[COMPLETE] Taras Bulba by Gogol - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Taras Bulba by Nikolai Gogol. Translated by Isabel Hapgood

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/taras-bulba-by-nikolai-vasilievich-gogol/

Taras Bulba is a romanticised historical novella by Nikolai Gogol set in Russia’s equivalent of America’s wild frontier, what is today Ukraine, a name which means something like “frontier” or “marches”. It was an ill-defined wild border land whose borders were subject to change and whose nominal rulers had allowed it to become a nuisance to them that it might also be a nuisance to the armies of their enemies and an obstacle to their advances. It was a time when men were men and sheep were scared and those men were Cossacks.

The story concerns the lives and deaths of Cossack colonel Taras Bulba and his two sons Ostap and Andriy who have just graduated from the Kiev Academy. It is a tale of bravado, derring-do, defence of the faith, chivalry, romance, honour and above all carousing.( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/tarasbulba00unkngoog/page/n62/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Taras Bulba. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Taras Bulba, by Gogol. Translated by Isabel Hapgood [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Taras Bulba by Gogol. Translated by Isabel Hapgood. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Taras Bulba"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename tarasbulba_##_gogol_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tarasbulba_01_gogol_128kb.mp3)

You can ignore the ID3 Tags, they will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Note that everything is recorded but not yet uploaded since I don't yet have an MC.
Last edited by SimonSG on June 6th, 2020, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
prosfilaes

Post by prosfilaes »

I've been told that LibriVox doesn't accept Wikisource. Note that it's backed by https://archive.org/details/tarasbulbataleof00gogouoft Google scans at the Internet Archive, and the text can be compared word for word with the scans at https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Taras_Bulba._A_Tale_of_the_Cossacks._1916.djvu .
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Ok. I've made the change. It's the same translation and in fact the version I read to myself a couple of weeks ago. I used the Wikisource version to be able to copy and paste it into the recording software.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

SimonSG wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:18 amI used the Wikisource version to be able to copy and paste it into the recording software.
What recording software are you talking about? I don't understand?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Availle wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:24 am
SimonSG wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:18 amI used the Wikisource version to be able to copy and paste it into the recording software.
What recording software are you talking about? I don't understand?
The recording software is Logic Pro X. I wanted to be able to read the text inside it (so as not to have to change). The archive.org version of the same translation (and the one I read originally) is a scan.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, that's a first - never heard about that. I guess most LIbriVoxers don't use sophisticated equipment like that.

Before we get this started, could you please upload a short sample - less than a minute - so we can check the tech specs. No point in uploading the whole thing if you have to change anything anyway.

Please upload the sample to the tests folder and post it either here or over in our "Listeners Wanted" forum. Thanks. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Availle wrote: June 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm Okay, that's a first - never heard about that. I guess most LIbriVoxers don't use sophisticated equipment like that.

Before we get this started, could you please upload a short sample - less than a minute - so we can check the tech specs. No point in uploading the whole thing if you have to change anything anyway.

Please upload the sample to the tests folder and post it either here or over in our "Listeners Wanted" forum. Thanks. :D
It's just Garage Band with additional features. Looking at Garage Band, it actually has all the functionality I used to record TB. Just more used to opening Logic Pro.

Here is the link to the test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_SimonSG.mp3
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There's a text version same translator here http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1197 - that's the link the first version used.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Anne! :D

Okay, Simon, I really like your reading, very spritied! :lol:

Thing to change: - Your test is stereo, we need it mono.
This is a usual problem with garageband, it seems to be rather difficult to get it to record or at least export in mono... I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the program, you're on your own, but a forum search should come up with something.

Things to be careful about: - volume
This excerpt is 90.7 dB (which is inside the range of 87 - 93; with optimal 89) so it's okay. However, your reading is very dynamic especially in the direct speeches, you need to be careful not to get much louder than you are there. Once your waveform "hits" the top/bottom of the window - this is called clipping - the waveform is cut off and may lead to distortions if it happens too often. This is also not fixable in post-processing.

- background noise
It seems there is a very slight background noise to this test; it's not annoying or anything, but you may want to experiment with very light noise cleaning, just enough to lessen it a bit more. This sample doesn't leave enough room silence to try that though.

And a personal opinion: :oops:
As I said, I really like your spirited reading, and you're doing a great job showing the emotion in the first character. However, around 00:40, there is a short narrative part, and to me this feels rather rushed. Note that when people listen to an audiobook, they don't have the text in front of them but they need to understand what's going on the first time around.

It's very hard to change your natural reading/speaking speed (and I am a fast reader myself), but just in case you tried deliberately to speak faster during the narration, please don't. :wink: Direct speech of characters is something else though - changing the speed is a very good way of differentiating characters, much better than trying to change pitch.
However, that's a personal opinion and not a "do this or else..." We all are different readers and like to listen to different readers too, so not to worry!

