COMPLETE: Typhoon by Joseph Conrad -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ogus

Post by ogus » June 17th, 2020, 4:20 am

Typhoon by Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/typhoon-by-joseph-conrad_2/

A seafaring novella in which those manning ships are pitted against the forces of nature. A typical Conrad exploration of human beings under emotional strain with the consequences for social and spiritual existence. ( Anthony Ogus)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1142
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: weather, seafaring life, pacific ocean

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Typhoon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Typhoon, by Joseph Conrad. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Typhoon by Joseph Conrad. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Typhoon, by Joseph Conrad. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename typhoon_##_conrad_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. typhoon_01_conrad_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Joseph Conrad
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Typhoon

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Anthony Ogus

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 17th, 2020, 4:38 am

Hi Anthony,

I will MC this for you. Please note that this will be version 2 in the catalog. Your MW will be available shortly.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

ogus

Post by ogus » June 17th, 2020, 6:57 am

Hello Jo

Many thanks for taking the project on board. I look forward to learning about the proof listener and getting started.

A

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 17th, 2020, 7:38 am

I will leave the thread here for a day or two to see if we pick up a prooflistener. If not, then you can post in Listeners Wanted for a DPL.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

cadastra

Post by cadastra » June 17th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Anthony,
I enjoyed the last book so much that I'd love to DPL!

ogus

Post by ogus » June 18th, 2020, 12:11 am

Many thanks. I hope to get record the first chapter by the beginning of next week.

A

ogus

Post by ogus » June 23rd, 2020, 3:00 am

Jo, I want to upload my recording of the first chapter but cannot find you name on the "select MC" menu.

A

ogus

Post by ogus » June 23rd, 2020, 7:08 am

Jo - sorry; I have found you! Did not expect such a long name!

Off we go: Chapter 1 posted. This is the first time I have attempted to record a Conrad book - not so easy, as the style is dense, but (I hope) rewarding.

A

ogus

Post by ogus » July 2nd, 2020, 1:53 pm

And now chapter 2.

Please note that at 0.59 and 13.13 I have departed slightly from the Gutenberg text where I thought the latter was not accurate, substituting "country" for "county" and "copied" for "copies". What i have inserted is used in some other versions of the text.

Anthony

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » July 2nd, 2020, 2:17 pm

Hi Anthony,

I usually will cross-check these sorts of word changes with a public domain scan of the book. Is that what you mean by "used in some other versions of the text"?
Jo
My Librivox Solos

ogus

Post by ogus » July 4th, 2020, 10:25 am

When I suspected that the Gutenberg version was inaccurate in these two places, I googled the passages in question and the results indicated that my suggested word changes had already been incorporated in two published hard copy versions of Typhoon. I hope that answers your question.

Anthony

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » July 4th, 2020, 11:25 am

They would need to have been published prior to 1925. However these two examples fall under minor typographical or OCR errors, so in this case should be okay.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

ogus

Post by ogus » July 11th, 2020, 9:12 am

Chapter 3 posted.

A superb piece of writing - I hope you agree!

A

cadastra

Post by cadastra » July 16th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Hi Anthony!
So sorry for the delay. Section 1 is PL OK. I will get to the rest tomorrow. I listened to Section 1 multiple times, which is what took me so long. The writing is brilliant, but for some reason, I am having trouble following the plot. This is only the second book by Conrad that I have read, though, so perhaps I have to get used to the style.

ogus

Post by ogus » July 17th, 2020, 12:15 am

Very pleased to learn that all is OK with you. No rush to catch up with me.

Conrad is not always easy to follow (most of his novels are more difficult than Typhoon!) but things become clearer as the book progresses, particuarly with the marvellous chapter 3.

A