COMPLETE The Idea of a University by John Henry Newman-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AndrewNash wrote: April 26th, 2021, 7:09 am mighty felix, I've now completed my recording of Newman's 'Idea of a University' and it's all PL OK. what do I need to do next? This would be a suitable 'cover' image:

https://www.cardinaljohnhenrynewman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/7-Engraving-of-Newman-by-Henry-MacLean-based-on-a-portrait-by-George-Richmond.jpg

Andrew Nash.
I saw your PM before seeing this post. I thought that you had already made the cover itself, but I guess you just meant that you found an image you'd like to have on it. The best way to ensure that the cover will have the image you want is to make it yourself. The link I sent you over PM has a guide in the first post on how to make them. Otherwise, it's up to the cover maker. You could ask if they will use the image you've chosen, but they may not be able to for one reason or another.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I am working on validating this project now.

A bit of feedback to keep in mind for future projects, Andrew, is to be careful with your file names. About half of the files were named perfectly, but some of them were a bit strange. Here is the sample file name from the first post:
ideaofauniversity_##_newman_128kb.mp3
The only thing that should change from one file to next is the section number. Some of yours had, in place of the 128kb, something like 28.8mb or 21.6mb, and some extra underscores too. Maybe you were changing the number to reflect the size of the file? :hmm: But the 128kb doesn't refer to size and needs to remain just as it is for every file. (Speaking of file size, it isn't necessary to enter it into the notes section. You can, if you want it for your own reference, but just know that we don't need that info for our purposes.)

Jasna, you may also want to keep in mind that you should make note of any discrepancies in file names for future projects that you PL. :)

In any case, I've fixed the naming issues and it's almost ready to go over to Archive. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm sorry, Andrew, but I have found another problem with some of your files that I need you to address. Several of them have the wrong bit rate, and two are in stereo instead of mono. For me to fix this, I would need to download all of them individually, import them into Audacity, make the needed changes, re-export, and re-upload. I would be willing to do this for only one or two files, but there are several.

The sections in question are:

Please fix all of these to conform to the technical settings listed here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Tech_Specs

If you do not have Checker already, I recommend it highly: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker It's a good idea to get in the habit of running each of your chapters through Checker before uploading, particularly if you need to change your settings often, to make sure that they are where we need them.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Thank you for the heads up on file names, Devorah! I'll bear it in mind. :D
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

Thanks for all this, mighty felix. I'll get onto the problem.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

mighty felix
I now can't get into my Magic Window. When I try to, I just get taken to the dashboard which is blank and when I put my name or The Idea of a University into search it doesn't find anything.
Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AndrewNash wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:05 am mighty felix
I now can't get into my Magic Window. When I try to, I just get taken to the dashboard which is blank and when I put my name or The Idea of a University into search it doesn't find anything.
Andrew
Try it now. The status was still set to Validation. I didn't realize that would lock you out, but I bet that was the problem.
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

Yes, that's sorted it out. Thank you, Devorah. I am making good progress correcting all the files you listed and putting them into the Checker to make sure they're OK. My apologies for having failed to do this before - and also having mis-named some of the files - and so having caused you extra work- I did know about the checker but had forgotten about it.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

I meant to add: I will upload the corrected versions when I've done them all.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

mighty felix
All corrected files now uploaded.
Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-idea-of-a-university-by-john-henry-newman/
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

mightyfelix
Many thanks, Devorah. I feel a bit embarrassed that 'MA, PhD' repeatedly appears after my name. I didn't realise it would, and I think it looks pretentious. Any chance it could be removed? I'm sorry to cause you one last piece of extra work.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

mighty felix
Something has gone wrong with the very last section! It's only 38 seconds of the lecture! Please could you take it off public access while we sort this out.
I have no idea what's happened, but I suspect it's my fault - my own version of this lecture is wrong. I must have done something stupid. I'll have to re-record it.
Andrew
AndrewNash

Post by AndrewNash »

mighty felix
And could you give me access to my Magic Window again so that I can upload the correct version?
Andrew
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You won't receive MW access at this point. Just upload the correct version and put it here in the thread. We'll work it out.