "Gake" now. :mrgreen:

Only one small technical correction:

> at 0:28: can you please repeat "section 2" here right before the title ?
> from 19:51-19:54: probably optional but 3 seconds feel a bit long to me before the end disclaimer, wouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't have any other edits :)

a great first submission :clap:

Sonia

RitaBoutros
Posts: 1345
Joined: June 30th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Florida

Post by RitaBoutros » July 23rd, 2020, 8:56 am

Here's the corrected 2:


https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_02_various_128kb.mp3
20:01

This was fun! Let me know when you're putting up another Black Cat.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 23rd, 2020, 10:27 am

RitaBoutros wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 8:56 am
Here's the corrected 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_02_various_128kb.mp3
This was fun! Let me know when you're putting up another Black Cat.
thank you, now PL ok. And yes, I am so happy I found this magazine, so many great original stories by largely unknown writers. :9:

I usually start the next issue once I'm down to one section left in the current one. So stay bookmarked on this thread because I will announce here when I launched the next one. It's crucial to be fast because there are only a handful of stories in each issue :lol:

Sonia

jNaugh
Posts: 22
Joined: May 19th, 2020, 1:59 am

Post by jNaugh » July 25th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Section 6


https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_6_various_128kb.mp3

32:33

I hope it isn't absolutely horrible. :D

EDIT: Thank you for setting up "my" page!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 26th, 2020, 2:15 am

hello again Bhavesh
jNaugh wrote:Section 6
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_6_various_128kb.mp3
32:33
I hope it isn't absolutely horrible. :D
thank you so much for this fast turn-around. And congrats for tackling and doing so nicely such a long section for your first recording. :thumbs: It is absolutely NOT horrible at all, in fact I enjoyed the story and your narration very much. It already started with this great Texas accent (well at least it sounded Texan to my untrained ear) you put on in the first letter. :mrgreen: Excellent. Are you from the area maybe ? In any case, it was a nce touch.

I have a few small correction notes to write up, but it's mainly concerning some lengthy breaks in your recording, especially between the letters. You know, for a listener, anything over 2 seconds of silence really feels like a long time, one easily gets "thrown out" of the story, so I would suggest keeping pauses, even between paragraphs, to maximum 1.5, or at least under 2 seconds.

I'll point out the parts where you can make the cuts, it's quite easily done. The best thing is to start cutting at the END and work your way up front, that way the time stamps stay the same ;)

> from 0:00-0:02: two seconds of silence befor the intro starts feels long, we recommend not exceeding 1 second in the beginning
> from 8:04-8:06: (p. 41) between "1892" and "dear Fax"
> from 9:40-9:42: (p. 42) between "last two years" and "Three"
> from 10:02-10:04: (p. 42) between "collect" and "Four"
> from 21:25-21:29: (p. 46) between "your dejected Polly" and "Five"
> from 26:18-26:20: (p. 48) between "to say that" and "Six"
> from 28:09-28:12: (p. 48) between "well" and "Seven"
> from 32:07-32:10: between "amen" and the end disclaimer
> from 32:12-32:17: "End of Section 6" - no need to repeat "of the Black Cat....etc" here at this point. But it's excellent that you remembered to make the final project disclaimer, since this is the last section of the magazine :thumbs:

Apart from that, I have 4 small textual corrections to add, which change the meaning of the sentence. Now please, editing is really easy and essential, so it's best you practice it from the start. Please don't re-record it all again, because that is too much work for such a long text. I say this because we've had new readers who recorded it all again only for 2 small errors. :? I would not want you to go through all this trouble.

