COMPLETE [GROUP] In the Oregon Country by George Palmer Putnam - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

In the Oregon Country by George Palmer Putnam (1887 - 1950).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/in-the-oregon-country-by-george-palmer-putnam/
This little book does not undertake to present a comprehensive account of our westernmost States, or even of the Oregon Country. It is intended simply to suggest a few of the many[Pg xi] attractions which may be encountered here and there along the Pacific, the references to which are woven together with threads of personal reminiscence pertaining to characteristic phases of the western life of to-day. For the stranger it may possess some measure of information; it should at least induce him to tarry in the region sufficiently long to secure an impression of the byways as well as of the highways. For the man to whom Oregon, California, or Washington stands for home, these pages may contain an echo of interest—for we are apt to enjoy most sympathetic accounts of the things we love best. But for visitor or resident, or one who reads of a country he may not see, the chief mission of these chapters is to chronicle something of their author's enthusiasm for the land they concern, to hint of the pleasurable possibilities of its out-of-doors, and, mayhap, to offer a glimpse of the new West of to-day in the preparation for its greater to-morrow. -- from the Author's Preface ( Larry Wilson)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32164
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalog. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of In the Oregon Country. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "In the Oregon Country, by George Palmer Putnam. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [Number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of In the Oregon Country, by George Palmer Putnam. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    oregoncountry_##_putnam_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oregoncountry_01_putnam_128kb.mp3)
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: George Palmer Putnam
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: In the Oregon Country

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloging stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I will also be DPL for this project.
~ Larry
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Hey Larry! Can I snag Section 6 - "On Oregon Trails"? Much appreciated!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Ah, Oregon, a change of scenery. Be right back with the MW Larry...
..and there it is, let me know if you need anything else.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

aradlaw wrote: May 25th, 2020, 9:28 am Ah, Oregon, a change of scenery. Be right back with the MW Larry...
..and there it is, let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks, David!
Yep, Oregon, my home state, although I"ve not lived there for many years now.

All set and ready for Readers Wanted.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

vvocelli wrote: May 25th, 2020, 5:28 am Hey Larry! Can I snag Section 6 - "On Oregon Trails"? Much appreciated!
Sure. This is going to be Section 7 to make way for the preface.

I grew up right on the Oregon Trail, so this will be fun to listen to.
~ Larry
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Larry -

May I have section 1?
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Over we go to Readers Wanted.

And I will claim section 5 please - How the Railroad Came.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pschempf wrote: May 25th, 2020, 1:04 pm Larry -

May I have section 1?
Oops! Well,. I put myself in for this when I set up the MW.
Something else of interest to you?
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

aradlaw wrote: May 25th, 2020, 1:59 pm Over we go to Readers Wanted.

And I will claim section 5 please - How the Railroad Came.
Thanks and thanks!
I have you in for Section 5.
~ Larry
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

May I claim Section 2?
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Larry -

I see you claimed Secion 0. Did you also want section 1, ''Out West''? That's the one for which I was putting in a claim.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pschempf wrote: May 25th, 2020, 5:52 pm Hi Larry -

I see you claimed Secion 0. Did you also want section 1, ''Out West''? That's the one for which I was putting in a claim.
Oh, yes, of course!
Silly me. It is all yours, with thanks. :D
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jasonfink wrote: May 25th, 2020, 3:43 pm May I claim Section 2?
Hi, Jason!
Well I see this will be your first recording, so I'm glad to have your debut in this project.

I posted a note on your test recording, so please check that out.

I've added you to the LV catalog and assigned you section 2.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal catalog page where you can track all of your LibriVox projects, of which I hope there will be many. :)

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
jasonfink

Post by jasonfink »

I cut and edited together a small sample for your opinion before I keep going. I've got a pretty good grip on using Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/in_the_oregon_country_chapter_2_first_portion.mp3