COMPLETE SOLO The Second Book of the Maccabees (King James Version)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

The Second Book of the Maccabees by King James Version (KJV).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/2-maccabees-by-king-james-version-kjv/
The Second Book of Machabees is not, as the name might suggest, a continuation of the First, but covers part of the same ground. The book proper is preceded by two letters of the Jews of Jerusalem to their Egyptian coreligionists. The first dated in 124 B.C., contains only an invitation to the Jews of Egypt to celebrate the feast of the Dedication of the Temple. The second which is undated, is from the senate and Judas Machabeus to the counsellor of Ptolemy, and to the Jews in Egypt. It informs them Egyptian Jews of the death of Antiochus, and invites them to celebrate the feasts of the Dedication and of the Recovery of the Sacred Fire. The story of the recovery of the sacred fire is then related.

The book itself begins with an elaborate preface in which the author after mentioning that his work is an epitome of the larger history in five books of Jason of Cyrene states his motive in writing the book. The first part relates the attempt of Heliodoris, prime minister of Seleucus IV (187-175 B.C.), to rob the treasures of the Temple. The rest of the book is the history of the Machabean rebellion down to the death of Nicanor (161 B.C.), and therefore corresponds to I Mach. II Mach. thus covers a period of only fifteen years, from 176 to 161 B.C. But while the field is narrower, the narrative is much more copious in details than I Mach., and furnishes many particulars, for instance, names of persons, which are not found in the first book. ( Bechtel, F. (1910). The Books of Machabees. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. - modified by ancientchristian)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/124
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapters [number] of The Second Book of the Maccabees. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Second Book of the Maccabees, King James Version. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapters [number] of The Second Book of the Maccabees, King James Version. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Second Book of the Maccabees, King James Version. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename maccabees2_##_kjv_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. maccabees2_01_kjv_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll be back with your MW.
MaryAnn
ancientchristian

Thanks MaryAnn
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

May I DPL please? Thank you!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That would be great. I've added you to the MW.
MaryAnn
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Oh, everything is ready!
Dear, Ancientchristian, if you don't write here, I don't get notified :( ... but now I noticed, will PL soon.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Mark. Were you interested in PLing the first book of M as well? AC has finished recording that one and it's just waiting for a DPL. If you're not interested or not enough time, no problem. I can post an advert in listeners wanted.

MaryAnn
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm Thanks Mark. Were you interested in PLing the first book of M as well? AC has finished recording that one and it's just waiting for a DPL. If you're not interested or not enough time, no problem. I can post an advert in listeners wanted.

MaryAnn
Oh, gladly, thank you for alerting me and please sign me up. I'll just need a few days to get around, is that okay?
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.1 PL OK.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.2,3 and the book are PL OK :thumbs: :clap:
ancientchristian

That's good news. Thanks chulsky.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/2-maccabees-by-king-james-version-kjv/