[COMPLETE] Entertaining Made Easy - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 18th, 2020, 11:51 am

Hi ladies -

I just PL'd the following recordings and here is their feedback -

Sections 19, 25, 28 - all PL OK
Please use the Checker which I have linked below as all of your recordings (which were excellent!) were a bit on the high side for volume. The Checker will tell you where you are in terms of volume. While the range is 86 - 92 dB (yours were between 91 and 92 dB) we aim for 89 dB so all recordings will have similar volume.

Section 26 - at 2:54 please remove "This recording is in the public domain". It is not needed at the end of the recording. Then just leave your 5 seconds of silence.
Again, excellent recording!

Section 39 -
0:015 - please start the recording between :005 and :01 - so you need to remove between .5 and 1 second of silence please
Cezka - there is some noise in the recording - like cars driving by with loud music playing. You can hear it twice during the recording - especially at about the 2:10 mark. I tried noise cleaning your recording however that did not help it. I think this recording will be okay, however it is just something you will have to watch for - ambient noise.
Again, excellent recording!
One last thing and that is please save the file with the format specified on the main page which is entertainingmadeeasy_##_burt_128kb.mp3 - the burt is the author - please do not put your name there. The ## is your section number (which you did correctly).

So for sections 26 and 39 please do the edits and then save the file using the correct file format (do not add 1 or 2 or anything like that - just the way displayed on the main page for the book, inserting your section number) and upload it to availle's queue please. Also please provide me with the length of your recording time.

Just so you know the way it works, when you upload a file with the same name, your previous one gets automatically rennamed and archived. This is so we can go back to it if needed. So there is no issue naming the file names the same - Librivox can handle it :)

Lastly, if someone has not given you ladies the Checker Tool and you are on a PC, here is something you can use to check your recordings prior to sending them in. I use it to test my recordings and then yours when I receive them for volume and noise. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html It will give you a Passed/Fail or Passed with Warnings. The last two status need to be fixed prior to submitting the files for PL.

So that is about it - all three of you did GREAT on your first recordings!

Lynda

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 18th, 2020, 11:55 am

jayscribe wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 11:25 am
Lmnei wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:37 am
jayscribe wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:33 am


Hi Lynda,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've shortened the silence at the end, and I'll remember your note about pausing for the future!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_35_burt_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_36_burt_128kb.mp3

Jay
Hi Jay - I just need the updated times for these recordings please :)

Lynda
Sorry about that! Section 35 is 1:10, and Section 36 is 3:28 :)
Hi JayScribe!

Sorry for the delay - these both are PL OK now!

Lynda

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 18th, 2020, 11:58 am

Lmnei wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Weezer - really great recordings! Thanks very much for participating! Here are some notes from my PL tonight of your recordings -

Section 4 -
- Please leave 5 whole seconds at the end of your recording

Section 12
- 1:17 to 1:20.5 - you said "Entertaining made Easy.... please remove and just say End of Section 12 like the Extro indicates.
- this one is closer :) However we do need 5 whole seconds at the end of the recording.

Section 13
- 0:17 - 0:19 - there is some noise in the background - if you cannot get rid of it please re-record that section.
- 3:30 onward - Footnotes - please read the footnotes in their appropriate places. In Librivox we say Footnote (what the footnote says) End Footnote and then carry on. Unless the BC writes something different, the footnotes should be read with the text. Please slow down a bit when reading after the Repeat so your words do not run together too much with where the Footnotes are read. No need to record the Footnotes then at the end of the section.
- Please leave 5 whole seconds at the end of the recording.

Lynda
Hi Weezer! I know you have been busy with recording for the other book - just reminding you that these corrections are still outstanding....

Lynda

Asha
Posts: 14
Joined: July 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Post by Asha » August 18th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Lmnei wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 10:25 am
Asha wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 11:40 am
Could I take section 37, An Orchard Pageant? :)
Asha - have you done your 1 minute test recording? I know I just assigned a section to you however I just realized I cannot find your test recording...

Please advise. It needs to be completed prior to recording for Librivox. It is not an audition, it just ensures you have all your technical settings correct.

Lynda
Sorry for the confusion. I just finished my 1 minute test recording. You should be able to find it now.

Asha

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Asha wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Lmnei wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 10:25 am
Asha wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 11:40 am
Could I take section 37, An Orchard Pageant? :)
Asha - have you done your 1 minute test recording? I know I just assigned a section to you however I just realized I cannot find your test recording...

Please advise. It needs to be completed prior to recording for Librivox. It is not an audition, it just ensures you have all your technical settings correct.

Lynda
Sorry for the confusion. I just finished my 1 minute test recording. You should be able to find it now.

Asha
Okay, after you get the OK you can do/submit the recording. :) I will leave it assigned to you.

Lynda

cezka
Posts: 15
Joined: August 9th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Contact:

Post by cezka » August 18th, 2020, 11:18 pm

Lmnei wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:51 am
Hi ladies -

I just PL'd the following recordings and here is their feedback -

Sections 19, 25, 28 - all PL OK
Please use the Checker which I have linked below as all of your recordings (which were excellent!) were a bit on the high side for volume. The Checker will tell you where you are in terms of volume. While the range is 86 - 92 dB (yours were between 91 and 92 dB) we aim for 89 dB so all recordings will have similar volume.

