COMPLETE The Enchiridion by Epictetus - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

The Enchiridion by Epictetus (c. 55 - c. 135). Translated by Percy Matheson (1859 - 1946)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-enchiridion-by-epictetus/

The Enchiridion (also translated as “Handbook” or “Manual”) of Epictetus is a short collection of Stoic precepts compiled by Arrian, a student of Epictetus. Epictetus (c. 50 – 135 AD) was a Greek philosopher and a champion of Stoicism, a philosophy dedicated to tranquility of the mind and soul via practical, actionable advice. Popular in the ancient and medieval world, it has even found favor in the contemporary military; fighter pilot James Stockdale attributed his survival of over seven years as a prisoner of war to the way of thinking contained in this short work. (summary written by John Pederson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/dep/dep102.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: fowuqlKA

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapters ## through ## of The Enchiridion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Enchiridion by Epictetus. Translated by Percy Matheson"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapters ## through ## of The Enchiridion by Epictetus. Translated by Percy Matheson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section #"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Enchiridion by Epictetus. Translated by Percy Matheson "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename enchiridion_##_epictetus_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. enchiridion_01_epictetus_128kb.mp3)
    • Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by johnpederson on June 16th, 2020, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Looks interesting. I'd love to DPL if you'll have me.
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

Awesome – thank you cadastra! It's a good translation – and a good work.

I'll correct the erroneous recording instructions given in the original post, since I entered the title incorrectly into the form. The header should be something like:
"Chapter [number] of The Enchiridion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by John Pederson. The Enchiridion, by Epictetus. Translated by Percy Matheson."

I actually had two questions for those more experienced reading this:

1) Should I say (1859-1946) after the translator's name? I feel like it would be more appropriate to leave it out, or say "Translated by Percy Matheson in 1916." instead.

2) There are 53 "chapters" in the Enchiridion, all of which can be read in under an hour. It seems to me like a single large recording or 53 very short recordings would be equally unwieldy to listen to – would it be alright to organize them arbitrarily into groups of about 10 or so? Each one would last about ten minutes.

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask such questions – I'm rather new here, and this is my first solo reading. Thanks!

Best regards,
John P.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Let me MC this project, John!

I'll go set it up, and then answer your questions.

There is another version of this in the catalogue (it's another translation I think), but you are still interested in doing this, yes?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place.
As a soloist, you are the book coordinator, responsible for updating the Magic Window. Here's a guide: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Start from "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create a password for the system (Workflow); the workflow login is something separate from your forum login.

I've cleared up the intro in the first post, also the filename. You can skip the translator dates. You can combine the "chapters" :thumbs:
I've suggested the word "Section" in the intro, but it can be anything you want that makes sense. It could be "Chapter", it could be "Part", etc

And, yes, you can ask questions here. :D

Also, please write a summary for the project in your own words rather than using wikipedia. Thanks!
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

Hi Rapunzelina,

Thanks so much! I accept your MC offer. I've named the chapter sections and will get cracking on them within the week.

And yes, I'm still interested in reading this translation – I really enjoy the ability of different translations to bring out the different nuances of a work, and I think that the wording of the Matheson translation differs significantly enough from the Elizabeth Carter one to be worthwhile.

Thanks for correcting the post! As far as headings, I think I'd like to say:
"Chapters 1 through 10 of The Enchiridion by Epictetus. Translated by Percy Matheson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
and
"End of Chapters 1 through 10. Recorded by John Pederson."
Also, since I'm including multiple chapters in the same file, when I'm transitioning between chapters, I'm hoping it's alright to say:
"...the answer that it is nothing to you. *brief pause* Chapter 2. Remember that the will to get..."

And apologies for the Wikipedia summary – I've seen that done on some other Librivox works so I got confused! I will replace it with my own presently.

Best regards,
John P.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Chapters ## through ## sounds fine, but please remember to use the full disclaimer in the first section, then you can use the shortened one in the rest.

