COMPLETE [SOLO, RUSSIAN] Through the Literature by Boris Eikhenbaum-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

[SOLO, RUSSIAN] Through the Literature / Сквозь литературу by Boris Eikhenbaum (1886 - 1959).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/through-the-literature-by-boris-eikhenbaum/

Volunteers outside the USA: Boris Eikhenbaum died in 1959. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
Collection of literary studies and articles about writers and their styles by a prominent Russian literary scholar and historian of literature, Boris Eikhenbaum. He was one of the founders of the "Formal Method" in literature.
(Mark Chulsky)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://imwerden.de/publ-5895.html
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Предисловие к Книгe Бориса Эйхенбаума Сквозь литературу. Эта запись сделана для проекта ЛибриВокс. Все записи ЛибриВокс находятся в общественном достоянии. Для справок и помощи проекту пожалуйста посетите сетевую страницу librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Борис Эйхенбаум. Сквозь литературу. "

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Секция [#] книги Бориса Эйхенбаума Сквозь литературу. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Say: "[Chapter name]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "Конец Секции [#] "
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "Конец книги Сквозь литературу Бориса Эйхенбаума"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename throughtheliterature_##_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. throughtheliterature_01_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chulsky on January 16th, 2021, 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mark,
I would be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, MaryAnn! Happy to work with you again :9:
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hi Mark and Mary Ann, I'll DPL this one, thanks.
С уважением, Лена
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Lena. I've added you to the MW.
MaryAnn
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Lena! :9:
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec. 1,2 are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/throughtheliterature_01_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 [25:46]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/throughtheliterature_02_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 [20:46]

In this book, we have to be creative, esp. with footnotes, initials, and other abbreviations. Lena, please do not hesitate to voice any concerns / suggestions :)
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hi Mark,

I've listened to the first three sections today. What an awesome book! I absolutely love books about literature :9: And I love your reading, too!! :clap:

Now to the technicalities :D:

Section 0 - the recorded intro does not match the intro in the title post:
Say: "Борис Эйхенбаум. Сквозь литературу. Предисловие"
Maybe it will make sense to expand the title post. The rest is good. :thumbs:

Section 1: intro does not match the details in the title post. It should read at the end: "Державин, часть первая, вторая". Maybe it will help if the title post didn't have the highlighted bit to avoid confusion.
"Секция [#] книги Бориса Эйхенбаума Сквозь литературу. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии. [name]"

Section 2 @13:58 the beep sound is quite loud if listening through headphones. Maybe not a big deal though :)

Sections 1 and 2 - volume is 87.9 dB and 87.8 dB respectively. Should be at least 89 dB.
С уважением, Лена
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Section 0 - the recorded intro does not match the intro in the title post:
Section 1: intro does not match the details in the title post.
Thank you, Lena, for the attentive PL! :9: I edited the head post, no changes to the recordings.
Section 2 @13:58 the beep sound is quite loud if listening through headphones. Maybe not a big deal though :)
I couldn't find it :-( Is a typo in the timestamp possible? I listened to +/- 1 min around, didn't hear the beep...
Shall we sweep it under the rug, if not a big deal?
Sections 1 and 2 - volume is 87.9 dB and 87.8 dB respectively. Should be at least 89 dB.
89 dB is the ideal volume, not minimal:
"We look for an overall volume of between 87 and 91 dB, ideally 89 dB." https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Questions_and_Answers
The Checker allows 86 - 92 dB :roll:

If you agree, please change the status to PL OK, the next section should be ready soon 8-)

UPDATE:
Sec.0-2 marked Ready for Spot PL, but in fact, no changes to the recordings ...
Sec.3 is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/throughtheliterature_03_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 [22:59]
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hi Mark,
We look for an overall volume of between 87 and 91 dB, ideally 89 dB." https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Questions_and_Answers
Thanks for reminding me!! I'm still a very new DPLer :shock: :D, sorry!

If you are happy to drop "Part 1 and 2" in the intro of section 1 and leave "Part 3" in section 2, I'm happy to mark PL OK. :D
С уважением, Лена
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Lena, you are a fantastic PLer! :9: Your attention to details is phenomenal, and it is better to flag ten trivial things than to miss one serious.
Sec.4 is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/throughtheliterature_04_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 [32:57], no rush!
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hi Mark, sections 3 and 4 PL OK. There's a bit of inconsistency in the wording you are using to mark quotes. Sometimes you say "кавычки", other times - "цитата". Maybe will be worthwhile to stick to one of those across all recordings. Great job overall! :clap:
С уважением, Лена
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

LenaSukhaya wrote: August 4th, 2020, 8:13 pm Hi Mark, sections 3 and 4 PL OK. There's a bit of inconsistency in the wording you are using to mark quotes. Sometimes you say "кавычки", other times - "цитата". Maybe will be worthwhile to stick to one of those across all recordings. Great job overall! :clap:
Thank you, Lena!
Sec. 5 is up, there will be lots of quotes:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/throughtheliterature_05_eichenbaum_128kb.mp3 [30:43]

It's not easy, but I am trying to be consistent: :hmm:

1. If the quote is very short, just a word or two, I just intone it.
- 1a. If it is important to make sure the word gets understood figuratively, I say "в кавычках" before or after.
2. If the quote is longer, but short enough to get intoned in its entirety, I say "в кавычках" before or after.
3. If the quote is too long for intonation, then at the end I always say "конец цитаты". In the beginning:
- 3a. If the quote is introduced (e.g. "as he writes in his letter to X...") then I just intone the start of the quote.
- 3b. If the quote is not introduced then I say "начало цитаты". :shock:

If you find inconsistencies or something is not working right -- please note.
I think, there might be a spot when I repeat the beginning of a sentence after a footnote. I also might move a footnote to a better spot for cleaner interruption. I omit purely bibliographical footnotes. :roll:
chulsky

Post by chulsky »