Do you use Audacity ? The easiest way is: to record the wrong sentence correctly again in a new window. Then noise clean and amplify as you need so it sounds a bit like the old recording. Then highlight this part and copy/paste it over the wrong sentence in the masterfile. If you have any questions still, please ask away :)

> at 0:41: (p. 39) "to the reverend Arthur Selbourne - you say "revenant", which is a bit of a different thing ;) made me smile
> at 9:44: (p. 42) "of the reverend Arthur Selbourne" - same here
> at 15:03: (p. 44) "and that Lennox told Nannie himself" - you say "herself", but Lennox is a man
> at 31:37: (p. 50) "the reverend Arthur Selbourne" - and again, you were lucky the good reverend wasn't mentioned more often :mrgreen:

So as I said, it's enough if you re-record these 4 sentences and paste them to the correct spots.

That's all. Please reupload with the exact same file name, that way the old file gets replaced by the new one in the Magic Window (MW).

It's a wonderful debut and I hope to hear many more stories from you (maybe even in the next Black Cat). I hope you liked the recording process (it definitely sounds like it).

thank you

Sonia

jNaugh
Posts: 22
Joined: May 19th, 2020, 1:59 am

Post by jNaugh » July 26th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Kitty wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 2:15 am
hello again Bhavesh

thank you so much for this fast turn-around. And congrats for tackling and doing so nicely such a long section for your first recording. :thumbs: It is absolutely NOT horrible at all, in fact I enjoyed the story and your narration very much. It already started with this great Texas accent (well at least it sounded Texan to my untrained ear) you put on in the first letter. :mrgreen: Excellent. Are you from the area maybe ? In any case, it was a nce touch.

I have a few small correction notes to write up, but it's mainly concerning some lengthy breaks in your recording, especially between the letters. You know, for a listener, anything over 2 seconds of silence really feels like a long time, one easily gets "thrown out" of the story, so I would suggest keeping pauses, even between paragraphs, to maximum 1.5, or at least under 2 seconds.

I'll point out the parts where you can make the cuts, it's quite easily done. The best thing is to start cutting at the END and work your way up front, that way the time stamps stay the same ;)

> from 0:00-0:02: two seconds of silence befor the intro starts feels long, we recommend not exceeding 1 second in the beginning
> from 8:04-8:06: (p. 41) between "1892" and "dear Fax"
> from 9:40-9:42: (p. 42) between "last two years" and "Three"
> from 10:02-10:04: (p. 42) between "collect" and "Four"
> from 21:25-21:29: (p. 46) between "your dejected Polly" and "Five"
> from 26:18-26:20: (p. 48) between "to say that" and "Six"
> from 28:09-28:12: (p. 48) between "well" and "Seven"
> from 32:07-32:10: between "amen" and the end disclaimer
> from 32:12-32:17: "End of Section 6" - no need to repeat "of the Black Cat....etc" here at this point. But it's excellent that you remembered to make the final project disclaimer, since this is the last section of the magazine :thumbs:

Apart from that, I have 4 small textual corrections to add, which change the meaning of the sentence. Now please, editing is really easy and essential, so it's best you practice it from the start. Please don't re-record it all again, because that is too much work for such a long text. I say this because we've had new readers who recorded it all again only for 2 small errors. :? I would not want you to go through all this trouble.

Do you use Audacity ? The easiest way is: to record the wrong sentence correctly again in a new window. Then noise clean and amplify as you need so it sounds a bit like the old recording. Then highlight this part and copy/paste it over the wrong sentence in the masterfile. If you have any questions still, please ask away :)

> at 0:41: (p. 39) "to the reverend Arthur Selbourne - you say "revenant", which is a bit of a different thing ;) made me smile
> at 9:44: (p. 42) "of the reverend Arthur Selbourne" - same here
> at 15:03: (p. 44) "and that Lennox told Nannie himself" - you say "herself", but Lennox is a man
> at 31:37: (p. 50) "the reverend Arthur Selbourne" - and again, you were lucky the good reverend wasn't mentioned more often :mrgreen:

So as I said, it's enough if you re-record these 4 sentences and paste them to the correct spots.

That's all. Please reupload with the exact same file name, that way the old file gets replaced by the new one in the Magic Window (MW).