Section 26 - at 2:54 please remove "This recording is in the public domain". It is not needed at the end of the recording. Then just leave your 5 seconds of silence.
Again, excellent recording!

Section 39 -
0:015 - please start the recording between :005 and :01 - so you need to remove between .5 and 1 second of silence please
Cezka - there is some noise in the recording - like cars driving by with loud music playing. You can hear it twice during the recording - especially at about the 2:10 mark. I tried noise cleaning your recording however that did not help it. I think this recording will be okay, however it is just something you will have to watch for - ambient noise.
Again, excellent recording!
One last thing and that is please save the file with the format specified on the main page which is entertainingmadeeasy_##_burt_128kb.mp3 - the burt is the author - please do not put your name there. The ## is your section number (which you did correctly).

So for sections 26 and 39 please do the edits and then save the file using the correct file format (do not add 1 or 2 or anything like that - just the way displayed on the main page for the book, inserting your section number) and upload it to availle's queue please. Also please provide me with the length of your recording time.

Just so you know the way it works, when you upload a file with the same name, your previous one gets automatically rennamed and archived. This is so we can go back to it if needed. So there is no issue naming the file names the same - Librivox can handle it :)

Lastly, if someone has not given you ladies the Checker Tool and you are on a PC, here is something you can use to check your recordings prior to sending them in. I use it to test my recordings and then yours when I receive them for volume and noise. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html It will give you a Passed/Fail or Passed with Warnings. The last two status need to be fixed prior to submitting the files for PL.

So that is about it - all three of you did GREAT on your first recordings!

Lynda
Hello Lynda!

Thank you for the corrections and I'm really sorry for the mistakes!! Though I'm glad to have learned :D

I re-recorded everything in a quieter environment and listened to it closer this time. The loud sounds you hear in the first one were actually from the washing machine :lol: I made sure to move away from the laundry room this time! I also have the checker; the audio passed.

Here is the update, and thanks again!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_39_burt_128kb.mp3
3:05
"Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge."
Gibran Khalil Gibran (1833-1931)

alixsquish
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2020, 8:31 am
Location: North East England

Post by alixsquish » August 19th, 2020, 12:02 am

Thanks for your feedback Lynda! Really helpful. Have figured how to tweak down the volume for future recordings. Makes total sense.

Looking forward to hearing it all together!
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog

Asha
Posts: 14
Joined: July 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Post by Asha » August 19th, 2020, 2:41 pm


MoiraScott
Posts: 19
Joined: July 29th, 2020, 6:53 am

Post by MoiraScott » August 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_29_burt_128kb.mp3

Here is section 29. Time is 2:01. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Moira

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 21st, 2020, 7:18 am

Thanks Moira, Asha and Cezha for your updates/sections!

I will get to listening to them today and providing feedback.

Lynda

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 21st, 2020, 2:16 pm

MoiraScott wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_29_burt_128kb.mp3

Here is section 29. Time is 2:01. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Moira
Moira - that was an excellent recording! It passes and is PL OK!

I have just one tiny little thing for you to remember for your next recording and that is to aim for your recordings to start between .5 and 1 second. You were just over 1 second this time which is fine - just thought I would let you know for the future :)

Lynda

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm

Asha wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 2:41 pm
I have been given the OK.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_37_burt_128kb.mp3
Time: 3:23
Great recording Asha! I do have just two little things for you to do prior to this recording being able to pass. The actual recording of the section was excellent - these are just set up issues -

0:01 Please start recording between .05 and .1 second - so just add a little bit of blank space at the beginning so that the start moves over between 1/2 and 1 second.
0:18 Please add Outdoor Weddings before An Orchard Pageant - you need to insert these words - it sounds like you know how to do that - let me know if you need help!

Lynda

Lmnei
Posts: 3578
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » August 21st, 2020, 2:22 pm

cezka wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:18 pm
Hello Lynda!

Thank you for the corrections and I'm really sorry for the mistakes!! Though I'm glad to have learned :D

I re-recorded everything in a quieter environment and listened to it closer this time. The loud sounds you hear in the first one were actually from the washing machine :lol: I made sure to move away from the laundry room this time! I also have the checker; the audio passed.

Here is the update, and thanks again!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_39_burt_128kb.mp3
3:05
[/quote]

Hi Cezka - This recording is awesome! You did the right thing in telling me that you recorded it again. Normally when we provide feedback to a reader we just check the areas of feedback and do not listen to the whole recording again unless like you did, readers record it again and TELL us that! Just thought I would let you know if you decide to re-record again due to noise, you always need to tell the DPL to listen to the whole recording again...

This recording is MUCH better! Congratulations! It is PL OK :clap:

Lynda

Asha
Posts: 14
Joined: July 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Post by Asha » August 22nd, 2020, 10:57 am


caroline76
Posts: 12
Joined: December 21st, 2019, 3:42 pm

Post by caroline76 » August 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hi Lynda,

Here's the revision you asked for:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_26_burt_128kb.mp3
2:59

thanks, Caroline

Post Reply