[COMPLETE] A Casket of Cameos, FW Boreham (d. 1959) -mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You're in, Charlie. Thanks for your patience. Have fun, and ask if any questions come up! :D
quillnib

Post by quillnib »

mightyfelix wrote: July 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm You're in, Charlie. Thanks for your patience. Have fun, and ask if any questions come up! :D
Thanks, this was fun and a learning experience! (especially the edits!!!) :)

In any case, here's Chapter 2: David Brainerd's Text. Do let me know in case I need to make any changes after PL.
quillnib

Post by quillnib »

quillnib wrote: July 29th, 2020, 8:40 am
mightyfelix wrote: July 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm You're in, Charlie. Thanks for your patience. Have fun, and ask if any questions come up! :D
Thanks, this was fun and a learning experience! (especially the edits!!!) :)

In any case, here's Chapter 2: David Brainerd's Text. Do let me know in case I need to make any changes after PL.
Sorry I forgot to add the link. Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/casketofcameos_02_boreham_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Charlie. We also need the run time. :) I'll put it in the MW when I get the chance.
quillnib

Post by quillnib »

mightyfelix wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:17 am Thanks, Charlie. We also need the run time. :) I'll put it in the MW when I get the chance.
Okay, that would be 19:50.40 (mm:ss.ss).
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

quillnib wrote: July 29th, 2020, 8:41 am
Sorry I forgot to add the link. Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/casketofcameos_02_boreham_128kb.mp3
I see this already marked "See PL Notes" so I'll leave that as the status.
A couple of technical things.

-The opening and closing silences are both too long. As specified, no more than one second at the beginning and the end should be about five seconds. So, please trim these.
-Although not totally necessary, I think a little noise reduction would help. I would use the silence at the end as the sample and set the Noise Reduction feature to about 12

The reading is fine, except the reverb that you added I find really distracting from the reading of the text - just sound artificial and not true to the text. First it is the voice of an Indian, and the rest quotation of the Bible text. This would be much better read naturally. If you want to and emphasis in someway just by using your voice, that is fine, but the added reverb distracts from rather than enhances the Biblical text.

I may have missed some of the places, but here are the ones I noted:
2:46 3:38 5:20 7:31 8:50 9:50 10:38 13:11 14:30 17:43 18:03 18:24 18:34
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oops, I must have been in a hurry when I changed the status. Thanks for figuring it out.

And yes, I agree on the issue of reverb. It's much better not to use it.
quillnib

Post by quillnib »

silverquill wrote: July 30th, 2020, 10:41 am
quillnib wrote: July 29th, 2020, 8:41 am
I see this already marked "See PL Notes" so I'll leave that as the status.
A couple of technical things.

-The opening and closing silences are both too long. As specified, no more than one second at the beginning and the end should be about five seconds. So, please trim these.
-Although not totally necessary, I think a little noise reduction would help. I would use the silence at the end as the sample and set the Noise Reduction feature to about 12

The reading is fine, except the reverb that you added I find really distracting from the reading of the text - just sound artificial and not true to the text. First it is the voice of an Indian, and the rest quotation of the Bible text. This would be much better read naturally. If you want to and emphasis in someway just by using your voice, that is fine, but the added reverb distracts from rather than enhances the Biblical text.

I may have missed some of the places, but here are the ones I noted:
2:46 3:38 5:20 7:31 8:50 9:50 10:38 13:11 14:30 17:43 18:03 18:24 18:34
Thanks for the feedback. I'll rework this and submit in a bit. I guess i got carried away playing around with garageband features :D
quillnib

Post by quillnib »

Please find the reworked file uploaded here for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/casketofcameos_02_boreham_128kb.mp3
Length: 18:43.53 (m:ss.ss)

Do let me know in case of any changes to be made :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

YIKES!!
Preparing to do Section 14 C.G. Finney's Text and found missing pages. :shock:
The scanned copy jumps from p 166 to 171. So there are 4 missing pages. It is not just the numbering, as is obvious from the text sections. I couldn't immediately find another available version online. Maybe I should buy a physical copy.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: August 1st, 2020, 8:55 pm YIKES!!
The scanned copy jumps from p 166 to 171. So there are 4 missing pages. It is not just the numbering, as is obvious from the text sections. I couldn't immediately find another available version online. Maybe I should buy a physical copy.
:shock: Noooooo. :help: I'll see what I can do. :?

EDIT: I have a good friend who is actually working on reprinting a lot of out-of-print Boreham and other quality Christian authors. I just dropped him a line and I'm hoping he can find me a lead.
ahikam546

Post by ahikam546 »

I would like to claim section 11 "J. G. Paton's Text". May I?
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Gidday,
SEction 7, my apologies for the delay, I'll try to get it done in the next 2 weeks

Thanks,
Paul S
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: August 1st, 2020, 8:55 pm YIKES!!
My friend came through for me! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L7owyQE45NkExDCKNSPzyqfdm1lk6GwX/view?usp=sharing

This is a later edition, and I will need to look through it and make sure that the other chapters match the version we have. So don't record it just yet, just in case. But I think this will work for us.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ahikam546 wrote: August 5th, 2020, 9:51 am I would like to claim section 11 "J. G. Paton's Text". May I?
Welcome! I see that you have already passed your 1-minute test. Congratulations! I see also that this will be your first submission to LV, and I'm very happy that you have chosen this project as your first. :9:

I'm happy to assign this section to you. I'll need to know what name you would like to use for your catalogue entry. It can be your real name, your forum name, or any pseudonym you like. Also, if you have a blog or website, I can link it to your catalogue page.