COMPLETE: Two Years in Oregon by Wallis Nash -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kalamareader wrote: January 16th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Larry,

Even though I have not officially been awarded Section 19, I went ahead and recorded it. :roll: I hope all works out OK.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_18_nash_128kb.mp3
Time: 14:49
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_19_nash_128kb.mp3
Time 16:36

Wayne
Thank you for these masterfully read characterizations! I'm amazed!
All pronunciations spot on as well.

PL OK :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenno wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:19 pm Here is section 22

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_22_nash_128kb.mp3

duration 22.21

I trust I have the pronunciations correct ?

Jennifer
Thanks so much!

Well, most pronunciations are pretty close. I really should have followed through on recording a pronunciation guide.

Willamette has the accent on the second syllable in Oregon, and the Y in Yaquina is pronounced like a W. But, not to worry at all; it is an excellent recording and I appreciate your contribution. :)
~ Larry
jenno

Post by jenno »

Would you like me to correct those mispronunciations ? I did track some down and did not find a recording which used a W in place of the Y in Yaquina but I must admit I did not research Willamette

Jennifer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenno wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 1:51 am Would you like me to correct those mispronunciations ? I did track some down and did not find a recording which used a W in place of the Y in Yaquina but I must admit I did not research Willamette

Jennifer
No, not necessary at all.
I don't expect everyone to speak with an Oregon accent. :wink:
~ Larry
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

silverquill wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:14 am Well, most pronunciations are pretty close. I really should have followed through on recording a pronunciation guide.

Willamette has the accent on the second syllable in Oregon, and the Y in Yaquina is pronounced like a W. But, not to worry at all; it is an excellent recording and I appreciate your contribution. :)
Larry, I agree with Jennifer. Having lived in Oregon and Southwest Washington for the past 66 years (moved here at age 9 from Southern California), I have never heard Yaquina pronounced with a "W" at the beginning. I did some searching and here is a reference: https://www.up.edu/portland/oregon-pronunciation-guide.html

Just my input. Of course the pronunciation of Willamette is as you noted. :D

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kalamareader wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 11:45 am
silverquill wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 12:14 am Well, most pronunciations are pretty close. I really should have followed through on recording a pronunciation guide.

Larry, I agree with Jennifer. Having lived in Oregon and Southwest Washington for the past 66 years (moved here at age 9 from Southern California), I have never heard Yaquina pronounced with a "W" at the beginning. I did some searching and here is a reference: https://www.up.edu/portland/oregon-pronunciation-guide.html

Just my input. Of course the pronunciation of Willamette is as you noted. :D

Wayne
Hmmm. Interesting. Well, we've heard different things, I guess. That's why I'm not being too picky.

Interestingly we have a Coos County here in New Hampshire. But, it properly has an umlaut over the second "o" so it is CO- oss. My family is still in Coos County, and I worked in Coquille, but grew up in Umatilla County. and I just finished writing about fishing for ocean perch off the rocks at Yachats! Regional pronunciations are interesting. Here in New England we have a mix of Indian, British, and French names but they get their own twist. The company I work for is located in Peabody -- that's PEE-buddy. Living in California was confusing because I often wanted to use Spanish pronunciations, and some of the anglicanizations really sounded strange to me. Los Gatos is the one I remember. Then there was La Jolla, so there was no consistency.
~ Larry
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

Greetings,

May I take section 27, Chapter 23 Part I?

I'm excited to be reading about Oregon - I was born there! Though I confess we moved away when I was still a baby. I still have lots of extended family in the Cottage Grove area.

:)
Jen
Find me at VoiceJen.com & konsort29.blogspot.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jen0631 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:25 pm Greetings,

May I take section 27, Chapter 23 Part I?

I'm excited to be reading about Oregon - I was born there! Though I confess we moved away when I was still a baby. I still have lots of extended family in the Cottage Grove area.

:)
Jen
Thank you!

I haven't actually resided in Oregon for many years, but as I tell people, "You can take the boy out of Oregon, but you can't take Oregon out of the boy!" :lol:
~ Larry
jenno

Post by jenno »

could I perhaps have some direction on pronunciation of the following words, which I cannot locate in any dictionary on the net, before I commence my
reading of Chapter 20.

Ochico

Malheur

Prineville
Grande Ronde

Thank you
Jennifer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenno wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:29 pm could I perhaps have some direction on pronunciation of the following words, which I cannot locate in any dictionary on the net, before I commence my
reading of Chapter 20.

Ochico

Malheur

Prineville
Grande Ronde

Thank you
Jennifer
Sure.

Ochico oh-CHEE-ko

Malheur MAL-hugher - French but never give a real French sound sounds more like the man's name hugh with a as slight er on the end.

Prineville PRINE - ville (prettty much as it's spelled)

Grande Ronde - GRAND-rond (long o, but short o is also heard)

If you'd rather have an audio file, I can do that too. Not a problem.
~ Larry
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

silverquill wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:52 pm
jenno wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:29 pm could I perhaps have some direction on pronunciation of the following words, which I cannot locate in any dictionary on the net, before I commence my
reading of Chapter 20.

Ochico

Malheur

Prineville
Grande Ronde

Thank you
Jennifer
Sure.

Ochico oh-CHEE-ko

Malheur MAL-hugher - French but never give a real French sound sounds more like the man's name hugh with a as slight er on the end.

Prineville PRINE - ville (prettty much as it's spelled)

Grande Ronde - GRAND-rond (long o, but short o is also heard)

If you'd rather have an audio file, I can do that too. Not a problem.
Larry and Jenifer,

Interesting about regional pronunciations. Here in the Portland area where there is an Ochico Street, it is pronounced OH-cha-co. :hmm:

Wayne
Wayne
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

I'd like to claim section 26. My username is jonatoner. This is my first one!
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

This is my first attempt at reading. Which format would you recommend I download from Gutenberg onto my Windows 10 conputer. I tried epub which I use on my phone reading with fbreader but I have never read a book on my computer before. Thanks for your help.

Jonathan Miller - jonatoner
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jonatoner wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:10 pm This is my first attempt at reading. Which format would you recommend I download from Gutenberg onto my Windows 10 conputer. I tried epub which I use on my phone reading with fbreader but I have never read a book on my computer before. Thanks for your help.

Jonathan Miller - jonatoner
Jonathan,

In my experience, if you are going to just read off of the computer screen (which is what I do), the HTML version is the best, by far, to use (in my humble opinion).

Welcome to Librivox. :clap:

Wayne

Edit: I just listened your 1 minute test, and yes the volume is great. However there is one other thing that you might want to work on. One of the purposes of the 1 minute test is to check for 'plosives' in your reading. Those are 'popping' sounds that are produced when saying letters like "p" in a word, most often at the beginning of a word, but not always. This is a common problem with many readers. There a couple of possible solutions to this. The first is to try turning your head just a little to one side or the other so the breath coming out of your mouth doesn't hit directly on the mic. The second is to buy a "Pop Filter" (search pop filters, images to see what they look like). The kind you would probably need is the kind that stands out away from the mic, rather than one that fits directly on the mic. They aren't really expensive, a short search showed prices from under $10 to over $30. Cheap works. My whole mike setup with pop filter (usb mic) cost $19.95 and seems to work just fine. :lol:

I hope this helps make your journey with Librivox (LV) fun and enjoyable.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Larry and everyone else,

For the six or so sections left to be read, I found a website with a collection of Oregon (and Washington) names with pronunciations.

http://www.stevensauke.com/say/northwest.html

Wayne
Wayne