COMPLETE: [ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY] On Benefits, by Seneca - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Wittgenstein01 wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 10:09 am How long does it take to get feedback for test recording?
That depends a lot. We are all volunteers, so depends on how many tests come at the same time, and how much time the volunteers have to check on them. But usually within a few days. :D
Leni
=================
gchanturia

Post by gchanturia »

Hi Leni,

I just uploaded section 13. It's ready for review? Can you please guide me through next steps and the timeline of when it should be ready for public listening, if it is done as it was intended?

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/onbenefits_13_seneca_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
George

Leni wrote: August 25th, 2020, 4:40 pm
gchanturia wrote: August 24th, 2020, 2:59 pm Hello,

Can I take part 13 please? "Phillip and the Soldier"

Hello, and welcome!

Sure, I will assign you the section. But before you read it, we strongly recommend you try the one-minute test. Please follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Thanks!
gchanturia

Post by gchanturia »

Hi Everyone,

Section 13, Book IV, chapters 35-40 have been posted.

link is: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/onbenefits_13_seneca_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
George
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

gchanturia wrote: September 4th, 2020, 7:22 am Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
George
Thanks, George!

Now our Proof-Listener, cadastra, will listen to your section and give you some feedback on it. Pleas return here in a few days to see that feedback!

Also, whenever you send a file, please let us know the length, in minutes and seconds.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

gchanturia wrote: September 4th, 2020, 7:22 am Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
George
Hi George,

Thanks for your submission. First off, have you heard of Checker? You can check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards using the program. We require the technical specifications outlined in the LibriVox wiki here. There are currently a number of technical issues with your files. Usually, these sorts of issues are sorted out when you submit your 1-Minute Test. You can see Jo's feedback on your test here. With that said, here are my PL notes for this recording:

1. The bit rate is 76 kbps variable and should be 182 kbps constant. To fix the bit rate, watch this video or follow these instructions:
1. Go to File / Export Audio
2. Select Format Options in the lower right corner
3. Select the following settings: Constant, 128 kbps, Force export to mono
4. Press OK
N.B. There is no need to adjust the file format each time you save a recording as these settings will persist.

2. The volume of your file is too low at 84.5 dB. We aim for about 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. You can adjust the input volume before recording to avoid using the amplify feature in Audacity during post-processing. The input volume is the level at which your recording device is receiving your voice while you read. You want to avoid having it set too low or too high. (In your case, it seems the input volume is set too low.) For more information on how to set the input volume, visit this page in the LibriVox wiki.

Adjusting the input volume will help in the future, but Section 13 will need to be amplified, as it has already been recorded. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +4.5. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.

N.B. Amplification also increases the volume of any background noise. Based on the current quality of the file, I don't anticipate background noise being a problem. However, if you discover that there is significant background noise after you increase the volume of the file, you can use the noise-cleaning feature in Audacity to reduce the noise. To perform noise cleaning, follow the instructions here.

3. The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound. When you record in stereo, the recording program will create 2 tracks, one for each ear of the earphones. Recording in mono means that you will only have one track, and both earphones will play the same track. This reduces the size of the audio file. Note that Audacity records in stereo by default, which is likely why your file is recorded that way. To make Audacity record automatically in mono, you have to set your preferences by following these instructions: Go to Edit > Preferences, and choose the Audio I/O tab. On the top right corner, in the Channels drop-down menu, select 1 (Mono), and click OK.

Now, again, changing your preferences will fix the problem for next time, but the files that have already been recorded will need to be manually changed to mono. Follow these directions: Select both tracks. Click Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo Down to Mono.

4. At the beginning of the recording, your voice is extremely difficult to understand. It sounds like you are sitting far away from the microphone, and there are a lot of clicks and sibilants (harsh, loud "s" sounds - see more here). However, the sound quality improves from 04:16-09:07. I'm not sure what you did differently, but could you please re-record the beginning of the file using that new technique so that listeners can hear what you are saying? Also, please re-record the outro. ("End of Section 13.")

5. There is too much silence at the beginning of the recording. There should be less than 1 second of silence, and there is currently almost 5 seconds of silence.

6. There is too little silence at the end of the recording.. There should be 5 full seconds of silence, and there is currently only 4 seconds of silence.

7. Repeat at 04:59 ("if only I can see my ch . . . chief"). Repeat at 08:19 ("im . . . impressed"). Multiple errors from 11:16-11:22 ("and then declare that they are under no obligation"). Multiple errors from 11:45-11:47 ("or if he would not notice").

8. White noise from 07:05-07:06.

Once you have made the above changes, re-upload using the same file name. Post in this thread when you have uploaded the edited file. Don't forget to include the duration.
dvandervis

Post by dvandervis »

Section 9

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/onbenefits_09_seneca_128kb.mp3

Length 22:39

And apologies for taking so long on this, I meant to have this finished six weeks ago. ><
Diana V.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Do I need to slow down? How's my enunciation? Did I stumble, or pause too long? Please let me know!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

dvandervis wrote: September 9th, 2020, 8:25 pm Section 9

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/onbenefits_09_seneca_128kb.mp3

Length 22:39

And apologies for taking so long on this, I meant to have this finished six weeks ago. ><
Thanks much! :D
Leni
=================
Wittgenstein01

Post by Wittgenstein01 »

Hi Leni, I'm feeling keen to do some recording for you ☺ but I'm still waiting for feedback for my test recording. Is there anything I 🤔 can do?
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Wittgenstein01 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:07 am Hi Leni, I'm feeling keen to do some recording for you ☺ but I'm still waiting for feedback for my test recording. Is there anything I 🤔 can do?
Yes! Post your test, probably. I couldn't find it in the Listeners Wanted forum. Which is why nobody gave you feedback, probably. Where is your test? :D
Leni
=================
talyamj

Post by talyamj »

Hello, I would like to record section 16: Book 5, Chapters 17 to 22, entitled: Examples of ingratitude—Dialogue on ingratitude. Thanks :clap:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

talyamj wrote: September 18th, 2020, 7:06 pm Hello, I would like to record section 16: Book 5, Chapters 17 to 22, entitled: Examples of ingratitude—Dialogue on ingratitude. Thanks :clap:
Hello, and welcome to LV!

Sure, I have assigned you the section. Before you record it, though, please read the Guide to Newbies (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording) and please try the one-minute test, so you make sure your technical specs are ok. Thanks again!
Leni
=================
talyamj

Post by talyamj »

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

talyamj wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:39 am Hello! here is my 1 minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/test_talyamj.mp3
Please, post it in the Listeners Wanted Forum, which is the right place for you to get feedback on tests: viewforum.php?f=21
Leni
=================