Anyway, just to make sure that you managed to wrangle your program into submission, could you please upload another test - mono this time?

Thanks!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

annise wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm There's a text version same translator here http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1197 - that's the link the first version used.

Anne
Ok. Do you need me to change it?
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Availle wrote: June 1st, 2020, 10:52 pm Thank you Anne! :D

Okay, Simon, I really like your reading, very spritied! :lol:

Thing to change: - Your test is stereo, we need it mono.
This is a usual problem with garageband, it seems to be rather difficult to get it to record or at least export in mono... I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the program, you're on your own, but a forum search should come up with something.

Things to be careful about: - volume
This excerpt is 90.7 dB (which is inside the range of 87 - 93; with optimal 89) so it's okay. However, your reading is very dynamic especially in the direct speeches, you need to be careful not to get much louder than you are there. Once your waveform "hits" the top/bottom of the window - this is called clipping - the waveform is cut off and may lead to distortions if it happens too often. This is also not fixable in post-processing.

- background noise
It seems there is a very slight background noise to this test; it's not annoying or anything, but you may want to experiment with very light noise cleaning, just enough to lessen it a bit more. This sample doesn't leave enough room silence to try that though.

And a personal opinion: :oops:
As I said, I really like your spirited reading, and you're doing a great job showing the emotion in the first character. However, around 00:40, there is a short narrative part, and to me this feels rather rushed. Note that when people listen to an audiobook, they don't have the text in front of them but they need to understand what's going on the first time around.

It's very hard to change your natural reading/speaking speed (and I am a fast reader myself), but just in case you tried deliberately to speak faster during the narration, please don't. :wink: Direct speech of characters is something else though - changing the speed is a very good way of differentiating characters, much better than trying to change pitch.
However, that's a personal opinion and not a "do this or else..." We all are different readers and like to listen to different readers too, so not to worry!

Anyway, just to make sure that you managed to wrangle your program into submission, could you please upload another test - mono this time?

Thanks!
Thanks. The voice is based on an old school friend’s impersonation of his dad, which was always accompanied by lots of theatrical hand-waving.

I have converted all the recordings to mono. It wasn’t straightforward but well explained in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8fbNUZWcY, which I'm posting just in case someone else has the same problem. As requested, I have uploaded a mono version of the sample (with the same name).

As for the speed, oddly enough it was the opposite. I read the book aloud to myself first and very rapidly. Then I started again for the recording and realised it was not appropriate for others. So I changed the style. Then at the end I went back and listened to all the recordings and the first chapter was still too fast (and didn’t match the style of later chapters). However, I take the point and will be more conscious about the listener’s need to take it all in in future.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since your second sample was mono as we need it, I've set this up for you. :D

As the soloist of this oeuvre, you are responsible for your Magic Window, which requires a new password. Please login using the link just below the MW and follow the steps there (username is your forum name).

Here is a quick How-to for the MW:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Let me know if you have questions.
I'll leave this here for a few days to see if we can attract a DPL who will listen to all your files.

Usually, I would say something like: Have fun with this, but you already did... :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Availle wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 3:17 pm Since your second sample was mono as we need it, I've set this up for you. :D

As the soloist of this oeuvre, you are responsible for your Magic Window, which requires a new password. Please login using the link just below the MW and follow the steps there (username is your forum name).

Here is a quick How-to for the MW:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Let me know if you have questions.
I'll leave this here for a few days to see if we can attract a DPL who will listen to all your files.

Usually, I would say something like: Have fun with this, but you already did... :lol:
Thanks, Ava.

Everything is now uploaded and ready for proof-listening and the window should be complete. Let me know if anything needs changing.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Looks good, except:

- I need a runtime for each section in the notes (to aid with cataloging and PLing too)
- I need a summary of the book before cataloging. Self-written please. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SimonSG

Post by SimonSG »

Availle wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 3:58 am Looks good, except:

- I need a runtime for each section in the notes (to aid with cataloging and PLing too)
- I need a summary of the book before cataloging. Self-written please. :D
- I've added the durations to the MW.
- As for the summary, I took the following from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taras_Bulba:
Taras Bulba is a romanticised historical novella by Nikolai Gogol. It describes the life of an old Zaporozhian Cossack, Taras Bulba, and his two sons, Andriy and Ostap. The sons study at the Kiev Academy and then return home, whereupon the three men set out on a journey to the Zaporozhian Sich (the Zaporozhian Cossack headquarters, located in southern Ukraine), where they join other Cossacks and go to war against Poland.
Does it need to go somewhere specific or is here ok?