COMPLETE: Typhoon by Joseph Conrad -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thank you for the extra time, I really appreciate it! This book has become quite the page-turner - I think I just had to get past the first section.

Section 2 has a repeat at 10:44 ("he . . . he said, obstinately") and has too much silence at the beginning and end of the file (1.5 seconds at the beginning, and 9.2 seconds at the end). Section 3 sounds lovely and is PL OK. Also, I just realized that Section 1 has a similar issue with too much silence at the beginning and end of the file (1.3 seconds at the beginning, and 9.7 seconds at the end).
ogus

Post by ogus »

Very many thanks for alerting me to these points.

My computer is being repaired at the moment and therefore I have no access to my Audacity software. I shall do the necessary corrections as soon as my system is working again.

Best wishes

Anthony
ogus

Post by ogus »

Computer repaired. I have made the corrections to Chapters 1 & 2. Hope to record Chapter 4 by middle of next week.

A
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Hi Anthony,
Hope you are well. Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK other than the fact that both recordings seem to have been exported incorrectly (variable bit rate instead of constant).
ogus

Post by ogus »

Hi there!

Yes, apart from a minor ailment I'm fine. The computer has now been repaired, though I had to reinstall Audacity in a slightly different with the result that there were some blips in my posting of chaps 1 and 2. In the light of your having most kindly spotting these, I have made the necessary corrections to the exporting of chapters 1 and 2. I have also posted chapter 4, a long and intense chapter.

Best wishes

Anthony
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thanks, Anthony! I'm looking forward to listening to Chapter 4. In the meantime, I have spot PLed Chapters 1 and 2. For some reason, the bit rate is still incorrect. Did you upload the wrong files?
ogus

Post by ogus »

I do not know what went wrong with the uploading of Chaps 1 and 2, but it is probably something to do with the fact that since my computer was repaired I have installed the latest, and slightly different, version of Audacity. Anyway, exported and uploaded the two chapters again. Hope that the problem has been resolved.

A
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

The bit rate is still incorrect. So strange! Have you run the files through Checker on your computer?
ogus

Post by ogus »

Oh dear! Will have to investigate further what is going wrong.

A
ogus

Post by ogus »

Oh dear! Will have to investigate further what is going wrong.

A
ogus

Post by ogus »

Would you tell me what you mean by "checker"? Is this on Audacity software?

A
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Checker is an application you can download to check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards. It was developed specifically for LibriVox. Read more here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker. I run every file I proof-listen through it, which is how I knew the bit rate of your files was incorrect.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Well, after a delay caused by my having to assimilate some complicated instructions (!), I think that I have solved the problem. Chaps 1 and 2 reformatted and have passed the checker test.

A
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Sections 1, 2, and 4 are PL OK. Yay!
ogus

Post by ogus »

Many thanks. Have been a little preoccupied with other matters, hence the delay in recording the next chapter. But it is now posted. Only two more to go!

Best wishes

A