COMPLETE[PLAY]The Double Dealer by Congreve - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 1:55 pmThis is my first attempt at uploading for a year
Hi Dave ! I think I remember you from one of the earlier World Story projects 8-) so we meet again.

And your narrative voice is excellent here in this act. :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doubledealer_stagedirection_1_128kb.mp3
The other acts should be much quicker, but I look forward to learning how much I should be doing.
the first act is always the hardest, as there is more to read for the narrator. And I hope you have not recorded the other acts yet, because you have done way too much work :shock: There is a lot you can cut out. Sorry, if the instructions regarding the character names were not precise enough. :(

Here are my suggested corrections. As there are a lot of cuts, it is recommendable to start the cutting AT THE END, that way the time stamps I'm giving you will stay the same for you, and you don't have to rummage in the file to find them:

> from 5:10-7:05: the whole prologue of Mrs Bracegirdle can be cut (but leave the title announcement !), as this is spoken by "Cynthia", which was played by Mrs Bracegirdle as well, so we kept this arrangement in this play. The same goes later for the epilogue, which you can leave out as the reader for Lady Froth will read this as well

> from 7:19-8:25: in the dramatis personae, you need not read the names of the original actors, could you cut those out in each part please ? Instead you would insert "read by...". It's, true, in 99% of the project this is an unnecessary precaution as the readers do their own voice credits. But we've had some cases already where the readers vanished without correct voice credit, so in that case we insert the narrator's voice there, so it's best we have all this once so it can be used if necessary.

> from 8:27-8:31: also for Chaplain, Boy and Footman, best read "Chaplain, read by", "Boy, read by" and "Footman, read by"

> at about 8:32: you forgot to say your own voice credit ;) "Stage directions read by Dave Lantz"

> from 8:58-9:19: all the Mel. / Care. you can cut out :? I am so sorry you did so much work in vain. But we have the characters all read by different readers, so the narrator doesn't have to say the names.
The only time you say the names is when there is a qualification right next to it (that's what was meant in the instructions Todd gave you), like "Mellefont, aside" or "Careless, angrily" and in that case, please say the name in full. As it stands, there was no instance in this act where there was a qualification to the name, so none of them were needed, sorry :(
So basically cut everything apart from the scenes, the names of the people who appear in the scenes and two or three stage directions in the middle of a speech.

Here are the other parts that can be cut:

> from 9:28-10:09: all the name abbreviations
> from 10:17-11:35: all the name abbreviations
> from 11:49-12:39: all the name abbreviations
> from 12:49-14:15: all the name abbreviations
> at 14:21: Brisk can be cut
> at 14:29: Lord Froth can be cut
> from 14:39-15:16: all the name abbreviations
> from 15:27-16:34: all the name abbreviations

this will give you a much reduced file :mrgreen: Again I hope you did not start yet with the other acts, you will see they will be way faster done now.

Oh something else concerning the sound. What did you do exactly ? Noise cleaning and amplification or was the original too loud ? It sounds a bit scratchy to me, so I was wondering whether maybe there was clipping, or maybe it's over-processed in the cleaning round. Could you give me a short sample (just 10 seconds) of your unprocessed file, just so I hear what it's like and what can be done to make it sound better ?

Thanks

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

awww, is he really so oblivious to his wife's scheming here ? Good-humouredly watching his wife do a "close dance" with a suitor.... :?

Excellent and PL ok again, Alan, thank you :) a short scene this time, unfortunately.

Sonia
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Sonia, Thanks for your helpful message. I haven't done any other recording, and clipping the file I've got should be a simple process.

"Oh something else concerning the sound. What did you do exactly ? Noise cleaning and amplification or was the original too loud ? It sounds a bit scratchy to me, so I was wondering whether maybe there was clipping, or maybe it's over-processed in the cleaning round. Could you give me a short sample (just 10 seconds) of your unprocessed file, just so I hear what it's like and what can be done to make it sound better ?"

I've saved the Audacity file from before I did any processing other than clipping my repetitions. That's not an .mp3, but I'll save a chunk of it it as such and send it. (How should I send it? It's not really intended as a submission, so I probably shouldn't use the uploader.) The original was too soft, but it belatedly occurred to me that I should have amplified and *then* reduced noise, rather than the other way around. From my recording last year, I vaguely remember using a program that measured the average volume level and recommended an amplification for Audacity, but I don't remember that program, so I just used the level that Audacity suggested. For Audacity to do any amplification, you have to allow clipping, so I did that.

As I said, taking out the excess is simple, and adding things like the "read by"'s is only slightly harder. When I get your feedback on the scratchiness, I'll send the corrected version. Thanks again. Dave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:30 amI've saved the Audacity file from before I did any processing other than clipping my repetitions. That's not an .mp3, but I'll save a chunk of it it as such and send it. (How should I send it? It's not really intended as a submission, so I probably shouldn't use the uploader.)
great !!! Yes please send me the original and I try to clean it to make it sound better.