It's a wonderful debut and I hope to hear many more stories from you (maybe even in the next Black Cat). I hope you liked the recording process (it definitely sounds like it).

thank you

Sonia

Hi Sonia!

Thanks for the feedback and all the kind words.

I'm not Texan, or even an American. I've been in the US to visit a couple times, that's it. Bern, Switzerland is my home.

This was me shooting for a "Southern gentleman" vibe without hamming it up, so I'm glad that sort of came through. Also would love to participate next time another Black Cat is up for grabs.

Also, I have no idea why I kept saying revenant, but I fixed it now. :D


Link for your convenience (new time: 32:13)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_6_various_128kb.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 27th, 2020, 1:30 am

jNaugh wrote:I'm not Texan, or even an American. I've been in the US to visit a couple times, that's it. Bern, Switzerland is my home.
oh what a surprise, I would not have guessed that. So your mothertongue is German ? If you want you can also participate in our German projects :)
Also would love to participate next time another Black Cat is up for grabs.
please stay bookmarked to this thread in that case, because once I launch the new one I will post the link here :)
thank you, excellent patches and PL ok now. Congrats on your first officially finished LV recording :clap:

Oh just one word of advice concerning the volume of your recording. Some parts are a bit clipped off because you probably spoke either too loudly into the microphone, or the input level is set too high from the start. You can probably toggle it to less loud on your mic, or maybe move away a bit from the microphone to record. Clipping, if excessive, can distort the sound so it should be avoided. If you use Audacity, you can see the clippings if you go to VIEW and tick the box SHOW CLIPPING. Then while you record your next section, look at the audiowaves and if you see red spikes appear, the audio is too loud. Then it's best to redo that sentence straight away, less loud, and cut out the loud sentence later in editing.

see you around

Sonia

jNaugh
Posts: 22
Joined: May 19th, 2020, 1:59 am

Post by jNaugh » July 30th, 2020, 10:11 am

Kitty wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:30 am
oh what a surprise, I would not have guessed that. So your mothertongue is German ? If you want you can also participate in our German projects :)
That's right, German is one of my native languages. Although I technically learned it after English, which in turn is my third language. lol
I'll definitely check out the German section too. :)
please stay bookmarked to this thread in that case, because once I launch the new one I will post the link here :)
Will do!
thank you, excellent patches and PL ok now. Congrats on your first officially finished LV recording :clap:
Thanks a ton. Everybody is so helpful and welcoming here.
Oh just one word of advice concerning the volume of your recording. Some parts are a bit clipped off because you probably spoke either too loudly into the microphone, or the input level is set too high from the start. You can probably toggle it to less loud on your mic, or maybe move away a bit from the microphone to record. Clipping, if excessive, can distort the sound so it should be avoided. If you use Audacity, you can see the clippings if you go to VIEW and tick the box SHOW CLIPPING. Then while you record your next section, look at the audiowaves and if you see red spikes appear, the audio is too loud. Then it's best to redo that sentence straight away, less loud, and cut out the loud sentence later in editing.
Duly noted.

Take care and see you soon!

Bhavesh

NarratorJ
Posts: 61
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 11:27 am

Post by NarratorJ » August 6th, 2020, 8:16 am

Section 3 - 18:53.61
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_3_various_128kb.mp3

It would certainly be nice to find myself in a similar situation ... :wink:
Thanks,
J
feedback / constructive criticism appreciated

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25220
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » August 6th, 2020, 9:57 am

NarratorJ wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:16 am
Section 3 - 18:53.61
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0107apr1896_3_various_128kb.mp3
It would certainly be nice to find myself in a similar situation ... :wink:
ooh, yes, a wonderful story, but the moment when they were visited by this mysterious man, I think my heart would have skipped a beat :shock: but in the end he turned out benevolent, so the story is to be ranked with the cosies. :lol: Excellently narrated, thank you so much, J. :9: Totally PL ok right away.

Hope to hear you again in one of the next issues ! Stay bookmarked, I'll announce when I launch the next one ;)

Sonia

Post Reply