COMPLETE [GROUP] In the Oregon Country by George Palmer Putnam - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Ah, the irony of it all. My link was also broken! Methinks I copied it too quickly before the upload was complete. Thus, haste not only makes waste it can create irony too! Let's try this one: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_13_putnam_128kb.mp3 Still 29mm03ss.

My life travels actually started in Wisconsin (we do the long vowels too) then to Oregon for my youth. Went to CA for college and the weather and culture got me good. However I still find recurrent regrowth of moss in parts of my web feet . . . 8-)
Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TomHersant wrote: May 31st, 2020, 10:07 pm Ah, the irony of it all. My link was also broken! Methinks I copied it too quickly before the upload was complete. Thus, haste not only makes waste it can create irony too! Let's try this one: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_13_putnam_128kb.mp3 Still 29mm03ss.

My life travels actually started in Wisconsin (we do the long vowels too) then to Oregon for my youth. Went to CA for college and the weather and culture got me good. However I still find recurrent regrowth of moss in parts of my web feet . . . 8-)
Tommy
Okay, I think that link will work. Time to hit the sack, and I'm putting in a long overtime day tomorrow. I'll listen soon.
Someone posted one of those FB things recently about all the places one has lived, and I came up with a list of 40 towns and cities, some for a few months, but also not counting the repeat places or moves withing the same town. I'll be happy not to move again, but who knows? It's been only a year. :roll:
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

So nicely tread, such tantalizing descriptions. PL OK
Thanks for another fine recording, Tom.

Feel free to take some more, if you like. :wink:
~ Larry
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hey Larry -

Here's chapter 1 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_01_putnam_128kb.mp3
Track length: 9:18
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

HollyMasri

Post by HollyMasri »

Dear Larry,
I was ready to post a long letter full of questions, along with my most recent efforts on Chapter 4, but I can't see either "silverquill" or "Larry" on the MC dropdown of the uploader. What am I missing?

Thank you,
Holly Masri :?
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Holly -

I can help here a bit. Larry is the book coordinator (BC) for thus project. Only LibriVox administrators appear in the metacoordinator (MC) list, who for this project is David Lawrence. If you'd like to send a note to Larry you can click on his forum name above (Silverquill) and it will open his profile page with a link for his private messages.

Welcome to LibriVox :D
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pschempf wrote: June 4th, 2020, 1:46 pm Hey Larry -

Here's chapter 1 -

Thank you!
I'll PL soon.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

vvocelli wrote: June 5th, 2020, 3:19 pm Ready for PL:

CH 7 - 15:34 https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_07_putnam_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
I'll PL soon.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HollyMasri wrote: June 5th, 2020, 3:31 pm Dear Larry,
I was ready to post a long letter full of questions, along with my most recent efforts on Chapter 4, but I can't see either "silverquill" or "Larry" on the MC dropdown of the uploader. What am I missing?

Thank you,
Holly Masri :?
Hi, Holly!
I got your PM and have sent you a reply.
~ Larry
HollyMasri

Post by HollyMasri »

Dear Larry,
Thanks for your suggestion-- that was indeed the problem. And now I know several more things that I didn't before! Thanks to pschempf, also, for straightening me out on the MC/BC thing. Acronyms are one of the banes of my existence... :wink:

Anyway, here's my most recent effort on Chapter 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_04_putnam_128kb.mp3

And here's the message I meant to attach... two days ago.

Dear Larry,
Attached is my effort-in-progress on Chapter 4 of In The Oregon Country. Being new to Librivox, Audacity and also my 2013 MacBook Pro (I was Windows PC before), I’m afraid I will have a LOT of questions! Hopefully not TOO many… and I will do my best to be comprehensible.

Firstly, I’m recording in a heavily padded closet in an apartment I’m subletting for the next few months. It’s considerably less than ideal, as I can still hear lots of noises from time to time, including traffic, airplanes, the heater/ac of the person upstairs cycling on and off, etc. My solution so far is to keep the gain on my Blue Yeti fairly low, and to record fairly close to the mic (4-5”, but pointing my face past the mic to hopefully limit breaths and plosives. I also have a pop filter.).

Since recording this reading at an 89 volume level on Audacity a couple days ago, I have done the following:
-cut out mistakes, weird mouth noises, too-long pauses, and inserted a bit of room tone here and there.
-used ACX Check periodically to see better what was happening
-applied “filter curve, low rolloff for speech”
-applied “RMS normalize”
-applied “limiter”, and
-applied “noise reduction” of 9-6-6.

All these helped considerably. However, so far I still have lots of breaths and some crackling, as you will hear. I’ve been doing lots of self-education online, reading, watching videos, etc. I'm trying to develop an editing/mastering routine best suited to my circumstances, and I’m learning a lot. But I still don’t have a good sense of how much breath, or noise, is okay, and how much needs to be fixed... and if needed, the best way to do that. In fact, the more I listen to my work, the more I could find fault with… but I thought I should see what you thought, before doing any more. I did run the final .mp3 through the Librivox Checker and it said it passed, but it looks to me like it was a near thing.

Another thing I’m a bit confused/concerned about: how do you name your tracks while you’re working on them? So far, I’ve started adding words like “raw”, or “edit”, or “first try”. Also I’ve read that I should save a project as .wav while working on it, then make an .mp3 only when I’m ready to send it to you… and that I should save an unedited copy of the original recording, and then make a separate copy for doing editing, so as not to risk messing up the original.

But after I’d done the editing and mastering on this recording and went to save it as an .mp3, I had to give it a different name because I still had the original, untouched file that I had already (silly me!) given the “official” name to. So I ended up making an .mp3 from an .mp3, which I’m guessing is not really right. Hope it’s not too terrible a mistake… or do I need to go back to the unedited original and start again?

I hope all of this makes sense! If not, let me know, and I’ll do my best to clarify. I very much appreciate having actual human beings to talk about these issues with! :)

Sincerely,
Holly Masri
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

-Holly!

Thank you for this recording and for your questions!

This an absolutely superb reading of this chapter! :thumbs:

There is actually only one thing that needs attention. At the beginning there should be no more than ONE second of silence, and you have FIVE. The end does need five seconds, so you are good there. So, just trim it on the front end and upload it again under the same file name, and post the link here again with the new file length.

I love your expressive reading -- you make this chapter come alive! I particular liked the story about the lost eye :lol: And, the run between Bend and Burns, a stretch which I have traveled many times, still desolate and some of the worst weather in the crossing across central Oregon. At least it is flat and sraight.

The only real comment I have about the recording itself that you might want to work on is the consistent clicks throughout. I'm not sure what the source is -- not quite like mouse clicks and too frequent. Some of them in spaces between words could be cut, but you don't really need to do that with this recording. This is just something to be aware of for future recordings.

So, do consider taking some more sections in this project or any other projects that strike your fancy. You are off to an excellent start with LibriVox!

I will send you a PM in response to your questions rather than fill up the forum with my ramblings :lol:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pschempf wrote: June 4th, 2020, 1:46 pm Hey Larry -

Here's chapter 1 -

PL OK!
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

vvocelli wrote: June 5th, 2020, 3:19 pm Ready for PL:

CH 7 - 15:34 https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_07_putnam_128kb.mp3
Another fine reading!
PL OK Thanks you. :)
~ Larry
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Hey Larry, Can I claim sections 9 & 10?