We try to avoid Wikipedia summaries (although sometimes they slip through) for two reasons; one, because wiki articles are not pd (they are cc, creative commons) and two, because books that have wiki articles have it linked on their catalogue page anyway.

Have fun recording! I'll move us to the Going Solo forum.
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

Alright – I made it through all the sections! Please let me know of any mistakes you find.

Rapunzelina, as this is my first solo, do you know what the next step on my agenda should be? Thanks!

– John P.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

johnpederson wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:44 pm Alright – I made it through all the sections! Please let me know of any mistakes you find.

Rapunzelina, as this is my first solo, do you know what the next step on my agenda should be? Thanks!

– John P.
Well done! Now we wait for the proof listening. If nothing needs fixing, I'll start the cataloguing process and you don't need to do anything else in this project. Except if you also want to do a cd cover for it? When a project is catalogued, it moves to the "Completed" state, and then some of the more artistic members create cd covers for the completed projects. But sometimes the book coordinators and soloists choose to do their own covers for their projects. Here is the cd cover making thread, for more information viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785
So if you're interested in doing that, you can preclaim the cover on that thread, or I could preclaim it for you if you tell me to.

Otherwise, you're ready for your next project and/or recording for group projects :D
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

Awesome! I think I'll try my hand at designing a cover – would you be willing to preclaim it for me? Not sure what to say there – thanks!
– John P.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Hi, John:

Wow, lovely reading, especially for your first solo! You sound like a professional. I am so glad I volunteered to DPL this book; it is an interesting read. I have a couple of PL notes for you...

First of all, each of the five sections contains the expanded disclaimer at the beginning of the recording ("This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org") instead of the shortened disclaimer ("This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain"). As stated in the first post, for solo projects, the reader must include the expanded disclaimer in the first section. However, in subsequent sections, the reader may optionally use the shortened disclaimer. It is your decision whether or not you wish to change the disclaimer in Sections 2-5.

Also, the wrong outro is used in all sections. The outro should be "end of chapters ## through ##," not "end of chapters ## through ## of The Enchiridion by Epictetus." The outro, "End of The Enchiridion by Epictetus" should be included at the end of Section 5 alone.

Finally, in Section 3, there is a repeat at 04:44 ("you will be unjust then and . . . and insatiable").

All small errors and easy to fix. Let me know when the edited files are uploaded and I will spot PL them. Thanks again for the lovely afternoon of listening!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have just pre-claimed the cd cover in your name. I think you have about two weeks at your disposal to create the cd cover, but the sooner the better :D And remember that the images used need to be in the public domain as well. Follow the instructions in the thread I linked to, and please ask if something is unclear.

I read through the pl notes. Using the full disclaimer in all sections is fine. The outros also sound fine, as long as the listener understands that this is the end of the section, and there is consistency. I'm saying this because I'm a fan of "less is more" :mrgreen: the less editing the better.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thanks for the clarification, Rapunzelina!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I just noticed that the Magic Window is set to "Ready for Spot-PL". Does that mean you have uploaded updated files, John?
If so, please also post in the thread whenever you upload files, to notify the DPL. Did you address all the PL notes, or which edits did you make? I'm asking so that the spot-check is easier.
Cheers!

Exciting to have your first solo complete, isn't it!!! One step from the catalogue now! :D
johnpederson

Post by johnpederson »

Yes – apologies, I corrected the audio files (easy enough, since the edits were subtractive), uploaded them, and decided to work on the CD cover so I could post both in the same reply. Of course, doing things for the first time always takes longer, hence the delay – but here's the post!

I left the longer introduction to all the files, but edited all the outros appropriately and fixed the "and" repetition. The files are now ready for spot PL.

I also made the cover, thumbnails, and jewel CD case jacket (https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/enchiridion_2006.zip), but couldn't find this project (or your post) in the cover-making thread – I must be looking in the wrong place. It should be a post here (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785&hilit=rapunzelina&start=12330), right?

It is exciting! It's been a very nice experience – thanks for helping make it so!

– John P.