COMPLETE [GROUP] In the Oregon Country by George Palmer Putnam - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jasonfink wrote: May 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm I cut and edited together a small sample for your opinion before I keep going. I've got a pretty good grip on using Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/in_the_oregon_country_chapter_2_first_portion.mp3
Well, thanks for a sample. :thumbs:

Now it dawns on me that I should put a special note on how to pronounce Oregon. It really grates on my hears when people say, "Oree-gone. I say, "Ory gone nowhere!" :lol: There used to be tee-shirts printed with "ORY-GUN."

But, you've got it right, of course. All of your technical specs are spot on.
The only comments I have about your actual reading is that I find the pace much too rapid, and there seems to be a lack of normal spacing between phrases and sentences, so the flow seems even faster. I think many of us struggle with trying to slow down. I know I still have to reign myself in sometimes. :roll:

You develop your own style, which is fine, but I thought this would be worth mentioning for your consideration since you asked for feedback.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of your recording. :thumbs:
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

Thanks, I'm from Minnesota from Scandinavian ancestry. Long O's are our specialty.

I had a few audible breaths and a cough so I went into Audacity and cut down the spaces between words where those occurred. I realize after listening back again that I cut several places too tight.

Is there a standard words per minute pace or another measurement I can use to help monitor?
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

I re-recorded my 1st sample before I leave for work. I purposely slowed down and was more careful with my edits. Let me know if this is better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/third_test_chapter_2.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jasonfink wrote: May 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm I cut and edited together a small sample for your opinion before I keep going. I've got a pretty good grip on using Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/in_the_oregon_country_chapter_2_first_portion.mp3
Good job!

This sounds much better.

I thought maybe that is what your were doing. Breath sounds and pauses are part of natural speech so don't over edit.
Of course, if there are coughs, overly long pauses, etc. that is different. I tray for a good, natural sounding flow, so do edit for pacing, but judiciously.

So, I say, "Westward, Ho!"
~ Larry
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

Thanks, I will get back to work on more of it tomorrow in the same manner!!
HollyMasri

Post by HollyMasri »

Hello! I would like to read Chapter 4, "The Land of Many Leagues". This will only be the second recording I've made, so if I'm forgetting something important, please let me know. :)
Thank you,
Holly Masri
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HollyMasri wrote: May 29th, 2020, 2:01 pm Hello! I would like to read Chapter 4, "The Land of Many Leagues". This will only be the second recording I've made, so if I'm forgetting something important, please let me know. :)
Thank you,
Holly Masri
Welcome!
I've signed you up to read this chapter.
Let me know if you have any questions; we are always glad to help.
~ Larry
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

Finished chapter 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_02_putnam_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Jason
silverquill wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:21 am

Good job!

This sounds much better.

I thought maybe that is what your were doing. Breath sounds and pauses are part of natural speech so don't over edit.
Of course, if there are coughs, overly long pauses, etc. that is different. I tray for a good, natural sounding flow, so do edit for pacing, but judiciously.

So, I say, "Westward, Ho!"
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

I will also like to claim Section 3 once my work on Section 2 gets the green light.

silverquill wrote: May 25th, 2020, 7:08 pm
jasonfink wrote: May 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm May I claim Section 2?
Hi, Jason!
Well I see this will be your first recording, so I'm glad to have your debut in this project.

I posted a note on your test recording, so please check that out.

I've added you to the LV catalog and assigned you section 2.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal catalog page where you can track all of your LibriVox projects, of which I hope there will be many. :)

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jasonfink wrote: May 30th, 2020, 5:10 pm Finished chapter 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/oregoncountry_02_putnam_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Jason
Very well done!
Thank you for your good approach to this and making the adjustments to produce a very nice recording.
(Small comment: The closing silence is 6 seconds and we like it closer to just 5, but no need to change this one).

I've gladly put you in for Section 3 :)
~ Larry
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Might I claim Section 13,
A Summer In the Sierra
s?

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TomHersant wrote: May 30th, 2020, 10:59 pm Might I claim Section 13, A Summer In the Sierra?

Tommy
Thank you!
This is yours.
~ Larry
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Being from Oregon and currently in California I found this chapter an enlightening look into the unspoiled past. The reading lasts 29mm03ss: oregoncountry_13_putnam_128kb.mp3
Tommy
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Oh, by the bye, the link to "American Leaders and Heroes" goes nowhere.

Tommy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TomHersant wrote: May 31st, 2020, 8:46 pm Being from Oregon and currently in California I found this chapter an enlightening look into the unspoiled past. The reading lasts 29mm03ss: oregoncountry_13_putnam_128kb.mp3
Tommy
Umm, that is not a complete link . . . .

And, thanks for picking up the broken link in my sig.

And we have a couple of sections left in Walnut Growing in Oregon viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79969

Yep, I'm an Oregonian, too, lived in Los Angeles for several years and than many moved a lot before ending back here in New England. My brothers still live down in Coos County.
~ Larry