COMPLETE Homilies on Second Timothy by St. John Chrysostom - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 17th, 2020, 7:05 am

Homilies on Second Timothy by St. John Chrysostom (c. 349 - c. 407). Translated by Philip Schaff (1819 - 1893)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/2-timothy-by-st-john-chrysostom/
St. John Chrysostom (the golden-mouthed), the most famous preacher of his age turned his attention to 2 Timothy, giving a total of 10 sermons on this letter by Paul to his beloved Timothy whom he had appointed as an arch-bishop. This epistle is one of three that are called "pastoral" because they are concerned with the conduct of church leaders. It is considered to be one of the last letters he wrote before his death in Rome. (ancientchristian)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/homiliessjohnch02tweegoog/page/n190/mode/2up
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Homily [number] of Homilies on Second Timothy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Homilies on Second Timothy, by St. John Chrysostom. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Homily [number] of Homilies on Second Timothy by St. John Chrysostom. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Homily title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Homily]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Homilies on Second Timothy, by St. John Chrysostom."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename 2timothy_##_chrysostom_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. 2timothy_01_chrysostom_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ancientchristian on June 9th, 2020, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » May 17th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » May 17th, 2020, 7:28 pm

OK, you're read to go. I'm putting this into the catalog as "St. John Chrysostom on Second Timothy" to follow the pattern title Linette used for Titus (since that one is already in the catalog). I've also changed the title of your reading for 1 Timothy to follow the same pattern.

If you start any more projects from Chrysostom's sermons, could you please put them into the new project generator using the same format? It's nice if the projects all look similar in the results of a catalog search, and if you are working with different MCs, we may not catch to align the titles until after they are cataloged, when it would be more work to change.

Thanks.
MaryAnn

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 18th, 2020, 4:44 am

Sure I can use that title format, no problem.

Thanks for setting this up.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » June 5th, 2020, 6:55 am

MaryAnn,

It seems like this has been hanging around for a long time. Is there anything that can be done to attract a DPL?

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » June 6th, 2020, 10:17 am

Yes, we can change the name - which you have done. The ~ indicates that the project doesn't have a DPL, but adding that the files are ready is also a good idea.

You can also post an advert on the listeners wanted forum. Details are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668 Be sure to mark it "C" for complete, so folks know that the only thing left is the PLing.

MaryAnn

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » June 8th, 2020, 3:44 am

OK will do. Btw, is it possible for me to DPL my own recording? ... posting my comments here and making changes.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » June 8th, 2020, 11:16 am

Great.

We don't have people PL their own work, unless it happens to be in a language that no one else speaks. Bit of patience. Everything gets PL'd, some just take a bit of time.

MaryAnn

mleigh

Post by mleigh » June 9th, 2020, 12:50 pm

I can give the PL job a try (unless it is in anything other than modern English) if you don't mind a complete newbie. I could start with the first section and, if it goes well, can do the rest of it for you. I'm a retired librarian so have the time to devote.

M

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » June 9th, 2020, 4:56 pm

That would be great M.

AC has requested standard PLing. There are some guidelines here: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667. For standard PLing, you don't need to follow along with the text unless you want to. If I boil down the guidelines, for me it comes out to listening for things that make me go "huh?". Note the time and describe what you heard ...

Go ahead and give section 1 a listen, and then post in the thread. If you want to continue, I'll give you access to the Magic Window so you can update the status on the sections as you listen to them.

MaryAnn

mleigh

Post by mleigh » June 11th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I finished the PL for Homily 1. I noticed a couple of things that should be fixed.

1.At 11:28, the paragraph for verse 7, first sentence. It sounds like the word used was exertation(?). instead of "we should shrink from exertion".
2. At 20:36, it says "God wills this and does not retract". whereas the audio uses the term "detract".

Other than those two items, it sounded fine.

Just for information, I felt several of the pauses throughout were a fraction of a second too long but were not extremely long.

I'll do the rest of the PLing for you if you would like.

SC816

Post by SC816 » June 11th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Hello I'm volunteering for a scholarship offer and I need to volunteer 8 hours before July 1st. I am a newbie but I am interested in being your DPL. I will proof listen a few this evening, let me know If you would like me to continue the rest of them.

SC816

Post by SC816 » June 11th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Hello, I finished the PL for: Homily 2: 2 Tim 1:8-12

- Intro matched
- No pauses or silences
- Stumbled 4:23 ("Chains" sounds like "Change")
- No background noise
- Volume was low, needed to turn up to full volume to hear comfortably
- Closing matched
- Only 1 second of silence at the end of recording before it ends

Thank you,
Spencer

SC816

Post by SC816 » June 11th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Hello, I finished listening to Homily 3: 2 Tim 1:13-18

-There was no introduction
-No silences or pauses
-No stumbles or repeats
-No noise
-Perfect volume
- The ending matched the one on the project thread
-There wasn't any silence at the end of the file

SC816

Post by SC816 » June 11th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Hello, I just finished Homily 4: 2 Tim 2:1-10
-In the intro you forgot the, "for more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org
-there was a pause at 14:10 that sounded like your microphone cut out
- there is no background noise
-The volume was great
-The ending matched
-there is 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file