[COMPLETE] Taras Bulba by Gogol - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 3rd, 2020, 4:28 am

I can't stand wikipedia summaries. :twisted:

We link to the wikipedia entry for the book anyway; and since you spent all that time (some 5 hours on a quick add-up) reading it, I'm sure you have something original to say. :D
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 3rd, 2020, 7:04 am

Availle wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 4:28 am

We link to the wikipedia entry for the book anyway; and since you spent all that time (some 5 hours on a quick add-up) reading it, I'm sure you have something original to say. :D
You would have thought so. But oddly not feeling much inspiration at all at this very moment. Will come up with something. Perhaps reading Hapgood's introduction will provide the inspiration.

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 3rd, 2020, 9:37 pm

Availle wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 4:28 am

How's this?

Taras Bulba is a romanticised historical novella by Nikolai Gogol set in Russia’s equivalent of America’s wild frontier, what is today Ukraine, a name which means something like “frontier” or “marches”. It was an ill-defined wild border land whose borders were subject to change and whose nominal rulers had allowed it to become a nuisance to them that it might also be a nuisance to the armies of their enemies and an obstacle to their advances. It was a time when men were men and sheep were scared and those men were Cossacks.

The story concerns the lives and deaths of Cossack colonel Taras Bulba and his two sons Ostap and Andriy who have just graduated from the Kiev Academy. It is a tale of bravado, derring-do, defence of the faith, chivalry, romance, honour and above all carousing.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 3rd, 2020, 10:06 pm

If you're happy with it, I'm happy with it.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » June 4th, 2020, 4:32 am

I'd like to PL Sec 10.
Thanks
Last edited by HannaPonomarenko on June 4th, 2020, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 4th, 2020, 5:16 am

I'm not offering to Pl - but I had a few spare moments and downloaded section 1. You've a great reading voice but the overall volume is too low and the range is too great. You've got to remember than most people are listening with earphones not speakers , and if they adjust them to your narrating volume they are going to have ruptured eardrums when Dad speaks. I'd use a leveler - a couple of medium passes rather than 1 maximum pass but there may be other ways. I've never come across as great a volume range. is possible for future projects to achieve the effect you want without the massive change in volume.
I see someone has volunteered as I post - but I'll still leave this.

Anne

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » June 4th, 2020, 9:01 am

PL notes for Sec 10.
The recording in general is too low (83 dB, but the standard is 89 dB +-3dB).
It's 32bit instead of 16bit. Not sure if it is important.
The reading is very passionate :thumbs:

Notes for MC:
I suggest to add the author's name to the intro . We have just "Gogol", but the book has "Nikolai V. Gogol".
The text source differs between the Project page and the thread. The one in the thread matches the recording.

Thanks

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 4th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Thank you both! :clap:
HannaPonomarenko wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:01 am
It's 32bit instead of 16bit.
I think as long as our other tech specs are met, this doesn't make a difference.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Author name doesn't matter; if everything else is fine, you can leave it.

As for the volume, yes, this is an issue. Simon, I told you already in the test that your recording is very dynamic, it is obviously not good if you're screaming my ears off during the dialogue while the narration is inaudible.
Please fix this; Anne gives a good pointer with a leveller (I don't know how this is called in your program). Essentially what this does is to increase the volume of the quieter parts more than that of the louder parts - evening out the recording if you want so. However, you may need to adjust the overall volume at the very end of this.

Please fix this and reupload.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 4th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Thanks, Anne and Hanna for the listening and feedback.

I will look into levelling.

Re 32bit/16bit, I've learned how to put the software in 16bit mode and will do so for future projects. But everything went silent on the existing recordings so I'll leave that as it is if it's not a problem for you.

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » June 5th, 2020, 2:03 am

SimonSG wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 9:03 pm
Thanks, Anne and Hanna for the listening and feedback.

I will look into levelling.

Re 32bit/16bit, I've learned how to put the software in 16bit mode and will do so for future projects. But everything went silent on the existing recordings so I'll leave that as it is if it's not a problem for you.
Ok.

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 6th, 2020, 3:01 am

I've uploaded a new version of Chapter 10. Used a combination of amplify and limiter in Audacity. Looks Librivox-friendly in Audacity. Not personally able to perceive the changes.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/tarasbulba_10_gogol_128kb.mp3 14:13

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 6th, 2020, 3:21 am

SimonSG wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 3:01 am
Not personally able to perceive the changes.
That does not surprise me. :lol:

Your overall volume is now at 85.9 according to mp3 gain, which is still too quiet.
Also, if you simply look at the waveform of the whole recording, you will see exactly where you are narrating (the low peaks) and where you go for dialogue (the high peaks). Look for example at the two peaks just after the 8 minute mark - these are dialogue, the surrounding stuff is narration.
It is natural to have dialogue louder than the narration, but here the dialogue is at least double the volume of the narration, that is too much variation. If I listened to this via headset, you would still blow my ears off with this.

You need to get your narration parts up much more than this. In general, a good rule of thumb is to have the whole waveform around the 0.5 mark in audacity.

Have a look at my current solo here (meaning download the file and actually look at the waveform):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78166
The first chapter has a lot of dialogue with different speakers, but the difference to the narration overall is not much.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 6th, 2020, 3:45 am

Ok - I have uploaded a new version based on your comments. The new wave is not as pretty as yours (or the old one of mine) but is now more level.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/tarasbulba_10_gogol_128kb.mp3 14:13

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 6th, 2020, 3:59 am

As long as it sounds good, it doesn't have to look pretty. :D

You're now at 90.8 dB, which is slightly on the upper end of our range. However, since this a solo and I assume that you treat the rest of the files in a similar manner to this one, we're fine.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

SimonSG

Post by SimonSG » June 6th, 2020, 4:12 am

Great. I'll tamper with the other chapters in the same fashion and upload them over the next few days.

Thanks.