COMPLETE: Through Broadland in a Breydon Punt by John Knowlittle - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Neat! I love that I never knew this man (or this specific section of Great Britain) existed before randomly volunteering for your first project, and now I'm fascinated by him and the area and definitely want to try to go see it if I ever get to visit the UK again!

Looking forward to more Knowlittle!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

I guess that it is a sign of a great book and a great author when you open the cover and get immediately drawn in to their world.

I don’t know if you spotted another Arthur Henry Patterson book that I did last year?

https://librivox.org/man-and-nature-on-the-broads-by-arthur-henry-patterson/

This tells the life of the Broads, month by month, over the course of a year.

I have started recording my next audiobook, which again is by AHP – but this one will take me a while as I would estimate it to have a total running time of around 18 hours when completed.

That would be really good if you could fit in a visit to the Broads on a future trip to the UK. :)

Looking forward to more Knowlittle? Knowproblem – Section 6 has been uploaded.

Cheers

TND
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

Section 7 now uploaded.

Here AHP is joined by a ghostly jolly old Benedictine monk for a spot of fishing in the shadow of the ruins of St. Benet's Abbey.

Fortunately, he wasn't around at midnight to meet up with the "Shrieking Monk" of St Benet's! :shock:

Or any of the other spirits that are reputed to reside there.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-st-benets-norfolk-broad-mysteries-1-6261564

(No mention in the report of Ye Jolly Olde Fishing Monk though!)

Cheers

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Fun! Looking forward to this. I've been busy with some writing assignments this week and looking forward to a treat with Mr. Knowlittle when I finally finish up.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

We're Homeward Bound now :)

Sections 8 & 9 uploaded.

Cheers

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section5 is PL OK!
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 6 is PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

And so is section 7!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Sections 8 and 9 PL OK -- all finished!

I'm sorry to have been so slow on the PL-ing. I really did enjoy it very much and your reading as well. I especially enjoyed the bit of singing in the last section! Did you guess at the tune or did you know the song?

I hope to hear you do another book soon!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

ColleenMc wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:10 pm Sections 8 and 9 PL OK -- all finished!

I'm sorry to have been so slow on the PL-ing. I really did enjoy it very much and your reading as well. I especially enjoyed the bit of singing in the last section! Did you guess at the tune or did you know the song?

I hope to hear you do another book soon!

Colleen
Hi Colleen

Thanks for your help in PLing the book and also for your comments about it - I'm really pleased that you enjoyed hearing a little bit more about this part of the Norfolk Broads! :)

As for the song, well it was initially unknown to me but 'rolling' the words around helps make the tune become apparent. And as it was an important memory from the author's childhood, well it just had to be sung - didn't it! ;)

I do have another AHP book sorted and which I have started to record. This one is back to nature and follows on from my previous recording, Notes of an East Coast Naturalist.

Many thanks also to Jo, for MCing & overseeing this project.

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'd love to help with that one too!

Also, I am not sure if you are familiar with the E.L. Turner that "JK" mentions seeing in his journey in the final chapters. He referred to a woman who was photographing birds. I went off to Google and found out that it was Emma Louisa Turner, who was another Broads naturalist type and has some books of her own, so maybe when you are finished with AHP you might want to check her out.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Turner_(photographer)

Here's a book in the Internet Archive by her: https://archive.org/details/broadlandbirdsby00turn

I also found an article she published in British Birds in 1919 that I have bookmarked to read for a nonfiction collection one day soon.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

ColleenMc wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:57 am I'd love to help with that one too!
No problem - I'll let you know when I open it as a project.
Also, I am not sure if you are familiar with the E.L. Turner that "JK" mentions seeing in his journey in the final chapters. He referred to a woman who was photographing birds. I went off to Google and found out that it was Emma Louisa Turner, who was another Broads naturalist type and has some books of her own, so maybe when you are finished with AHP you might want to check her out.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Turner_(photographer)

Here's a book in the Internet Archive by her: https://archive.org/details/broadlandbirdsby00turn
I wasn't aware of E.L. Turner but have made a note to check out this book for the future - Thanks for that info.

I also found an article she published in British Birds in 1919 that I have bookmarked to read for a nonfiction collection one day soon.
Let me know when you have read this, I'd be interested to listen to it.

Thanks

TND
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations TND1 on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/through-broadland-in-a-breydon-punt-by-arthur-henry-patterson/
Jo
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was looking at the pdf in search of cover inspiration and wondered, considering you had already done the work, whether you would consider uploading it to Internet Archive so that the world could share? He is a delightful writer and illlustrator.

Anne
TND1

Post by TND1 »

annise wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:10 pm I was looking at the pdf in search of cover inspiration and wondered, considering you had already done the work, whether you would consider uploading it to Internet Archive so that the world could share? He is a delightful writer and illlustrator.

Anne
Good suggestion Anne - I hadn't really thought about doing that. I had just created a 'cheap & cheerful' PDF to use for the project but if you think that it might be suitable to upload to Archive, then I'll look into it.

Thanks

TND