And yes, you can use the uploader and even Todd's folder. It's for the purpose of this project so we can keep the files all together. Just name it doubledealer_test or something. It can easily get deleted later on
The original was too soft, but it belatedly occurred to me that I should have amplified and *then* reduced noise, rather than the other way around.
no that depends really...I also mostly clean the noise before amplification. It more depends on how "aggressive" are the numbers you use for the cleaning, I think that may be the reason ;) I'll check it out and let you know. Just out of curiosity, how soft was it ? It's still a bit under the accepted limit now.
From my recording last year, I vaguely remember using a program that measured the average volume level and recommended an amplification for Audacity, but I don't remember that program, so I just used the level that Audacity suggested.
there is the Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker to check your finished mp3 file. If it tells you the volume is for example 83 dB, just calculate up to the coveted average of 89 (=6 dB) and you can then amplify your Audacity file with 6 and you'll be good. If it tells you for example 96 dB (too loud), calculate back to 89 (= -7) and then amplify with -7 (include the MINUS sign !)
For Audacity to do any amplification, you have to allow clipping, so I did that.
ah that could be a good source of the crackling as well.... Clipping can distort the sound greatly, so we should avoid it if possible. Sometimes it may only be one peak somewhere in the recording, then it's not that bad, but if it happens over large chunks, one will hear it.
adding things like the "read by"'s is only slightly harder.
it's not hard at all. The easiest way is, open a new Audacity window, record the bits you need, amplify and noise-clean that part, then copy each chunk and paste it into the correct slot in your master file (you have my time stamps). The "read by" you only need to record once ;) and paste it everywhere. Other than that you only have to record your own voice credit, I think the rest was only cuttings.

Waiting for your file now. And I'm relieved you didn't do all the other acts in vain :9:

Sonia
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Test file for stage direction, Act 1, length 0:12, size 0.19 KB.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doubledealer_stagedir_test.mp3

I hope this is useful. Dave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:16 amTest file for stage direction, Act 1, length 0:12, size 0.19 KB.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doubledealer_stagedir_test.mp3
I hope this is useful.
hmm yes it is very low in volume to begin with. What microphone are you using ? Is there a possibility to boost the input volume with a toggle maybe ? And please check in Audacity, in the icon menu above the audiowaves, there should be a microphone icon, make sure your microphone is selected there ! And beneath it there is a microphone with a slider bar, make sure it's boosted all the way up to the + sign on the right.

Then there is already rustling in the voice to start with, so it wasn't the clipping that did this. There is also background noise, so maybe it can't be this, but just to be on the safe side, can you check in your volume program: should be the loudspeaker icon at the bottom of your screen - right-click, select "recording devices" - choose your microphone and press "properties" - then check under "enhancements" if there is "automatic noise cancellation" or "noise suppression" ticked on ? If it is, please untick that box ! This distorts the sound as well. Better to noise-clean it with Audacity after the recording. Automatic noise-cancellation in my experience is always too aggressive.

I cleaned your file once before amplifying, then amplified with +15 :shock: to get to the desired average, then noise-cleaned once again. This is the result: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doubledealer_stagedir_test_cleaned.mp3 I'm afraid it does sound similar to yours, only a bit louder.

Let's check whether it's the noise suppression, or if it's your microphone which is not selected by Audacity, and if it's neither of those two, well, I cannot think of anything else at the moment. But don't fret, it's not too distracting, so we can well accept it that way, so don't worry about it. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

A common problem is not having the microphone you want to use connected before starting Audacity. In that case, Audacity automatically changes to the built in mike in the computer, which likely has a lower volume (and quality, perhaps). And in some versions of Audacity (mine, for example) that mike selection can not be changed without restarting Audacity - even though it might say you changed it if you try to!

Thanks, Todd
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

I used the mic on a USB headset that my university gave me to teach online. It has a few buttons and lights (one red, one green) on a console along the cord, but I couldn't make it do much except to turn off the mic entirely; and the headphones don't work at all. I finally gave up on it for teaching. But in fooling with it just now, I think I managed to make the mic record with more volume; we'll see when I try to record the other acts. (That means, of course, that I can't re-record anything from Act I without starting over -- the volume level won't match. There are some explosive "f" sounds that I would like to fix, but they'll have to stay now.)

I know when the computer is trying to use its built-in mic, because then the recording sounds like I'm in a fishbowl. I have a stand-alone USB mic that I might try next time.

I've done the requested clipping, so I'll try using the Checker, then noise reduction and amplification, and send the file back in. Thanks to Sonia and Todd for their help. Dave
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Okay, I've done all that stuff, and I created the new .mp3 and tried to upload it, but on several attempts (with new exports of the file from Audacity) I got the same error message: "SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0". What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Dave
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

No idea - never seen that error message. What was the file name you tried to upload (so I can look for it)?

(You can highlight a short section in Audacity and change its amplitude independent of the rest of the file, so you still can cut in corrections if you need to. That's what I do when I am trying to get all the voices to match in the final master file.)

Thanks, Todd
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

The file name that resulted in the weird error message is

doubledealer_stagedirection_1_128kb.mp3

but you probably won't find it (at least the new version), because of the error. Should I come up with a new name for the file, because the old one is already there? If so, what are the rules for new names? Thanks. Dave

PS: I knew that it was possible to apply an effect in Audacity to a selected part of the audio file, but I'm not sure how to decide how much to amplify a part to make it match.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

That name looks correct. Did you try to upload it from the link in post 1 of this project and to my folder (automatically happens - gives you the /toddhw/ part of the filename)? I uploaded several things today without problems.... Could you try with a different browser?

You SHOULD use the same name. Our uploader will automatically change the name of previous copies when a duplicate is uploaded. In that way, the link in the MW stays accurate.

Thanks, Todd
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Worked that time! Length 8:19, size 7.61 MB. Maybe I was trying to use the uploader after my login had timed out?

Sorry for the inconvenience. Dave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:14 pmWorked that time! Length 8:19, size 7.61 MB. Maybe I was trying to use the uploader after my login had timed out?
yes that may well be it, I think I had that too once or twice.

The edited file is nearly perfect, only one small bit to edit still:

> at 5:06: "prologue spoken by Mrs Bracegirdle" - you cut "Mrs Bracegirdle" by mistake, please leave that bit in too, as title for the prologue. I hope you kept your old file, it's easy to paste it back from there

Thanks. Now the next acts will probably be much faster, as it's less to record for you.

Sonia